Gear change in 2013 GT Auto - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Gear change in 2013 GT Auto

I did a search before asking but only came up with custom tunes to set the gear ratios....what I would like to know is, what are the gear options that I can have the dealer install in my 2013 GT Auto car and have them program the computer for....

It came with 3.15......so it is already programmed for that......

I know 3.31 was an option, so I am guessing the could install 3.31 in mine and flash the computer for that

is it possible for them to do 3.55 or 3.73? and flash the computer?

sorry if this has been asked, but I didn't find anything that didn't involve a custom tune....I want to stay away from that right now to keep my warranty....

2013 Grabber Blue 5.0 Auto Premium - Purchased 08/31/2012
GT500 AB | Roush TVS | Shaftmasters DS | JLT CAI | Lethal OR X-Pipe | Steeda Adjustable UCA | J&M LCA
J&M Adjustable Panhard Bar | Stock Converter and 3.15 Gears | Sipping the Kool-AED | Big Smile on Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_5.0 View Post
I did a search before asking but only came up with custom tunes to set the gear ratios....what I would like to know is, what are the gear options that I can have the dealer install in my 2013 GT Auto car and have them program the computer for....

It came with 3.15......so it is already programmed for that......

I know 3.31 was an option, so I am guessing the could install 3.31 in mine and flash the computer for that

is it possible for them to do 3.55 or 3.73? and flash the computer?

sorry if this has been asked, but I didn't find anything that didn't involve a custom tune....I want to stay away from that right now to keep my warranty....
Actually, 3.31 was only available with the manual transmission. The same is true for 3.55 and 3.73. Your Ford dealer does not have "stock tunes" for your automatic that support those gears. You can buy the FRPP Procal Tune from the Ford Dealer, which will allow them to reset the diff gear ratio to any of the ratios you mentioned.

There are also other "aftermarket tuners" that will allow you to change the differential gear ratio (Diablo In-Tune, SCT).

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
5POINTO

You can tune for any gear ratio you want. But with an auto I would not do any higher then a 3:31. This topic has been discussed before, just the other day in fact. Remember the 6R80 has more aggressive 1st and 2nd gears then the MT-82 hence the lower (numerically) gears. Even with a 3:15 it is the equivalent of close to a 3:55 if in a MT-82 car. All the quickest auto's are running 3:15 or 3:31 as any higher also means another shift.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
TMX
Apprentice

To me, going to 3.31 is a waste of money. It's such a tiny improvement over stock, I don't see it making much difference. None that's worth the cost of parts and labor. May as well stick a 26" drag radial on for the same effect and get more traction. If you want to go boosted route, stick with 3.15 or a 3.55. If you want to go NA, 3.55 or 3.73. The 4.10 is more for people who dislike freeways, but enjoy track days. I have not seen any autos in the 11s with just CAI, exhaust, tune, wheels, and suspension. Seen a couple make it with the addition of high gears. Though I could be wrong. I haven't paid that close attention to time slips posted. Just don't make the mistake of a high gear and a short tire like I did. I wouldn't have that last second shift if I had a taller tire.

2011 Mustang GT Auto
Zex 150-shot, CAI, Hearthrob H-pipe no-resonators, Flowmaster American Thunder axle-back, PSI Motorsports tuned, 4.10s, springs, shocks, struts, sway bars, adjustable panhard bar, adjustable UCA, LCA relocation brackets, LCA, and 275/60-15 MT Radial Pros.
12.236 NA before nitrous
11.719 with nitrous spinning through first.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
5POINTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMX View Post
To me, going to 3.31 is a waste of money. It's such a tiny improvement over stock, I don't see it making much difference. None that's worth the cost of parts and labor. May as well stick a 26" drag radial on for the same effect and get more traction. If you want to go boosted route, stick with 3.15 or a 3.55. If you want to go NA, 3.55 or 3.73. The 4.10 is more for people who dislike freeways, but enjoy track days. I have not seen any autos in the 11s with just CAI, exhaust, tune, wheels, and suspension. Seen a couple make it with the addition of high gears. Though I could be wrong. I haven't paid that close attention to time slips posted. Just don't make the mistake of a high gear and a short tire like I did. I wouldn't have that last second shift if I had a taller tire.
A 3:73 is too much for an auto, a 4:10 is pure overkill for an auto. The absolute max IMO is a 3:55 unless your car is a pure drag car.

FYI there are many autos in the 11's with 3:15's, tune, CAI, exhaust, suspension and tires. I know of three personally. One runs 11.70's all day...I actually read a few who did gears, and ended up going back. That extra shift is a killer, and the power band with the higher 1st and 2nd gears of the 6R80 doesn't always work.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
Actually, 3.31 was only available with the manual transmission. The same is true for 3.55 and 3.73. Your Ford dealer does not have "stock tunes" for your automatic that support those gears. You can buy the FRPP Procal Tune from the Ford Dealer, which will allow them to reset the diff gear ratio to any of the ratios you mentioned.
I think FRPP ProCal tuner is the best option for this guy. People have reported using it w/out voiding the warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5POINTO View Post
A 3:73 is too much for an auto, a 4:10 is pure overkill for an auto. The absolute max IMO is a 3:55 unless your car is a pure drag car.
I only agree with this if he's running stock wheels. I upgraded to 20"s on my Auto and couldn't imagine anything less than my 3.73s. And I run a more agrressive street tune than what the ProCal will provide.

-2011 GT , 6AT, ROUSH TVS 2300 Phase 3 Supercharger w/ CAI, 82mm Pully, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Bassani Longtubes, Bassani HiFlo Cats., Bassani Cat-Back Xhaust, Eibach Pro Suspension, J&M Panhard bar, BMR LCAs, BRENSPEED Tuned...(More in profile)
-1965 Fastback "A-Code" 2+2 , 289 4bbl Edlebrock Performance, Ravin Exhaust..
-1970 BOSS 302 - Dearborn built, Numbers matching 302 engine bored .030 over and stroked to 331. Grabber Blue
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012
PONY Member

I have had 3.15 (stock) 3.73, 4.10, 3.55 and now 3.31

If you stay N\A with no converter 4.10's is your best option. If you go FI, Nitrous and or converter 3.31 is your best choice. Just giving you my experience over the last year

20 x 8.5 - 10 TSW Nurburgring rims, 255/45/20 Nitto Invo, 315/30/20 R888 Toyo Proxes, Steeda LCA, Steeda Panhard bar, Roush UCA, Eibach front and rear sway bar kit, Eibach coilovers, C&L CAI, Kooks 1 -3/4 Kooks headers and offroad x-pipe, Magnaflow street series cat back, Boss 302 intake, AED tune, Circle D 3700 stall, FRPP 3.31, DSS carbon fiber drive shaft, Vortech JT 8 rib kit 3.48 pulley, ID 1000 injectors, Fore Innovations return style fuel system, LMR braided brake lines.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013
Sparkypilot

First off, dealers dont like to swap gears, dealer could get fined, secondly, dealer does not have a way to change ECU fr gear change. Procal or any other tuner will work. Procal is warranty, anyother is warranty void. FYI: Don't pay attention to folks staying NA & doing 4.10's in a A6, they're clueless.. 4.10's in the A6 are equal to 4.40's (if they could exist) in a MT82 car. The first gear in the 6R80 is equivelent to a 3.77 axle in the MT82 car. 3.31's in the A6 are about equal to 3.91 in the MT82 and 3.55's in the A6 are equal to 4.10's in a manual. Putting anything past 3.55's in your A6 5.0 will be worthless. You'll be spinning tires all over. Your not winning if your spinning. 3.73's in the A6 is overkill big time unless 50% of your driving is track only. In fact it's this first gear that is why the A6 is equally as fast as the MT82 in the 1/4. Sixth gear is also same as first in the 6R80. Your mpg will go down the tubes with 3.73's in the A6... Going from 3.15's to 3.31's in the A6 is equal to going from the oem 3.31's to 3.73's in a manual. The difference will be BIG. stock converter. 3.31's are the fastest set up for a fast DD street car NA. 3.31's are still good for light boost (4-6psi) or upto a 75hp shot. Also, going above 3.73's you start losing hp above 4500rpm. Here you go: 3.31 gears, driveshaft, UCA/LCA's, converter, and tune with sticky tires and your at near 475-480 crank hp & high 11's at over 116mph in the 1/4...in cool air and low DA of course.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks man....I have since added a Roush Supercharger....I have decided to keep the 3.15 gears....After all my Warranties run out, I will be going with a Circle D converter and still keep the 3.15 gears...

Should be fun

2013 Grabber Blue 5.0 Auto Premium - Purchased 08/31/2012
GT500 AB | Roush TVS | Shaftmasters DS | JLT CAI | Lethal OR X-Pipe | Steeda Adjustable UCA | J&M LCA
J&M Adjustable Panhard Bar | Stock Converter and 3.15 Gears | Sipping the Kool-AED | Big Smile on Driver
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_5.0 View Post
Thanks man....I have since added a Roush Supercharger....I have decided to keep the 3.15 gears....After all my Warranties run out, I will be going with a Circle D converter and still keep the 3.15 gears...

Should be fun
Fastest way to go...fast!

Rookie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkypilot View Post
First off, dealers dont like to swap gears, dealer could get fined, secondly, dealer does not have a way to change ECU fr gear change. Procal or any other tuner will work. Procal is warranty, anyother is warranty void. FYI: Don't pay attention to folks staying NA & doing 4.10's in a A6, they're clueless.. 4.10's in the A6 are equal to 4.40's (if they could exist) in a MT82 car. The first gear in the 6R80 is equivelent to a 3.77 axle in the MT82 car. 3.31's in the A6 are about equal to 3.91 in the MT82 and 3.55's in the A6 are equal to 4.10's in a manual. Putting anything past 3.55's in your A6 5.0 will be worthless. You'll be spinning tires all over. Your not winning if your spinning. 3.73's in the A6 is overkill big time unless 50% of your driving is track only. In fact it's this first gear that is why the A6 is equally as fast as the MT82 in the 1/4. Sixth gear is also same as first in the 6R80. Your mpg will go down the tubes with 3.73's in the A6... Going from 3.15's to 3.31's in the A6 is equal to going from the oem 3.31's to 3.73's in a manual. The difference will be BIG. stock converter. 3.31's are the fastest set up for a fast DD street car NA. 3.31's are still good for light boost (4-6psi) or upto a 75hp shot. Also, going above 3.73's you start losing hp above 4500rpm. Here you go: 3.31 gears, driveshaft, UCA/LCA's, converter, and tune with sticky tires and your at near 475-480 crank hp & high 11's at over 116mph in the 1/4...in cool air and low DA of course.

Yea, its an old thread...but someone will read this!

You are EXACTLY right and did your homework on the gear comments. Guys who post about 3.73 and 4.10 being a correct fit for this model year either dont own a 13-14 GT (I have a 13 GT auto)or have no real experience with gear swaps. Just because a number sounds "low" doesnt mean its incorrect!

Heres my former dilemma and why Im sticking with 3.15...

I currently have a Bama hybrid tune which means HUGE low end power. My tires can spin in 1st and chirp in 2nd, 3rd no problems. 0-60 is breathtaking.

OR

I can buy a really deep gear like a 3.55 or 3.73 and get the same tire spin (way too much probably) at the cost of giving up the hybrid tune...would be a tire spinning mess and I'd be forced to permanently use a lesser tune. Gears take away some gas mileage and your car will rev a bit higher at EVERY speed = more engine wear = shorter engine life. You then must run out to buy 20 inch tires and rims just for that gear swap to function. Who does that?

Dont go above a 3.31, get yourself a "torque" tune and dont get caught up in a number. Tell me later how awesome it is...I run 0-60 in under 4 on occasion - with 3.15s!

V6 - 2.73 to 3.73 or even 4.1, make TOTAL sense. Early model GTs or manuals, 3.73 makes sense. 5 previous mustangs and 3 gear swaps for me. Not this time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page