Any final anti-ping advice I should try before giving up on my FRPP Procal tune? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Any final anti-ping advice I should try before giving up on my FRPP Procal tune?

The Procal tune makes my GT ping. I've tried the octane adjust settting, the crank sensor re-learn, and two different brands of the highest octane fuel I can get locally. On the advice of the Ford Racing folks, I started the car and let it idle for 15 minutes. Am I overlooking something that has any chance of reducing the ping? I really like the tune other than the pinging, but I just can't stand hearing it any more. It pings at anything more than half throttle, and when cruising on the highway, it pings lightly if I accellerate even gently. The knock sensors don't seem to detect the highway pinging, so I've got pinging going on quite a bit. Any suggestions? Does anyone here have direct experience with the pinging magically going away over time?

2012 Premium GT with glass roof. Bone stock for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
GT Member

Something

Something is not correct. Did you buy this Pro Cal new? Do you have the strategy or PCM code correct from the factory inputted into your Pro Cal program? I ask because the code on the PCM determines the Tune that came in the Pro Cal and sometimes the vender is a good start to indentify this is not the problem. It is the first step in setting up a Tuner and I would get confirmation that this is correct.

T Wayne

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Bought it from BuyFordRacing.com, the unit was sent to me direct from Ford Racing after I provided the info from my PCM. The tech at the Ford Racing tech line insists that this type of pinging is harmless and "normal" with this tune.

2012 Premium GT with glass roof. Bone stock for now.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

NOT harmless and NOT normal,when the engine PING"S it"s like taking a sledge hammer to your pistons.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmegHead View Post
Bought it from BuyFordRacing.com, the unit was sent to me direct from Ford Racing after I provided the info from my PCM. The tech at the Ford Racing tech line insists that this type of pinging is harmless and "normal" with this tune.
Having had it, it's normal and it's harmless. People (who have never reported a failure) have been talking about this since 2011.

I had the FRPP tune on my 5.0 twice - it pinged the first time and it didn't ping the second time. Then I put blower on and the FRPP tune came off permanently. If I took the blower off again, I'd put the FRPP tune back on and never think twice about it. It's a great calibration and it works fine, noises notwithstanding.

2014 GT500
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012
Apprentice

This tune may work fine from Ford Racings standpoint but I don't hear of any other tuner such as BAMA, AED, Diablosport etc... that has issues with pinging.

2012 GT Premium, Ingot Silver, Brembo package, 3.73's, Clear Bra, GT500 Axle Backs, tint.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012
FordService

Quote:
The Procal tune makes my GT ping. I've tried the octane adjust settting, the crank sensor re-learn, and two different brands of the highest octane fuel I can get locally. On the advice of the Ford Racing folks, I started the car and let it idle for 15 minutes.
Quote:
I think you should try calling our Ford Racing Hotline at 1-800-367-3788 and speak to a tech there for more info, SmegHead.

Deysha
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012
PONY Member

Ford tune that is CARB legal in all 50 states. It is a tune that will pass emissions. You have to wonder what they did to get it to pass.

2012 Mustang GT M6, tuned by AED. 11.79 @ 116.26 with 3.31 gears.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Pinging is normal and expected according to Ford Racing.

Only way to fix it is either to run an even higher octane gas (100+) all the time or replace the tune with some other tune.

Current Ride: 2014 RAM 1500 SPORT
Toy: 89 RX7-Turbo (Future LS Swap)
PONY Member

I did have luck with Lucas octane booster. You could also try Torco.

Mike

2012 Mustang GT M6, tuned by AED. 11.79 @ 116.26 with 3.31 gears.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Anyone that tells you pinging is normal and not harmful... walk away. They are lying, or even worse don't even know better. Or ask them if they plan to pay for your engine replacement. ANY PINGING IS BAD, and if its bad enough for you to hear its bad enough to put a hole in a piston or worse. If you'd like I'll be happy to help you get into a Steeda custom tune that will run great and will not ping.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin366 View Post
Anyone that tells you pinging is normal and not harmful... walk away. They are lying, or even worse don't even know better. Or ask them if they plan to pay for your engine replacement. ANY PINGING IS BAD, and if its bad enough for you to hear its bad enough to put a hole in a piston or worse. If you'd like I'll be happy to help you get into a Steeda custom tune that will run great and will not ping.
And pinging usually starts even before it becomes audible. I'd be concerned for my engine if not my sanity .
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I'm getting pinging in 2nd gear and I don't even have to be wide open. About 50% throttle would do. It comes right pass 2k then disappear and does it again right by 4k and disappear quickly. Only in 2nd gear for me tho and its my favorite gear. I first thought it was my heat shield loose or something. I don't know what to make of this. Feel like I wasted so much money and time on procal and install for this bs.

2013 Deep Impact Blue Metallic MT-82 401a
DiabloSport in tune - AirAid CAI - SVT GT500 AB - Ford Racing P springs - Forgestar F14 - Roush rear/side splitters - Stillen chin splitter - CS Fascia conversion - LED fog delete - 2 much 2 list.... Official mod addict: D
PONY Member

i don't care what Ford Racing says..pinging is not good or normal. No other tunes do that unless they are bad.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discohouse View Post
i don't care what Ford Racing says..pinging is not good or normal. No other tunes do that unless they are bad.
Is pretty much how I felt and even called them to discuss it.

However, I wanted to keep the warranty and they assured me verbally and in writing that it was not abnormal and they have engines with over 200k miles tested with this tune.

So take it for whatever ya want. :?:

I like it other than the occasional ping I hear for about 500-1000 rpms during WOT.

Steve Horn or Marty
Ford Racing Tech Support
800-367-3788

Those are who I spoke with. FWIW, they do offer to take back the product if you do not want it or feel uncomfortable with it.

Current Ride: 2014 RAM 1500 SPORT
Toy: 89 RX7-Turbo (Future LS Swap)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page