Tune/warranty/scared coward - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Tune/warranty/scared coward

Any of you guys worried about loosing out on your warranty by tuning your car? Am i just being a sissy? I would like to order a bama tune and CAI. Im stressing about it though. I even purchased an extended warranty for the first tim ever. I don't want it to be a waste.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Premium GT 401A Brick Red interior 19 inch charcoal rims, 373 gear 6 speed, Elenore side window scoops, 5.0 floor mats,black 5.0 badges,tinted taillights, AM black retro grille, "BMF" hood spears, MGW shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
only reason i haven't gotten a tune yet because i don't want to ruin the warranty.

2016 Mustang GT 5.0 Magnetic Metallic Performance Package
Interior - Recaro Bucket Seats, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Diode Dynamics LED Visor Mirror Lights, LED Glove Box Light, LED Trunk Light, and LED Map Light
Exterior -Dealer Installed Shelby GT350 Racing Stripes, SunTek Carbon 15% Tint, Diode Dynamics LED Switchback Blinkers, LED Reverse Light
Performance - MBRP Race Series 3" Catback
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

that makes me fell better

2011 Premium GT 401A Brick Red interior 19 inch charcoal rims, 373 gear 6 speed, Elenore side window scoops, 5.0 floor mats,black 5.0 badges,tinted taillights, AM black retro grille, "BMF" hood spears, MGW shifter

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012
old_goat

Do a search on 'pro cal'. It's a Ford tuner that will give you about 16 rwhp and you get to keep your warranty.

There are two packages. One has the tuner and an air filter, the other has a tuner, air filter, oil filter, and a set of GT 500 axle backs.

The tuner and air filter is around $300 and the other package is around $600. As long as a qualified Ford mechanic installs the tune, it's covered under warranty.

American muscle has a really good price on both packages.

Ford Racing Power Pack (11-13 GT) M-FR1-MGTB - Free Shipping!

Ford Racing K&N Air Filter with ProCal Tuner (11-13 GT Mustang) M-9603-MGTB - Free Shipping!

It's not a quality tune such as bama or aed, but it gives a lot of low end torque and allows your pony to gallop a lot harder, while it gives you the security of knowing this tune won't void your drive train warranty.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_goat View Post
Do a search on 'pro cal'. It's a Ford tuner that will give you about 16 rwhp and you get to keep your warranty.

There are two packages. One has the tuner and an air filter, the other has a tuner, air filter, oil filter, and a set of GT 500 axle backs.

The tuner and air filter is around $300 and the other package is around $600. As long as a qualified Ford mechanic installs the tune, it's covered under warranty.

American muscle has a really good price on both packages.

Ford Racing Power Pack (11-13 GT) M-FR1-MGTB - Free Shipping!

Ford Racing K&N Air Filter with ProCal Tuner (11-13 GT Mustang) M-9603-MGTB - Free Shipping!

It's not a quality tune such as bama or aed, but it gives a lot of low end torque and allows your pony to gallop a lot harder, while it gives you the security of knowing this tune won't void your drive train warranty.
the procal only last until 36k miles, so you still lose warranty.

2016 Mustang GT 5.0 Magnetic Metallic Performance Package
Interior - Recaro Bucket Seats, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Diode Dynamics LED Visor Mirror Lights, LED Glove Box Light, LED Trunk Light, and LED Map Light
Exterior -Dealer Installed Shelby GT350 Racing Stripes, SunTek Carbon 15% Tint, Diode Dynamics LED Switchback Blinkers, LED Reverse Light
Performance - MBRP Race Series 3" Catback
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012
PONY Member

There are other areas to upgrade if you are worried about power train warranty. I personally am mortified of loosing that warranty since currently I cannot afford fixing a motor problem. However you can upgrade other stuff such as what I did: suspension, tires, brakes and next year plans are clutch and driveshaft. For me If I wan a risk loosing warranty I at least want to make it worth while: supercharger in 2 years.
The 5.0 has good power as is and although current tunes are safe and yield good power, an extra 30 ish HP and torque is not worth my peace of mind.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Bama will warranty there tunes so if your car gets messed up due to there tune they will warranty
But if it wasnt ur tune ford has to prove it was ur tune that messed up your car so they wouldnt have to warranty it

2013 mustang 5.0- jlt cai, gt500 axlebacks,Arh long tube headers and xpipe, barton short shifter and bracket, boss 302 manifold, boss strut tower brace, j&m panhard, eibach lowering springs,hotchkis suspension, 19 inch saleen replicas,tuned by Cunningham Motorsports

441Hp/382Tq on E85
424Hp/373Tq on 91
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012
old_goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortySmalls View Post
I most likely won't have my car more than 2 years or around 20,000 miles.

No matter about the pro cal warranty, with another tune, they can cancel parts of the warranty without much hesitation. Without that 'fear', I would have a bama or aed tune in the mail right now.

Here is a real good thread about the pro cal. The 'ping' issue is a mild concern, but not enough to change my mind.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ne-owners.html
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

...which is why I left mine as ford built it,no tunes no go fast addons,this ride is fast enough for me at over 400+ ponies.
A week or so ago, took it to my dealer and they updated my PCM with a new update;
It now has smooth as butter idle,pick up is definitely improved and runs way more aggressive than before!
I also got the extended warranty when I bought new...to me, it's peace of mind with FORD.so far this ride has had minimal issues that have all been addressed properly by the mother ship.
My take on all of this: leave well alone if you're concerned with warranty,end of story... if Ford declines your warranty due to tuning ect, remember that you would need the services of a lawyer to represent you,just saying...in the end of it all, it's a headache I can do without

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
PONY Member

A good dealer will not blame EVERY engine issue on an aftermarket tune. There are plenty of cases of guys with tuned cars receiving powertrain warranty services.

On the other hand, there are also cases where dealers tried to deny coverage for axle-back exhaust and shifters.

A lot of it comes down to the dealer, at least initially.

So, I wouldn't say that a tune "automatically" makes your warranty go away for ANYTHING. Yes, I read the TSB. There are certain types of failures that seem to get pinned on tunes. Not every failure.

In a nutshell - you run SOME risk if you modify ANYTHING on your car IMO. Personally, I chose to make my car what I want it to be now rather than wait 4-5 years to hit 60,000 miles (this is a DD).

But if you really can't afford any car repair bill, don't mod. Just in case.

Also keep in mind that plenty of dealers seem to be not fixing things by simply saying it's "normal" whether you've modded or not. So we can question how great the warranty is to begin with.
GT Member

The Procal warranty rplaces the factory B2B on powertrain parts but, it doesn't eliminate the 5/100 PT warranty the car has. Reality is, it's by far the best warranty on paper for tuning of anything out there. It's not limited to a particular problem or the engine alone.

Obviously, getting anyone to actually service the warranty should you need it, is an issue. That's an issue with Ford's factory warranty and the whole warranty scam writ large. Really, warranties are just there to make you feel good about signing the cheque.

I did have Ford warranty my transmission when it imploded in a few thousand miles from new. That wasn't easy but, ultimately, they did the right thing.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Ping with procal is not a mild concern btw. If you do get ping you will know, and when you try to remedie with either case relearn or turn the octane adjust on and you still get ping, there will be nothing you can do about it. If I were you I would make sure I come to some type of agreement with your dealership before purchasing for a refund just incase procal does not act too well with your car. There are many guys like myself who ended up having to take procal back off and $$$$ just gone down the drain. If you do plan on living with the ping like how some peoples do, make sure you understand how pinging sound and see if that is something you want to live with. Pinging is very real with procal and 11-13 GT.

Sent from Galaxy S3 using TapaHoe

2013 Deep Impact Blue Metallic MT-82 401a
DiabloSport in tune - AirAid CAI - SVT GT500 AB - Ford Racing P springs - Forgestar F14 - Roush rear/side splitters - Stillen chin splitter - CS Fascia conversion - LED fog delete - 2 much 2 list.... Official mod addict: D
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortySmalls View Post
Meaning it starts from when your original warranty starts. So if you install the tune after you have 24K on your car, you only have 12K of warranty for tune related problems.
PONY Member

There really hasnt been any blown motors since the 11's first rolled out and knock sensors were messed with.

I havent read a single issue with BAMA or Steeda tunes for atleast a year. Things have been ironed out and it should be pretty safe now. BAMA has tuned 1000's of cars. With that many on the road we would of heard of some great tragedies by now.

Also BAMA warranties the #8 cylinder which was the cause of blown motors in the beginning.

2012 Race Red GT Premium | MT82 3.31 | HID/Security | Steeda CAI | BAMA 91P | JLT Seperator | Steeda Shift Bracket | Steeda ProAction Shocks/Struts | Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Mounts | Eibach Pro-Kit (Dub) | J&M Adj. Panhard | GT500 Axle-Backs w/Resonator Delete | Ford Racing STB | American Muscle GT500 Black Machined 18x9/10 Nitto 555
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstang93 View Post
Any of you guys worried about loosing out on your warranty by tuning your car? Am i just being a sissy? I would like to order a bama tune and CAI. Im stressing about it though. I even purchased an extended warranty for the first tim ever. I don't want it to be a waste.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Mine runs fine the way it is, why mess with it? Stock tune, stock exhaust (an apparent novelty here!) and stock CAI.

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page