Clunking sound when braking - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Question Clunking sound when braking

So recently I started to hear a clunking sound when braking. Not when the brake pedal is pressed but when the car finally come to a stop. If I come to a nice smooth stop no sound but if Iím slowing down then press a little harder right as Iím about to stop I can hear a clunk as the car rocks forward then back again. Any ideas? The only recent work, about 3 weeks ago was to put on my winter rotors, pads, and tires. Everything was torqued properly but if not I canít see the caliper making this sound especially only at the very end when the car comes to a complete stop. Sound just started a few days ago. Thanks in advance.

Kona Blue 2012 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, AED Tuned, Corbeau CR1 seats with Harness, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs, Strano F/R adjustable sway bars, BMR LCA & PHB, Lethal O/R H, GT500 Axelbacks, Boss Pod w/ Prosport Gauges, Boss/CS F&R facsia'a, Goodridge SS lines, Boss Brake cooling ducts, Boss splitter, Roush side splitters, Saleen Grill. Mustang Dyno 379 HP & 371 TQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Garage
My guess is the "drive shaft slip joint".

2012 GT Prem. Black, 6MT82, Brembo Package, Rear Sensing Security Package, Appearance Package #5 ,3.73 LS Axle, GT500 Axle Backs, MGW Shifter, FRPP Tune.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
Grimace427

Can you duplicate it by jouncing the rear or the car, such as jumping up and down in the trunk? Can you duplicate it with the e-brake?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
5POINTO

You're positive it's not just the pads making noise in the calipers? That is very common on these cars and nothing to worry about.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
Can you duplicate it by jouncing the rear or the car, such as jumping up and down in the trunk? Can you duplicate it with the e-brake?
No, only when braking. Sounds and feels as though something is moveing forward and back again. Sound and feel is similar to that the drive shaft makes when changes gears quickly (slop in DS). But it happens only when brakeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5POINTO View Post
You're positive it's not just the pads making noise in the calipers? That is very common on these cars and nothing to worry about.
I don't think so, its loud and I can actually feel the clunk.

Kona Blue 2012 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, AED Tuned, Corbeau CR1 seats with Harness, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs, Strano F/R adjustable sway bars, BMR LCA & PHB, Lethal O/R H, GT500 Axelbacks, Boss Pod w/ Prosport Gauges, Boss/CS F&R facsia'a, Goodridge SS lines, Boss Brake cooling ducts, Boss splitter, Roush side splitters, Saleen Grill. Mustang Dyno 379 HP & 371 TQ
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog1679 View Post
So recently I started to hear a clunking sound when braking. Not when the brake pedal is pressed but when the car finally come to a stop. If I come to a nice smooth stop no sound but if Iím slowing down then press a little harder right as Iím about to stop I can hear a clunk as the car rocks forward then back again. Any ideas? The only recent work, about 3 weeks ago was to put on my winter rotors, pads, and tires.
Iíd like to get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area, devildog1679. Please, make an appointment with your dealer and PM me with your mileage, VIN, dealer, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustSrvc View Post
Iíd like to get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area, devildog1679. Please, make an appointment with your dealer and PM me with your mileage, VIN, dealer, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
Thanks, I first want to check a few things myself before I go into the dealer. If that doesnít work Iíll reach out to you.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012
Apprentice

I had almost the same problem several years ago. Turns out that one of the nuts on the wheel came loose. That should be easy to check.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushmore View Post
I had almost the same problem several years ago. Turns out that one of the nuts on the wheel came loose. That should be easy to check.
Damn, I totaly forgot that when I put one of my winter wheels on I was missing a lug nut so one of my rear wheels only has 4. Totally forgot about that. I was on my way to buy one that day and got side tracked then forgot all about it. Hope thats it. Thanks

FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog1679 View Post
Thanks, I first want to check a few things myself before I go into the dealer. If that doesnít work Iíll reach out to you.
No problem! Thanks, devildog1679.

Deysha
PONY Member

Was that what the problem was? I get clunking when coming to an abrupt stop, but it's obviously the 2 -> 1 downshift for me. Very harsh.
Rookie

I don't find a need to downshift from 2nd to 1st. You can take 2nd down to <10mph when braking/coasting and just roll to a stop in neutral.

On my car it feels like the transmission or driveshaft sort of half-disengages when you're in a gear under 1krpm. I notice it but it feels like normal operation. My Tacoma would have a "clunk" when coming to a stop. That was an automatic.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgchem View Post
Was that what the problem was? I get clunking when coming to an abrupt stop, but it's obviously the 2 -> 1 downshift for me. Very harsh.
i removed one nut from front and added to missing rear. Will see if it fixes it. My noise occurs when coming to a stop in both gear or neutral.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

The nut did not cure the issue. Will check under car and pads over the weekend. If nothing comes then I'll call dealer.

Rookie

Hi Devildog and all I know it has been over 3 years since this post was first initiated but I have exactly the same problem now with my 2012 automatic transmission mustang. I went to to the dealer since the car is still under warranty and they changed worn bushings in the differential but the sound is still there as I come to stop and although it does not rock the car in a way to move it but you can feel a push and shake from rear side.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in