Finally deleted the dented Resonators.. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Finally deleted the dented Resonators..

I hit up a local muffler shop and decided to see if all the positive talk about removing the resonators had any truth to it. In short, the talk is right and It was well worth the cheap cost.

Instead of just chopping out the resonators and welding in 2 small 12 inch pieces of stainless tubing, my muffler shop chopped out the entire stock pipe from the end of the resonator to X-pipe. They used 2.5" stainless. $80 out the door.

Impressions? I immediately noticed it sounded louder the second I turned the key and fired it up. It settled to its normal idle (no change there). But when I give it gas I'd say its about 5-10% more aggressive sounding than before. Makes my Bassani Xpipe and axlebacks sing.

If you haven't done so already, ditch your resonators. Here are a few links to other popular resonator threads for all the noobs out there.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ffler-kit.html

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...k-exhaust.html

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...or-delete.html

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	res1.JPG
Views:	1453
Size:	558.1 KB
ID:	166989   Click image for larger version

Name:	res2.JPG
Views:	627
Size:	488.4 KB
ID:	166990   Click image for larger version

Name:	res3.JPG
Views:	1397
Size:	694.7 KB
ID:	166991  

-2011 GT , 6AT, ROUSH TVS 2300 Phase 3 Supercharger w/ CAI, 82mm Pully, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Bassani Longtubes, Bassani HiFlo Cats., Bassani Cat-Back Xhaust, Eibach Pro Suspension, J&M Panhard bar, BMR LCAs, BRENSPEED Tuned...(More in profile)
-1965 Fastback "A-Code" 2+2 , 289 4bbl Edlebrock Performance, Ravin Exhaust..
-1970 BOSS 302 - Dearborn built, Numbers matching 302 engine bored .030 over and stroked to 331. Grabber Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012
Apprentice

That's great but you went to 2.5 inch piping from 2.75.

2012 GT Premium, Ingot Silver, Brembo package, 3.73's, Clear Bra, GT500 Axle Backs, tint.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012
GT Member

They are not dented. They come from the factory like that.

SOLD: Black 2011 GT 5.0.
1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftoy View Post
That's great but you went to 2.5 inch piping from 2.75.

The resonators aren't straight through and neck down to about 2".
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012
Grimace427

I will be doing the opposite. I plan on replacing the resonators for some actual mufflers to hopefully tame my wild exhaust system. Was shopping around the internets last night and I think I am going for Pypes M-80s 304 stainless 3" @ $51 each. I have to wait for my next paycheck and get some of my firearms sold to have the cash though.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
I will be doing the opposite. I plan on replacing the resonators for some actual mufflers to hopefully tame my wild exhaust system. Was shopping around the internets last night and I think I am going for Pypes M-80s 304 stainless 3" @ $51 each.

That's it?! Hell I might pick some up just to have em just in case...

Did you get a vid yet of your current setup? Clearly I want to blow my ears out.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
This is correct.

2011 5.0 Sterling Grey w/Brembo's - JHR Shifter/Bracket/SS Clutch Line - Eibach Sportlines - Carroll Shelby CC Plates - JLT Catch - Axle-back ex. - BG SS II
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsadams87xx View Post
That's it?! Hell I might pick some up just to have em just in case...

Did you get a vid yet of your current setup? Clearly I want to blow my ears out.

So this weekend was all beautiful and sunny reading in the 60's perfect for shooting GoPro video, and there I was killing zombies in Borderlands 2.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
So this weekend was all beautiful and sunny reading in the 60's perfect for shooting GoPro video, and there I was killing zombies in Borderlands 2.

You incompetent turd!

J/k
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
LoL! Ho - lee - chit.

When I saw that for the first time I thought I did it! I've been secretly pissed at myself for almost a year now. When I go over speed bumps I literally get a flash of that image and it makes me paranoid-psycho.

* Facepalm *

NoVA just means Northern Virginia
VMP Tuned Roush 79mm Pulley ID1000 injectors & JLT Intake GT500 Axlebacks UMI Panhard Bar, LCAs, & UCAs
Steeda Ultralite Springs Koni STR.Ts 19x11 Gloss Gunmetal Forgestar CF10s 2012 GT Premium 401A Black&Brick
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVA_Mike View Post
LoL! Ho - lee - chit.

When I saw that for the first time I thought I did it! I've been secretly pissed at myself for almost a year now. When I go over speed bumps I literally get a flash of that image and it makes me paranoid-psycho.

* Facepalm *

Definitely no. Stainless steel is NOT easy to bend, especially like that. You'll get a loud bang, that's for sure (that's what she said! haha!) but a bend like that? Not without a lot of control factors.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsadams87xx View Post
The resonators aren't straight through and neck down to about 2".

I realize this but if your going to do it, do it the right way either the same size, or up a size not down. I understand that maybe most muffler shops probably don't carry 2.75 inch piping but you can buy a four foot section of SS for 39.00 bucks.

2012 GT Premium, Ingot Silver, Brembo package, 3.73's, Clear Bra, GT500 Axle Backs, tint.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftoy View Post
I realize this but if your going to do it, do it the right way either the same size, or up a size not down. I understand that maybe most muffler shops probably don't carry 2.75 inch piping but you can buy a four foot section of SS for 39.00 bucks.

I agree to your logic but anything is better than having those silly resonators in place. And it's not like a quarter inch is going to choke hold the gas flow that badly. JPC uses 2.75 all the way back on their 500+ RWHP N/A car. Borla uses 2.75 on all of their catback systems. Also, nearly all after market mid pipes that are 3 inch neck down to 2.75 to accomodate the factory over axle pipes. Same with pretty much most all catback systems too. They start at 2.75 and grow to 3.
Banned

Seems like it doesn't take much throttle to really make my Borlas really bark, so I would be concerned removing the resonators would have the potential of adding rasp, which I don't want. Did you get increased raspiness?
PONY Member

I got rid of my resonators when I bolted on GT500s ---- the sound is much better!

2012 California Special Convertible / Ebony Black / 5.0 liter / MT-82 / GT500 Axle Backs with resonator delete / Steeda Tri-Ax shifter & base bushing / Airaid CAI / BMR LCAs / BMR Relocation Brackets / BMR Adjustable UCA & Bracket / BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar / Steeda Sport Springs / GT500 Strut Mounts / Koni STR.Ts / Shaker 500 with Infinity 6832CFs / Redline hood strut / Redline leather shifter & E-brake boots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page