Anyone notice a clunk on 6th after procal? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Anyone notice a clunk on 6th after procal?

After the procal went on I am getting a very noticeable clunk that I can almost feel through the cabin whenever I press on the gas(tip in) while cruising in 6th gear. I can almost play with the clunk. The harder I come down on the gas pedal the louder the clunk, and if I feather or very very lightly baby the throttle I can avoid the clunk. Anyone experiencing this after their procal? I had zero clunk stock. I like my procal but this clunk is definitely a deal breaker.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

2013 Deep Impact Blue Metallic MT-82 401a
DiabloSport in tune - AirAid CAI - SVT GT500 AB - Ford Racing P springs - Forgestar F14 - Roush rear/side splitters - Stillen chin splitter - CS Fascia conversion - LED fog delete - 2 much 2 list.... Official mod addict: D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012
Apprentice

I havent heard a clunk on mine, any suspension mods? I had a clunk on my 07 that happended when i hit The gas pedal turned out to be a loose uca

2012 Ebony GT 400a , mt 82, Roush cai, Pypes bomb muffler delete, Ford Racing procal w/tune, C/S frontfascia/Boss spliter, FRpp matte black wheels, reaonator delete, matte black stripes, Frpp p springs

1993 LX convertible.5.0 5speed, bbk cai,bbk longtubes, bbk offroad xpipe, flowmaster catback, pro 50 shifter, SVE udp's,gt40p heads, PP typhoon intake manifold, Frpp b springs, sve uca/lca's, AM cobra,r,wheels
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Just p springs but I had zero clunk before the procal. I noticed this as soon as I drove out the dealer and got on the freeway. Only does it on 6th gear and very very slight on 5th. you let off the gas and coast then press the gas again and there's the clunk or thump. This is ridiculous

DiabloSport in tune - AirAid CAI - SVT GT500 AB - Ford Racing P springs - Forgestar F14 - Roush rear/side splitters - Stillen chin splitter - CS Fascia conversion - LED fog delete - 2 much 2 list.... Official mod addict: D

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012
PONY Member

Just drivetrain slop. Probably getting a better throttle response.. which is making the slop more noticeable.

Build2 2011 Kona Blue GT. Premium, Brembo Package, 3.73, Glass Roof.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

That's what I was thinking. I thought it might of had something to do with desensitized throttle response since that's the only reason I could think of as to why now all of a sudden I would be getting this clunk. I don't get it tho, unless something changed for 2013 calibration I'm sure peoples would have mentioned a lot more regarding this clunk. This clunk can sometimes sound bad, especially the harder I get back on throttle. I can feel it through the cabin.

Any procal owners experience this? Especially the 2013 guys?

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LITER_MUENSTER View Post
After the procal went on I am getting a very noticeable clunk that I can almost feel through the cabin whenever I press on the gas(tip in) while cruising in 6th gear. I can almost play with the clunk. The harder I come down on the gas pedal the louder the clunk, and if I feather or very very lightly baby the throttle I can avoid the clunk. Anyone experiencing this after their procal? I had zero clunk stock. I like my procal but this clunk is definitely a deal breaker.
Bring it back to your dealer for diagnosis, 5LITER_MUENSTER. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area and have it looked into.

Deysha
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012
Apprentice

yep noticed it too. remember the tune puts more tq. down low, i think they say at 1500, 2000 rpm. right at cruising speed and its a two piece drive shaft. axle slop as some one called it. cluncks. mine has about 15k w/ tune. no major clunking, just my 2 cents.

1993 south carolina ssp.
h/c/i 307rwhp 317rwtq.

2012 race red gt. 6m, 3.31
frpp tune. 374rwhp, 378rwtq.
one speeding ticket
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Double post ..........

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks deysha. I will definitely keep you in mind. I'm going to give it a little more time until after the holiday to take her in to get it checked out and make sure there's nothing else going on. I will definitely contact you when I'm ready. Thank you.

99ssp, so you noticed the clunk in 6th gear when you come down on the gas pedal after the procal? I think I can take this much easier if it was only noise but I can feel the clunk more than I can hear. I noticed if I rest my foot on the gas pedal before pressing down then I can avoid the clunk, but if I just come straight down on the pedal then I'm getting the clunk. It's very annoying. More annoying than the pinging I notice mostly in 2nd gear in the low to mid rpm for a brief second. This is ridiculous I'm hoping as I put more miles on the car the clunk would go away or get better but I'm probably just dreaming. Overall, the tune is really not bad as far as power and it would of been perfect if it didn't cause any pinging or clunk for me. I guess it's the price you pay for using 1 tune for all.

FordService

Quote:
Thanks deysha. I will definitely keep you in mind. I'm going to give it a little more time until after the holiday to take her in to get it checked out and make sure there's nothing else going on. I will definitely contact you when I'm ready. Thank you.
You’re very welcome, 5LITER_MUENSTER. Keep me posted.

Deysha
Apprentice

it wont go away. again two piece axle, it bothers you ill try this afternoon, its allways a faint clunck. take it in, see what they say. keep me posted, fwiw, my car pings around 4grand too.

1993 south carolina ssp.
h/c/i 307rwhp 317rwtq.

2012 race red gt. 6m, 3.31
frpp tune. 374rwhp, 378rwtq.
one speeding ticket
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I ended up going back to stock tune, but I also wanted to make sure that it was the tune and not the car, and just as I thought, the clunk is gone and back to smooth sailing. So it's definitely the procal. I wonder if anything has been changed in 2013. The clunk is very excessive but the part that really get my attention is that I can feel the clunk coming through the seat and the pedal. Does anyone know if ford racing can taylor the tune accordingly?

GT Member

Quote:
I ended up going back to stock tune, but I also wanted to make sure that it was the tune and not the car, and just as I thought, the clunk is gone and back to smooth sailing. So it's definitely the procal. I wonder if anything has been changed in 2013. The clunk is very excessive but the part that really get my attention is that I can feel the clunk coming through the seat and the pedal. Does anyone know if ford racing can taylor the tune accordingly?
Best place to ask these questions is FRPP. I have called them a couple of times and they have been very helpful. FRPP Tech Line: 800- FORD788

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
Best place to ask these questions is FRPP. I have called them a couple of times and they have been very helpful. FRPP Tech Line: 800- FORD788
I see you have procal in your sig. Manual or auto? Do you notice any drivetrain slop after the procal in 6th gear? I think I'm going to give them a ring to see what they say. Hopefully they can rewrite the tune for me which is the only way it's probably going to get rid of the slop, but I seriously doubt it since I never heard of FRPP customizing a tune for anyone. At least I haven't.

GT Member

Quote:
I see you have procal in your sig. Manual or auto? Do you notice any drivetrain slop after the procal in 6th gear? I think I'm going to give them a ring to see what they say. Hopefully they can rewrite the tune for me which is the only way it's probably going to get rid of the slop, but I seriously doubt it since I never heard of FRPP customizing a tune for anyone. At least I haven't.
I have the auto transmission and I do not observe the "clunk" that you are experiencing. FRPP does change the auto transmission schedule as part of their tune. I would talk to them. The issue could be in a lot of places - torque converter, transmission, driveshaft, etc. FRPP may be able to arrange with your dealer for some "diagnostic work" to be done.

I do observe that when I take my foot off the gas the torque converter does seem to lock up and use the engine decel to slow down the car, downshifting as the speed continues to drop.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page