Stupid Oil Change Tick..... WTF - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Angry Stupid Oil Change Tick..... WTF

This is dumb, why does a $38K car have a tick after doing an oil change? You would think with technology now-a-days that something like this wouldnt happen. I use motorcraft 5w20 and motorcraft filters. This is my second oil change (currently at 9k miles), it did it for about 2 days after the fist oil change. Most of my driving is city driving which is why Ive changed it at 4500 miles each time. Hopefully it goes away this time, especially since Im tuned now and dont want to take it to the dealer.

Thanks for listening, felt like ranting for a moment.

2012 Race Red GT Premium | MT82 3.31 | HID/Security | Steeda CAI | BAMA 91P | JLT Seperator | Steeda Shift Bracket | Steeda ProAction Shocks/Struts | Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Mounts | Eibach Pro-Kit (Dub) | J&M Adj. Panhard | GT500 Axle-Backs w/Resonator Delete | Ford Racing STB | American Muscle GT500 Black Machined 18x9/10 Nitto 555
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingRedGT View Post
This is dumb, why does a $38K car have a tick after doing an oil change? You would think with technology now-a-days that something like this wouldnt happen. I use motorcraft 5w20 and motorcraft filters. This is my second oil change (currently at 9k miles), it did it for about 2 days after the fist oil change. Most of my driving is city driving which is why Ive changed it at 4500 miles each time. Hopefully it goes away this time, especially since Im tuned now and dont want to take it to the dealer.

Thanks for listening, felt like ranting for a moment.
I eventually gave up and let it go. Put over 20k+ miles on the engine since and it runs rock solid so I don't think it is a big deal.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

Change every 3k regardless of what the manual says. I don't like motorcraft oil either. Its not even made by Ford. Ford just places it up for bids every few years then the highest bidder gets it. For all you know you are getting Quaker state. Also 5w30 is better. 5w20 is to thin under heavy load. (High rpms)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post
I eventually gave up and let it go. Put over 20k+ miles on the engine since and it runs rock solid so I don't think it is a big deal.

Oh yeah, it runs like a champ, besides the little 1st-2nd notchiness when cold and the oil change tick. I put in exactly 8 quarts and I noticed that the oil level is toward the higher side. Not to the second hole but just a little below. I may try removing a little to see what happens if I get a chance over the next few days.

2012 Race Red GT Premium | MT82 3.31 | HID/Security | Steeda CAI | BAMA 91P | JLT Seperator | Steeda Shift Bracket | Steeda ProAction Shocks/Struts | Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Mounts | Eibach Pro-Kit (Dub) | J&M Adj. Panhard | GT500 Axle-Backs w/Resonator Delete | Ford Racing STB | American Muscle GT500 Black Machined 18x9/10 Nitto 555
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

What kind of filter are you running? Using a universal oil filter can cause start up ticks which means premature wear

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quan Cheese View Post
What kind of filter are you running? Using a universal oil filter can cause start up ticks which means premature wear

Motorcraft filter and oil on both changes.

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012
PONY Member

I know the feeling after my third oil change at 14k miles my car developed the dreaded undeterminal "tick". After several visits to two dealerships, over a month in shop, several dealership joyrides that were inconclusive, new timing chain tensioners, a new water pump, additives, a new steering rack (not related) and my car stranding me after lower radiator hose blew the day after leaving shop, the end result? Yep still ticks.

On the bright side all was done under warranty and yes I was tuned. Had it been a bad #8 I might not have been so fortunant with the tune and warrantee. Even brighter is I now have 35k miles and my car runs as good as ever. I just have to roll up my windows in parking garages or driving next to barracades. The only thing I can say for sure from my experience is my car ticks less after 3k miles and not at all or very little after 5k between oil changes. I have just learned to ignore it and enjoy the car.

I would have it checked out to have a record of service and ensure its not being caused by something major. I would hate to see you obsess like I did because I finally realized that I either needed to accept it and enjoy the car the way it was or get rid of it. Really hard to believe how this starts after a oil change and there really is nothing wrong if everything checks out. I am glad I got over it and it worked out. I still love my car. Best of luck!

Current
2016 gt premium, ingot silver, performance package, navigation

Previous
2012 gt premium, brembos, 3.73, 6mt, kona blue

2015 Ecoboost PP black on black 401A, security, enhanced backup

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Funny, the same thing happened with mine this weekend. Performed oil change #5 (17700+ miles) on Saturday and noticed 'the tick' when I pulled into the garage after driving around the block.

The sound was unmistakable, just like I've heard online, and I never had it before. Mobil1 Extended Performance and Ford Racing FL820 filter, same as I've always used.

Drove it to work today and listened in the parking lot after I got there...no tick. Listened in the garage when I got home...no tick.

I don't know why it went away, but I'm not complaining!

2011 GT Coupe Premium | MT82 | 3.55's | 400A | Red Candy/Stone | Security Pkg | Built 7/21
Installed: SVT Axelbacks w/ res delete, FRPP tune, K&N drop-in, strut tower brace, JLT oil catch can, PIAA/LEDs, GT500 splashguards, 27% tint

Sold: Rebuilt 1994 Mustang | Motorsports 5.8L/351W | HD 5M | DF clutch | 9" rear end 3.73s | Cobra 'R' brakes | aluminum driveshaft | street legal in SC (barely)
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012
PONY Member

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...warmed-up.html

Oils, filters, snake oil its all been discussed there. Good luck finding a definitive answer to this. I read through entire thread when mine was a crisis.

Current

Previous

GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingRedGT View Post
Motorcraft filter and oil on both changes.
Odd.

Rookie

Mobil 1 or nothing for me. No ticks.

2011 GT Premium, 6spd, 373's, 19in wheels, black on black, Roush AB,
PONY Member

Mine has ticked since the first oil change at 4k..7.5k on the clock now. Took it to the dealer..5 hours later. I was told nothing is wrong..they went all over it with a engine stethoscope and couldn't find a problem. Even though they did say they could hear it. Just said " these are noisy motors". WTH. Whatever guess I'll just try to ignore it

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.
BOSS Member

Garage
Sometimes it ticks and most of the time it don't. I use Amsoil.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
GT Member

The tick will lessen as you accumulate miles after the oil change. Mine ticked pretty bad after oil change but now it's barely noticeable at 55% on my oil life meter. Nobody knows the cause but it doesn't seem to be something that alters performance or longevity of the engine.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD View Post

Nobody knows the cause but it doesn't seem to be something that alters performance or longevity of the engine.
We hope! How many Coyotes have a 100,000 or more miles with a tick yet?

Current

Previous

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page