2013 M/T Feels Very Sloshy After Long Highway Drive (Overheating?) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

2013 M/T Feels Very Sloshy After Long Highway Drive (Overheating?)

Hey y'all,

I've been looking into a lot of the old M/T problem threads, but haven't seen anything like my situation (at least I don't think so). I'll preface this by saying I have zero issues with the M/T during everyday driving. It's smooth when it's warmed up.

My problem creeps up after I've driven awhile at highway speeds like today when I drove ~70mi from Austin to San Antonio. The shifting action becomes very sloshy as if the gearbox is full of wet sand. Under normal conditions I can be in gear and with minimal effort sort of pop the gear back to neutral. When the tranny is screwed up, I have to move the shifter around searching for neutral or another gear. The smooth action that I've come to expect is completely gone. Typically in neutral I can wiggle the shifter left and right. In this bad state, I can only seem to move it left. It just refuses to go right towards 5th/6th. I've had this happen once before when I was driving around a hilly area at low speeds before hoping on the highway. In that case, I couldn't get the car into gear at all. Fortunately I was in my apartment parking lot at the time.

I suspect overheating could be the issue because sitting at a light for a minute and wiggling around the stick seemed to help a tiny bit today. Parking the car and turning it off for a few minutes makes a big difference.

I'm going to try and get it to the dealer on Saturday. The tricky part is recreating the problem.

I'd like to hear some other informed opinions.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Don't be surprised if you get the famous "can't replicate" comment from your dealer since you said it usually happen after a long commute. The dealer barely drive a mile before they come up with their finding. I have squeaking and creaking driver side suspension whenever I go over big bumps and been dealing with it for about 2 months now. As soon as I decide to take it to my dealer the noise fainted to almost not even there anymore. I thought this was VERY strange. However, if nothing work out for you I'm sure you will hear peoples tell you to get a 2 post bracket or a new shifter kit such as MGW or Barton. Before you do all that try the black energy suspension bushing for $20 bucks. This simple solid bushing will do wonders with almost zero noise. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

2013 Deep Impact Blue Metallic MT-82 401a
DiabloSport in tune - AirAid CAI - SVT GT500 AB - Ford Racing P springs - Forgestar F14 - Roush rear/side splitters - Stillen chin splitter - CS Fascia conversion - LED fog delete - 2 much 2 list.... Official mod addict: D
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Trans Help

Contact Deysha, She can escalate the problem you are having to your dealer and let them know adhead of time what to expect. She is good people and has helped me in the past with my transmission problem.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012
GT Member

Stock shifter = slop MGW is your answer, I drove to florida straight through 1200 miles only stopping for gas and the bathroom, tranny and shifter was perfect..

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012
Rookie

My MT82 transmission experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1028 View Post
Hey y'all,

I've been looking into a lot of the old M/T problem threads, but haven't seen anything like my situation (at least I don't think so). I'll preface this by saying I have zero issues with the M/T during everyday driving. It's smooth when it's warmed up.

My problem creeps up after I've driven a while at highway speeds like today when I drove ~70mi from Austin to San Antonio. The shifting action becomes very sloshy as if the gearbox is full of wet sand. Under normal conditions I can be in gear and with minimal effort sort of pop the gear back to neutral. When the tranny is screwed up, I have to move the shifter around searching for neutral or another gear. The smooth action that I've come to expect is completely gone. Typically in neutral I can wiggle the shifter left and right. In this bad state, I can only seem to move it left. It just refuses to go right towards 5th/6th. I've had this happen once before when I was driving around a hilly area at low speeds before hoping on the highway. In that case, I couldn't get the car into gear at all. Fortunately I was in my apartment parking lot at the time.

I suspect overheating could be the issue because sitting at a light for a minute and wiggling around the stick seemed to help a tiny bit today. Parking the car and turning it off for a few minutes makes a big difference.

I'm going to try and get it to the dealer on Saturday. The tricky part is recreating the problem.

I'd like to hear some other informed opinions.

Thanks
I have a 2012 Boss Mustang that would not shift well while under power and high rpm.It was impossible to shift from 2nd to 3rd. I then Procharged the engine which is putting out 630 rwhp and the shifting was impossible. I was looking at the Tremec Magnum XL to install and basically give up on the MT transmission. I was advised to try the Barton shifter with the two post bracket along with BG syncroshift 2 synthetic transmission fluid and the high volume clutch throughout bearing line. I installed these items and could not believe it was the same transmission. The transmission can shift crisply between gears at any rpm. The feel of the Barton shifter with the two post bracket is great. It has improved the whole driving experience of the car.

Last edited by whiteboss; 11-25-2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: miss spelled words
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

I understand there are aftermarket parts that improve shifting feel and speed overall, but my issue is degradation of shifting performance (slushy, difficult to get into gear) that only occurs under specific conditions (driving for maybe an hour or so at highway speed).

I honestly don't have a big problem with shifting during everyday driving (except cold starts like everyone else). I have looked into the barton brackets and the different bushings out there and would like to do it down the line, but not if there's a chance my warranty will be jeopardized which is a risk you take with some upgrades like these.

Anyway I swung by the dealer and explained my problem. Service guy was nice. He asked around if anyone had heard of my symptoms but he hadn't which I half-expected. I told him outright that I've only experienced this issue twice after long periods of driving and we both were on the same page that the service techs probably won't be able to reproduce it easily. I don't expect them to drive my car 70+ miles. They did get my car up on the lift to make sure the transmission fluid was topped off and it was.

I'll be taking another long trip around Christmas time. My plan is to drive straight to the dealership because I expect to encounter this issue again. I'll need to have the service advisor and techs ready to jump in the car so they can see the issue for themselves.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1028 View Post
Hey y'all,
My problem creeps up after I've driven awhile at highway speeds like today when I drove ~70mi from Austin to San Antonio. The shifting action becomes very sloshy as if the gearbox is full of wet sand.
Hi john1028,

My name is Deysha from Ford Service. Please, make an appointment with your dealer for diagnosis as soon as possible. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Contact Deysha, She can escalate the problem you are having to your dealer and let them know adhead of time what to expect. She is good people and has helped me in the past with my transmission problem.
Thank you for the mention and support, Rascal.

Deysha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page