2011 GTCS software update... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

2011 GTCS software update...

The other day I took my car to the dealer for an oil change... I also had an appointment with a tech to see if there were any updates to sort out the extended cranking issue that happens once in a while,tech told me there was an update and he had it installed,and that I was up to date.
The car is a whole different beast,it's like a performance tune coming from FORD...the idle is now spot on,very smooth,power comes on way stronger and faster,way more improved driving imputs are easily noticed.
I asked the tech if he knew what this update was, all he told me was a software update was released by ford for this ECU... whatever it is, I'm impressed big time

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
Apprentice

Was there a TSB associated with that update?

post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Candy REDCS View Post
The other day I took my car to the dealer for an oil change... I also had an appointment with a tech to see if there were any updates to sort out the extended cranking issue that happens once in a while,tech told me there was an update and he had it installed,and that I was up to date.
The car is a whole different beast,it's like a performance tune coming from FORD...the idle is now spot on,very smooth,power comes on way stronger and faster,way more improved driving imputs are easily noticed.
I asked the tech if he knew what this update was, all he told me was a software update was released by ford for this ECU... whatever it is, I'm impressed big time
Great news, 5.0 Candy REDCS! Thanks for posting this update.

Deysha

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
PONY Member

How bad was your long start issue? Mine takes several turns to fire up..just thought thats how it was supposed to be..my idle is also random and stumbly..yes I said stumbly. I bet my dealer won't update mine though because the problem is completely random and I probably won't be able to re-create it on a service appt.

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
5POINTO

There is a TSB for this, 11-3-32 (5.0L calibration update). See attached....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSB 11-3-32 5.0L Calibration Update.pdf (724.1 KB, 435 views)
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
PONY Member

Oh after reading the TSB I guess I already have the updated software..mine was built 7/2011. Oh well

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Green View Post
How bad was your long start issue? Mine takes several turns to fire up..just thought thats how it was supposed to be..my idle is also random and stumbly..yes I said stumbly. I bet my dealer won't update mine though because the problem is completely random and I probably won't be able to re-create it on a service appt.
Pretty much what you described,it happened a few times, but I could tell something was amiss with the starting sequence... as I said, it was a prolonged crank, that does not mean it went on for minutes lol, but longer than it usually took.
The idle was a lil erratic,nothing crazy, but it was there,there also was the odd stumbling,that only happened twice, again it was nothing extreme, but it was noticeable.

FORD was aware of these lil nits going on because the ECU update corrected and smoothed out these issues,it's too early to say the prolonged crank issue has been resolved,but so far it's all been good.

The most obvious aspect of this is the way the car idles now, there is zilch surging,stumbling ect and it idles like a champ!
I'm not sure if this update touched on fuel map, but I would not be surprised in the least...power now comes on harder,more instantaneous and insanely linear... Ford did a good job addressing these issues.

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustSrvc View Post
Great news, 5.0 Candy REDCS! Thanks for posting this update.

Deysha
In typical Libra style I'm pretty even keeled... complements when they are due,negative feedback when it's called for... in this case FOMOCO created an update for a known rough spot with the 5.0, and it has worked perfectly in my case.
A quick "thank you Deysha" for all the tenacious help you offer members in resolving issues,your help is always appreciated <--- that's me thanking you!!! lol

The rest is all FORD
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

thanks 5POINT0, I've had the long start a few times my self. Never thought much about it. Mine was built on 8/16/2010

5POINTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeaz View Post
thanks 5POINT0, I've had the long start a few times my self. Never thought much about it. Mine was built on 8/16/2010
No problem, that's what we're here for.
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

My car was built 4/26/10 and I have the same problems,made a copy of the TSB, and am going to have my dealer install it on my car when I take it up for the once a year oil change,car only has 7,100 mles on it.
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Green View Post
How bad was your long start issue? Mine takes several turns to fire up..just thought thats how it was supposed to be..my idle is also random and stumbly..yes I said stumbly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeaz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
My car was built 4/26/10 and I have the same problems,made a copy of the TSB, and am going to have my dealer install it on my car when I take it up for the once a year oil change,car only has 7,100 mles on it.
Hello guys,

Please make an appointment with your dealers for diagnosis as soon as possible. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Candy REDCS View Post
In typical Libra style I'm pretty even keeled... complements when they are due,negative feedback when it's called for... in this case FOMOCO created an update for a known rough spot with the 5.0, and it has worked perfectly in my case.
A quick "thank you Deysha" for all the tenacious help you offer members in resolving issues,your help is always appreciated <--- that's me thanking you!!! lol
LOL! :happy Thanks, 5.0 Candy REDCS!!

Deysha
Apprentice

I just got finished rolling my FRPP ProCal tune back to stock. It had been on for a little less than a month.

(I sent you a PM that I was going to do this, Deysha)

My build date is 6/2013, but something is "different" about it now.
I can only conclude that they must have flashed my PCM with whatever the latest rev. was, prior to installing my ProCal.

I concur with the performance difference reported by the OP!
It doesn't seem as "weak" in the low-end and the "ping" is GONE around 4000rpm! Revs very quick and linear, right through the powerband! Idles very smooth, also. I miss the very sharpened throttle response that the tune gave me, but am very pleased in every other aspect.

NOTE: This does NOT mean there is anything wrong with the FRPP tune, it just wasn't working well for MY car/PCM. With the 'octane
adjust' set to N (better) or even Y (a little less better), my car still 'pinged' so I have to let it go. YMMV, and most people have FANTASTIC improves with no downside. I'm just not among them, that's all.

I'm very happy with the way it runs without, right now...

EDIT: Oops... I just read that yours is a 2011. No matter... SOMETHING is different.

2013 GT Premium - DIB | 6MT | 3.73 | Brembo and Suspension Package | HID | Security Package |
GT500 AB (SVT Sport) | FRPP Pro Cal tune

Previous:
2006 Red Monte Carlo SS (traded for the new GT 5.0)
1993 Red Stang LX | 5.0 | 5MT | Hatch
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxIsBackIn5.0 View Post
I just got finished rolling my FRPP ProCal tune back to stock. It had been on for a little less than a month.
(I sent you a PM that I was going to do this, Deysha)
Thanks, MaxIsBackIn5.0. Ill get back to your PM as soon as possible.

Deysha
Apprentice
5.0L Member

I have a 2011 gt/cs not sure of build date off top of the head. I have a bama tuner though would I be able to run this new software update or does the bama tuner basically take it off? I have a rough idle sometimes when the car is warmed up and it occasionally shuts off when I am downshifting to a light with clutch all the way in. Will this update fix that?

2011 gt/cs with Ford racing axle back exhaust, Jlt intake, bama tuner, Arh headers catless x pipe (took out resonators as well with straight pipe)
20% tint
425/397 before resonators taken out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page