2013 Mustang GT Bolt On Questions... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

2013 Mustang GT Bolt On Questions...

Alright all,

I have quite a lot of questions and this will probably be a novel when I'm done. Maybe not...

Long story short, I originally wanted to buy a catback for my 2013 Mustang GT Automatic...and now I'm looking at headers, X/H pipe, catback, CAI and tuner. Yes, I jumped up quite a bit.

Many of the catbacks I've been looking at haven't been tested on 2013's yet. Some companies say they may not fit the same. If anyone with a 2013 has any of the parts I'm going to list, I'd appreciate it.

My top 3 exhaust choices are...

MBRP: 1 7/8" 304 SS headers, 409 SS H pipe and 409 SS catback. This is the best deal BY FAR, as I can get it all for around $1850 to my door.

Stainless Works: 1 7/8" 304 SS headers and X pipe and their retro 304 SS catback. I'm working on a price with these but they seem to be at least $300-400 more for me.

I also heard about chambered exhausts not flowing as well or providing as much power? Correct me if I'm wrong please...or if someone has this system, please chime in.

Kooks: 1 7/8" 304 SS headers, with an offroad X or H pipe and their 304 SS catback exhaust. Again, I haven't got a solid price on this yet, but it seems to be almost $1,000 more than the MBRP. It's a bit much, to be honest.

I'm open to other options, but I kind of wanted to keep things simple buy going with one manufacturer. I've seen headers like Dynatech (which are pretty awesome) and would go with those if I end up doing a custom header-back system from an exhaust shop.

Also, MBRP as well as a few others don't have the 2013 Mustang listed yet. They're not sure if the exhaust will fit. I guess I'm at their mercy until they get a 2013 in there to test or if anyone with a 2013 has put headers/exhaust on.

On top of the exhaust situation, I'd like to get a CAI. I have my mind set on the Steeda. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Again, I'm open to others.

As for tuning, I'd probably just run whatever tune came with where I bought the parts from for the time being. I was originally going to get an AED tune, but there is a local dyno that tunes race cars and they have done a bunch of new 5.0's (including the automatic ones) so I'll probably go with them. They are very well known where I live.

That pretty much sums it up for now. Yes, I've searched about 1 million times and have read many reviews...it's hard to with the 2013 Mustang because it's still so new.

Much thanks!

2013 Mustang GT - 402A GT/CS - 6R80 - Glass Roof - Engine Block Heater - SGM Exterior - CB/Miko Interior

Steeda Adjustable PHB (Street) and Steeda PH Brace, Stainless Works Retro Catback Exhaust...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
Banned

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 with MBRP "Race Series" Exhaust and Headers - YouTube

Quite a sound in my opinion. But from what I can gather just off of youtube videos, this is easily one of the most aggressive and LOUDEST setups possible.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
Grimace427

If I were to do it all over again, I would probably skip the headers especially for a primarily street driven car. The exhaust becomes racecar loud, pain in the ass to install, and major pain in the ass to remove should you consider selling/trading in the car in the future.

Exhaust systems that fit 2011-12 models also fit the 2013s, opinions stating otherwise needs to stop. I installed a set of Borla S-types on a 2013 that are identical to the ones on my car now. I had both cars side by side up on my lifts and there were zero mechanical differences. The only change is to the rear fascia.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

nsadams87xx - Yeah, I've seen that video. It sounds stupid loud. Which I have to be honest...I love it!

Grimace427 - I hear that. My pop's headers on his 2000 Mustang GT were a PITA to install. Also, what you say about removing them...yeah, I would hope my car dies with me or it just blows up/catches on fire (one of the two) so I don't have to do it again, Haha!

Seriously, though...the noise may not be an issue for me since I only have 3.15's in the rear and an automatic that likes to shift at 1500rpm. So around town and on the highway it shouldn't pose a problem. It's just getting on it that will be wicked loud.

Also, as for fitment...I was really unsure of it. Many places have told me that it may pose an issue. Even MBRP isn't sure. The place I'm ordering from said that if there is an issue, they'll take them back...so I guess my ass is covered in that case.

I'll probably end up pulling the trigger...I just didn't think I'd be doing all of this so soon. I'm weighing it right now. Maybe I'll just stick to suspension and wheels/tires. Or nothing and just enjoy the car. Bah.

2013 Mustang GT - 402A GT/CS - 6R80 - Glass Roof - Engine Block Heater - SGM Exterior - CB/Miko Interior

Steeda Adjustable PHB (Street) and Steeda PH Brace, Stainless Works Retro Catback Exhaust...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member

For all that money, I'd consider just getting some GT500 mufflers, and put the rest towards some hood struts, sound tube delete, MGW shifter and a custom shift knob. Better bang for the buck!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

^ LOL?

Not sure if joke or not...

Anyway, obviously it's up to me whether I buy all this stuff...it was more of a question related to the parts fitting more than anything.

Either way, I'm 100% set on the stuff from MBRP. Does anyone have any exp with them...in terms of fitment, etc?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page