Dip stick/oil smells like gasoline.... - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
BOSS Member

Garage
YES, DRIVE THE CAR!!! Don't drive it just half a mile all the time! Take the long way to work or just walk.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Walk? LOL....not when it's cold! I run/jog enough as it is!!!

Seriously though. Most of the time I ride a bike in, but during the colder months I like to drive.

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangChris810 View Post
Hmmm..... Thanks. I'd like to know if others oil smells the same. I'm sure it's nothing, but I do find it odd.

Anyone else smell their dip sticks?
I thought it was odd also. It's the first car (new or used) that I've owned that has done this. I wonder if what Nuclearranger said about Ford putting friction mod in the original oil is causing the smell? I haven't had my first oil change yet, and since I've owned the car in the past 1,400 miles all my drives have been 25+ miles with a couple of 100+ road trips.

2013 Mustang Premium GT, 6AT, Deep Impact Blue, Brembo Brake Package, Comfort Package, Ford Racing GT500 Axle Backs, Moroso Air/Oil Separator, Airaid SynthaMax Cold Air Intake System, BBK 85mm Throttle Body, Accel Ignition Coil kit, Bama 92 Octane Performance Tune, SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, Ford Racing Boss 302 Prepainted Coil Covers, Steeda Engraved Hood Struts

PONY Member

Coming from a direct injected boosted car, my oil was probably 50% gas haha its just excess wash down. Do a comp test and if everything is good i wouldn't sweat it too much
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Chris, you said 4k miles for change, what is the time period? Mine is a low mileage toy (that does go on regular rides) I do it every 9 months. Compared to Ford OLM I do it 4 times in three years compared to it's reccomended 3 times. Makes me sleep better at night. I would think since you drive such short distances it may be smart to do it more often maybe twice a year unless you start cruising. Color of the oil is not the only indicator of quality. Hopefully it just needs to be changed has your mpg changed? That may be an indicsator of problems but it is getting colder even in the south and that does affect mpg.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonkeyKong View Post
Coming from a direct injected boosted car, my oil was probably 50% gas haha its just excess wash down. Do a comp test and if everything is good i wouldn't sweat it too much
Mazdaspeed 3 by any chance??

I used to change the oil every 2500 miles in mine. It was black and reeked like fuel by then, I probably could have put it back in my gas tank if I wanted to

2015 Gt with perf pack/Guard Green/MBRP race exhaust/Steeda shifter bracket/ ....... more to come

Originally Posted by cudaman ........
Let's hope you don't have the same problem with your zipper and your fueling rod, should you run into another female in a Camaro that needs genetic gas.
GT Member

I've noticed a gas like smell from mine sometimes too now that I think about it. Never worried me tho.

On a side note, if u spill some on the engine when changing or once I had a bad seal on the filter and oil was lightly spraying the mid pipes and when I'd turn on the heat I could smell burnt oil thru the vents! That sure freaked me out until I realized what was wrong. If your car runs good I would have someone look over it to make sure but it's prob fine.

What kind of oil u using? I use Mobil 5w20

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenfish39 View Post
Mazdaspeed 3 by any chance??

I used to change the oil every 2500 miles in mine. It was black and reeked like fuel by then, I probably could have put it back in my gas tank if I wanted to
Haha yup, i was Turd Burglar on MSF and on here, but the mods made me change my name since it wasn't "family friendly"
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonkeyKong View Post
Maybe your MS3 did that but that is not typical of GDI turbo cars in general. My Cobalt SS/TC never had those issues but then again I did not tune mine stupid rich at WOT like 99% of the others out there. I ran 0.88-0.89 PE lambda (lean by most peoples standards) 25 psi, stock turbo (bigger twin scroll version of the K-04 turbo that the MS3 has) fully bolted and tuned by me (342 whp 393 wrtq on 93 octane, 363 whp 426 wrtq on E-47). At this point, my 2013 5.0 (stock) is slower than my old cobalt (modded) LOL (Cobalt was 600 lbs lighter and had a massive torque hit in the midrange). That is until I tune the 5.0 on E-85
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangChris810 View Post
"sigh"
So I was checking my oil the other day and I noticed the dipstick smells like gas. It's gas for sure. You can smell it. It's pretty strong too. Smells like oil mixed with gasoline. I looked it over pretty good and I don't see any coolant or any bubbles on the dip stick. I popped the coolant tank cap and didn't see any oil in the coolant. My engine doesn't leak anything and it runs strong, idles well, no problems per say with the engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb737 View Post
I have the same smell with my 2013 GT. I have 1400 miles on her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choate View Post
I've noticed a gas like smell from mine sometimes too now that I think about it. Never worried me tho.
Hey guys,

Please make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis as soon as possible. Then, please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area and have it looked in to.

Deysha
PONY Member
S197 Member

I would take the car out on a 30 minute joyride and then check again. If you are really worried you could, as some have suggested in other cases, take a sample of oil to a tractor shop and have them analyze it. I doubt bringing it in for service would yield much since most service techs are high and mighty but know very little and will just laugh at you and abuse the car while you are not looking.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

A faulty injector that doesn't close all the way when turned off has a similar resulting odor. I'd perform a UOA and depending on the results make a service appointment. FoMoCo can tell if your injectors are working properly fairly easily.

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

PONY Member

Sounds like the residual gas in getting into the oil from blow by during cold operation. My oil smells like ethanol. I plan to shorten my oil change interval to limit the amount of moisture in the oil absorbed by the ethanol.

Ford Racing K-springs & dampeners. UPR Street adjustable UCA. UMI LCA & bolt in relocation brackets. Comp Eng. panhard.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Blow By oil vapor certainly smells more like gas. UPR's catch can's do a good job of keeping those contaminants out of the intake tract:

11-13 Mustang GT 5.0 Dual Billet Oil Catch Can Separators 5.0 Logo - UPR Products

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Ehhh. Had the oil changed. Still smells a little like fuel, but not as bad. My neighbor used to run a quicky lube and he says it smells pretty normal and of course the oil looks fine.

Not worrying about it. Thanks guys!

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page