Tune/warranty/scared coward - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
I think Ford is an excellent company and has excellent engineering. I absolutely agree that Ford would only withhold warranty suport if the drivetrain failure could have reasonably been contributed to by an aftermarket tune or parts. Having said that, I am sure that Ford studied many of the after-market tunes before issuing the TSB. Because most all of the aftermarket tunes - except PROCAL, increase the rev limiters above the Ford specifications for "redline," increase the "speed limiters" above the manufacturer's settings and change the ignition timing and torque curve, I suspect the Ford engineers, and lawyers, would find that many significant drivetrain failures might well have been contributed to by aftermarket parts or tunes due to potential increases in stresses caused by those changes. They outline that on page 1 of the TSB. I don't think Ford issued this TSB for what they would view as "minimal issues." So I think we may be talking about a "distinction without a real difference." However, I am certainly no lawyer and have no desire to be one
I always was concerned with the red line increase myself ... I checked with the SCT tool what the red line was with the last Steeda tune I uploaded and it was still set to 7000. If it was higher, I was going to adjust it back down to 7k.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
I always was concerned with the red line increase myself ... I checked with the SCT tool what the red line was with the last Steeda tune I uploaded and it was still set to 7000. If it was higher, I was going to adjust it back down to 7k.
I agree, why would youwant to mess with that aspect.

2012 California Special Convertible / Ebony Black / 5.0 liter / MT-82 / GT500 Axle Backs with resonator delete / Steeda Tri-Ax shifter & base bushing / Airaid CAI / BMR LCAs / BMR Relocation Brackets / BMR Adjustable UCA & Bracket / BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar / Steeda Sport Springs / GT500 Strut Mounts / Koni STR.Ts / Shaker 500 with Infinity 6832CFs / Redline hood strut / Redline leather shifter & E-brake boots
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LITER_MUENSTER View Post
Ping with procal is not a mild concern btw. If you do get ping you will know, and when you try to remedie with either case relearn or turn the octane adjust on and you still get ping, there will be nothing you can do about it. If I were you I would make sure I come to some type of agreement with your dealership before purchasing for a refund just incase procal does not act too well with your car. There are many guys like myself who ended up having to take procal back off and $$$$ just gone down the drain. If you do plan on living with the ping like how some peoples do, make sure you understand how pinging sound and see if that is something you want to live with. Pinging is very real with procal and 11-13 GT.

Sent from Galaxy S3 using TapaHoe
I also removed my procal due to ping. Ford Racing has a procal buy back program where they give your $75 for the handheld. That's what I did..better than collecting dust.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

i just bought a 2012 manual GT i'm thinking of buying bama tunes for the car do you think the dealer will find out if i return the car back to stock for every service or check in the dealership?
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_2006 View Post
i just bought a 2012 manual GT i'm thinking of buying bama tunes for the car do you think the dealer will find out if i return the car back to stock for every service or check in the dealership?
Shouldn't. They normally don't dig unless you have engine problems.

2012 Race Red GT Premium | MT82 3.31 | HID/Security | Steeda CAI | BAMA 91P | JLT Seperator | Steeda Shift Bracket | Steeda ProAction Shocks/Struts | Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Mounts | Eibach Pro-Kit (Dub) | J&M Adj. Panhard | GT500 Axle-Backs w/Resonator Delete | Ford Racing STB | American Muscle GT500 Black Machined 18x9/10 Nitto 555
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_2006 View Post
I returned mine twice for some suspension warranty work and had my Air raid Cai and 93 Steeda tune on it at the time and they didn't say anything.

Blower and stuff

622 whp and 545 wtq @ 8.5psi
AED Tune = Best mod of all
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstang93 View Post
Any of you guys worried about loosing out on your warranty by tuning your car? Am i just being a sissy? I would like to order a bama tune and CAI. Im stressing about it though. I even purchased an extended warranty for the first tim ever. I don't want it to be a waste.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Warranties completely depend on your dealer. The best thing to do is talk to your Dealer's Service Manager and see how they feel about certain modifications. We've found that there's dealers at both ends of the spectrum. Some don't care at all about tunes or exhaust as long as it's done by a reputable speed shop or their Dealership, and others will do anything to void the warranty. If you're really at unease, you mies well talk to your local Dealer first!

That being said, we're very confident in the safety of our custom Bama tunes. For every Bama Tune we ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique mods and style of driving. This info helps us write custom tunes from the ground-up for your Mustang's mods that will give you the most horsepower that we can safely deliver. We're also constantly developing our tunes! Between our 14 different Project Mustangs and tons of street/track and dyno testing (on our in-house Dynojet 224xLC), we're looking for any minor tweaks to be made that can benefit you guys.

Hope this helps your decision!

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
PONY Member

Hey Shane - do you guys still stand behind your tunes if a car has run the FRPP tune previously? That's what I have at the moment but at some point I might want to make a change.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2012 GT Premium - 401A - 6MT - 3.73s - Steeda CAI and Tune - Steeda Q-Series Hood - Forgestar CF5s - SVT Brembo Brakes - BOSS Brake Ducts - MGW Shifter - GT500 Axlebacks - BOSS Side Exit Exhuast - Eibach Prokit Springs - Adjustable Panhard Bar - BOSS Strut Tower Brace
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryyf View Post
I have to laugh at these posts.........there is sufficient proof on this very forum that if you go with a tune from a reputable vendor, you have nothing to worry about. The cylinder 8 problems are a thing of the past. So, if you don't want to potentially void your warranty, they don't tune, simple as that. There seems to be a lot of folks that want someone else to convince them to tune.......make the decision on your own based on your own research. Personally, the chance of blowing a motor with a tune from a reputable tuner (i.e. Bama, Steeda, AED, C&L, etc.) is so low that it is almost negligible! Sorry, but I am tired of seeing these posts...............
LOL. Totally agree! Threads like these are almost the same as, "what color should I choose." LMAO.

If you have the slightest hesitation about modding anything then don't do it...that's my personal opinion naturally.

If you can't make a decision (or don't know the answer) then always pick "C," the longest answer, or black...

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
Banned

I'll win the lottery before my engine blows on a good tune. And if I do win the lottery before hand, I'm making it a poster child for testing and stressing before things do go kapow on a Coyote. Then I'll get a Aluminator XS.
Apprentice

For me, the problem is not about blowing an engine, which is very unlikely, but every other engine or transmission problems that Ford could refuse to repair under warranty. They might try to say the tune caused added stress on the mechanical components of the car.
I will get a tune next spring anyway, but personally, I'm worried about a possible problem with the transmission, not caused by the tune, just because I've had some bad lucks with Ford transmissions in the past.

2012 GT Premium, Kona Blue
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_goat View Post
Do a search on 'pro cal'. It's a Ford tuner that will give you about 16 rwhp and you get to keep your warranty.

There are two packages. One has the tuner and an air filter, the other has a tuner, air filter, oil filter, and a set of GT 500 axle backs.

The tuner and air filter is around $300 and the other package is around $600. As long as a qualified Ford mechanic installs the tune, it's covered under warranty.

American muscle has a really good price on both packages.

Ford Racing Power Pack (11-13 GT) M-FR1-MGTB - Free Shipping!

Ford Racing K&N Air Filter with ProCal Tuner (11-13 GT Mustang) M-9603-MGTB - Free Shipping!

It's not a quality tune such as bama or aed, but it gives a lot of low end torque and allows your pony to gallop a lot harder, while it gives you the security of knowing this tune won't void your drive train warranty.

Then do a search of the procal ping to make your pucker hole even more restrictive... You will be fine in which ever you choose, should you choose to choose one... Happy Holidays

2012 Mustang GT Premium - Grabber Blue - Borla S Type Catback - 20" Matte Black AG M310's - Koni "Yellows" - Sportlines - Steeda HD Mounts - BMR ADJ PHB
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstang93 View Post
Any of you guys worried about loosing out on your warranty by tuning your car? Am i just being a sissy? I would like to order a bama tune and CAI. Im stressing about it though. I even purchased an extended warranty for the first tim ever. I don't want it to be a waste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Candy REDCS View Post
...which is why I left mine as ford built it,no tunes no go fast addons,this ride is fast enough for me at over 400+ ponies.
Hello guys,

Aftermarket parts will not void “all” of your warranties. However, if they cause a concern, that specific repair will not be covered. You can refer to your Warranty Guide on page 13 for further info. I recommend speaking with your servicing dealer before installing any aftermarket parts to your vehicle.

There is also a TSB out to our dealers for this specific issue. It's also mentioned on this thread by another member.

Deysha
Banned

I have a great dealer by me and the Service Manger is a helluva guy. He said to me this "You wanna race? Go ahead and race, it's a Mustang, guy! Usually mods, they void your warranty, BUT, we can't void your warranty unless that mod actually caused a problem. Don't worry, you're fine."
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW Burnett View Post
Hey Shane - do you guys still stand behind your tunes if a car has run the FRPP tune previously? That's what I have at the moment but at some point I might want to make a change.

DW Burnett,

We do stand behind all of our tunes, in the fact that we'll continue to make adjustments until your Mustang is running to your liking. Now the cylinder #8 warranty is only for Mustangs that have only had an OEM tune before our custom Bama tune. Unfortunately, we can't stand behind any other aftermarket tunes like Ford Racing, Lund, AED, Steeda, etc, not because they aren't good, but we have no control over them or the effect they may or may not have to the engine.

I'm sorry for this inconvenience and I hope you understand!

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page