ProCal impressions after 3K miles - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

ProCal impressions after 3K miles

Pulled off ProCal a few days ago as I get my car ready for the winter and I must say it is an awesome tune in my opinion. The increase on the bottom end is impressive, it takes so much more pedal to get this car moving now. The around town driveability is also much better. I am really missing the additional engine braking in the tune and how quickly the revs fall now between gears. Having to re-learn driving this car again to be real smooth. Up top there isn't much of a change but thats not where this motor needs help. I did have some ping in the begining on the no setting and still a touch on yes until I did a crank sensor relearn and that solved issue completly for me. I do run the car around all the time on yes for added saftey if I got a bad tank of gas. This car is my daily driver and I wanted to keep my warranty in tact so the ProCal has been perfect. I would reccomend this to anyone that wants a nice gain without worrying about the warranty on the car.

Felt like writing this since I see some negative about this product. I was lucky enough not to have major ping issues like others.

13 DIB GT Premium

Track Pack and Recaros

MGW shifter, Kooks AB, ProCal

03 Dakota R/T
402 cube stroker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012
Apprentice

I have the ProCal and also store my car for the winter. Is there a reason you returned to stock? I generally like it also but have had some pinging. Seems to actually be getting better.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012
Apprentice

I'm curous about the 'detune' for winter, also.
If I did anything like that, it'd proably be just to swap the K&N for a paper element - then clean and re-oil the K&N in the Spring.

Well, I don't know about the 'bad rap' that the ProCal is getting.

It's a nice tune and a lot of us like it - I haven't heard of anyone that has damaged their engine with it.

Does the 'ping' I get bother me? Yes. Does it bother me enough to not run it? No.

If I could get the drivability in throttle response and JUST the low-end torque gains (no other performance difference past 3000 rpm) - and above 3000 rpm it was just like stock, I'd take that in a minute!
But I don't want to HAVE to stay between 3000-6500 rpm all the time - even if the motor likes it! And it does.

Sometimes I just like to tool around between 1500-2300 rpm, for the better part of a day in part throttle. Stock, there's nothing there, under 3000 rpm.

Maybe someday I'd consider another tune, but that would involve me still driving the crap out of it above 3000 rpm - for considerable gains, sure. But above that, stock is fine to me. I just don't want to HAVE to stay there. Make sense?

And, you're right. Stock, it's a different experience - work - because it changes all the time (performance) while you drive. With the tune, it's effortless - consistent - always the same outcome with throttle, clutch and gear 'throws.' Not all 'over the map' like stock.

For me? The tune stays. Ping n all!

2013 GT Premium - DIB | 6MT | 3.73 | Brembo and Suspension Package | HID | Security Package |
GT500 AB (SVT Sport) | FRPP Pro Cal tune

Previous:
2006 Red Monte Carlo SS (traded for the new GT 5.0)
1993 Red Stang LX | 5.0 | 5MT | Hatch

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I also pulled my procal but only after 3 days. The main reason, procal calibration on my 2013 was making my car clunk excessively in 6th gear when I hit the throttle. I can feel the thumping through the whole cabin. I also had a slight pinging in 2nd gear in the low to mid rpm but I could live with that but definitely not the thumping. It made the the whole experience feel "broken" not fit for my particular car. It feel like I just wasted my time and money on nothing. I do have to admit tho, the low rpm torque was lovely. I can only imagine what a more aggressive tune such as bama or AED etc would feel like. I guess I will find out soon since it look like I will have to go with a tuner that can customize to fit my car's character. I don't know if FRPP changed anything for the 2013 tunes but I'm sure there's no way anyone could live with the excessive clunk that I was experiencing... It definitely sucks

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

2013 Deep Impact Blue Metallic MT-82 401a
DiabloSport in tune - AirAid CAI - SVT GT500 AB - Ford Racing P springs - Forgestar F14 - Roush rear/side splitters - Stillen chin splitter - CS Fascia conversion - LED fog delete - 2 much 2 list.... Official mod addict: D
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by noco5.0 View Post
I have the ProCal and also store my car for the winter. Is there a reason you returned to stock? I generally like it also but have had some pinging. Seems to actually be getting better.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
My car is my daily so I will be venturing out in the snow with it so I returned back to stock running 87 octane. My winter tires and wheels just showed up.

13 DIB GT Premium

Track Pack and Recaros

MGW shifter, Kooks AB, ProCal

03 Dakota R/T
402 cube stroker
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03dakrt View Post
Pulled off ProCal a few days ago as I get my car ready for the winter and I must say it is an awesome tune in my opinion. The increase on the bottom end is impressive, it takes so much more pedal to get this car moving now. The around town driveability is also much better. I am really missing the additional engine braking in the tune and how quickly the revs fall now between gears. Having to re-learn driving this car again to be real smooth. Up top there isn't much of a change but thats not where this motor needs help. I did have some ping in the begining on the no setting and still a touch on yes until I did a crank sensor relearn and that solved issue completly for me. I do run the car around all the time on yes for added saftey if I got a bad tank of gas. This car is my daily driver and I wanted to keep my warranty in tact so the ProCal has been perfect. I would reccomend this to anyone that wants a nice gain without worrying about the warranty on the car.

Felt like writing this since I see some negative about this product. I was lucky enough not to have major ping issues like others.
I didn't have any ping, but I really like the changes the tune makes - both the added torque and the new transmission schedule for my 2013 GT auto convertible. It really changes the low/medium rpm character of the car. Unlike some other aftermarket tunes I have driven, there isn't a "super sensitive" throttle feel to the car. It pulls hard but smooth - without the "surging" of some other tunes I have had the chance to drive. It really adds "lots of fun per dollar" to an already fun car! And, the 3YR/36000 mile drivetrain coverage - in the case of a "tune related problem" - is great :smilie
.......I also have about 3K miles on the Procal Tune......

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Great review 03dakrt, I'm glad you like the tune without any pinging. I also have it and loved it from day one! No ping either. The low end torque is awesome, it does take you to learn the car a little at first, and on top of that you'll get better MPG. One of the best mods I did.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012
PONY Member

i dont understand why did you all go for the FRPP tune? there is a ton of evidence showing that the tune does nothing but a few torque gains at low-mid range and improved throttle response. are you guys doing it just for the sake of having your cars tuned while keeping warranty? which is basically spending hundreds of dollars for improved throttle response and not gaining much performance at all.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by by9468840 View Post
i dont understand why did you all go for the FRPP tune? there is a ton of evidence showing that the tune does nothing but a few torque gains at low-mid range and improved throttle response. are you guys doing it just for the sake of having your cars tuned while keeping warranty? which is basically spending hundreds of dollars for improved throttle response and not gaining much performance at all.
Improved throttle response and getting rid of the stupid skip shift feature were two of my biggest gripes about the car (other than the transmission) I definitely did it for the warranty protection. Not sure I'll have my car much past the warrantly period so wanted to keep that in place.
Apprentice

For me, the order would be:

1) Warrany
2) Low-end torque
3) Divability/Throttle-response
3) "Other" gain at or above 3000 rpm

Items 1 and 2, I can probably only get with the Procal tune.
The others may be handled by a different tune. Don't know.

I'll give a brief example. I have 3:73 gears and drive to work on the freeway. Speed limit ranges between 60 and 65. At 60, I'm a shade above 2000 rpm (maybe 2100). If there's a slight to moderate grade, and I need to pass someone, I gear down to 5th without the tune. Even on flat road, I find myself staying in 5th until I'm in the beginning of the powerband - maybe 2300-2500 rpm. So, I don't need to stay in 5th in the "in-between" speeds of 60-70 or so. I just gear to 6th and have enough "pull" starting around 58 or so, for anything that comes up.

2013 GT Premium - DIB | 6MT | 3.73 | Brembo and Suspension Package | HID | Security Package |
GT500 AB (SVT Sport) | FRPP Pro Cal tune

Previous:
2006 Red Monte Carlo SS (traded for the new GT 5.0)
1993 Red Stang LX | 5.0 | 5MT | Hatch
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by by9468840 View Post
Honestly, 412HP were enough power for me, all I needed was more low end torque and get rid of that stupid skip shift.
Guess what? The Ford Racing Tune gave me both! Along with a few more HP and on top of that a warranty! I couldn't ask for more...
And I like I said before; I tend to trust more Ford products than any other brands...

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Apprentice

Is there any of you guys with the frpp tune who has an auto? I read that Procal doesn't improve the way the auto transmission works. Is it true?
For me, tuning the transmission, improve throttle response and low-end torque are the only reasons I want a tune. The 5.0 has already enough power above 3000rpm for my needs.

2012 GT Premium, Kona Blue
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slpy4444 View Post
Is there any of you guys with the frpp tune who has an auto? I read that Procal doesn't improve the way the auto transmission works. Is it true?
For me, tuning the transmission, improve throttle response and low-end torque are the only reasons I want a tune. The 5.0 has already enough power above 3000rpm for my needs.
I have the FRPP tune on my 2013 GT auto vert. It definitely makes a significant improvement in the "low end" and "medium range rpm" performance of the car. Noticeably more torque. There is also a noticeable improvement in the auto shift schedule with the FRPP tune. It is much more responsive to a call for a downshift and there is almost no delay in making the downshift. It also seems the auto holds each gear longer, on the way up, even without WOT. I don't know if it makes the additional 16HP claimed by Ford, because I seldom operate the car at 6500 rpm. But I suspect the same guys that test the "stock tune" for Ford also test the FRPP tune for Ford (And probably on the same engine test stand/dyno). FRPP says:
  • Approximate peak increase of 16 hp and 7 lb-ft on 93 octane fuel
  • Up to 60 lb-ft increase at 1500 rpm!
  • Eliminates "skip-shift" on manual transmission applications
In the area of transmission programming changes on FRPP tunes, FRPP says:

"In the area of automatic transmission calibration, they generally make extensive changes to improve shift quality and give the transmission a more performance-oriented feel, without compromising durability."

2011-2013 MUSTANG GT FORD RACING PERFORMANCE CALIBRATION WITH HIGH FLOW K&N AIR FILTER | Part Details for M-9603-MGTB* | Ford Racing Performance Parts

http://www.fordracingparts.com/calib...on_article.pdf

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
Apprentice

Thanks Radioguy for the info. I will definitely get this tune along with the GT 500 axle backs from the Ford Racing Power Pack .

2012 GT Premium, Kona Blue
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Are you guys having ford install the tune then you get the handheld to keep or are you all just buying the handheld and doing it yourself, still retaining the warranty? I'm confused on this one. Sorry for the lack of know how here guys. Let me know. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2013 GT Premium, Brembo's, Track Pack, 6MT, Recaro's, Reverse Sensors/Camera, GT500 A/B, BMR Springs, Strange 10-way Adjustables w/GT500 Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, 20" Staggered Vossen CV2's/Nitto Invo's.....BMR UCA/Bracket, BMR LCA's, BMR LCA Relocation Brackets being done soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page