Steeda tri-ax shifter install issues - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstang93 View Post
are these aftermarket shifters worth the $$?

Every fifteencharacters penny.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

I just got done installing my Barton shifter. While I had the stock shifter out, I was checking the little tab on the transmission that allowed it to be put into reverse. I noticed that while shifting from 1st to 2nd the shifter would rub against this, both on the stock and Barton shifter. I wish I would have taken a picture while I had it apart, but those of you that have installed your shifters should know what i'm talking about. Anyway, while I had everything out, I took some 240 grit sandpaper and smoothed out the tab on the transmission. My 1st to 2nd shifts are silky smooth

2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, 3.73's,
Hotchkis springs, 18x9.5,18x11 Forgestar CF5's, Lethal o/r H-Pipe, JLT CAI, BBR tune, Hotchkis panhard, UMI LCA relocation brackets, BMR LCA's, MGW, GT500 strut mounts, KYB struts, GT500 ab's, Steeda motor mounts, NX plate

2003 Mach 1-R.I.P
2003 Mach 1-Procharged*SOLD*
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstang93 View Post
are these aftermarket shifters worth the $$?
A lot of us think so!

2012 California Special Convertible / Ebony Black / 5.0 liter / MT-82 / GT500 Axle Backs with resonator delete / Steeda Tri-Ax shifter & base bushing / Airaid CAI / BMR LCAs / BMR Relocation Brackets / BMR Adjustable UCA & Bracket / BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar / Steeda Sport Springs / GT500 Strut Mounts / Koni STR.Ts / Shaker 500 with Infinity 6832CFs / Redline hood strut / Redline leather shifter & E-brake boots

SHELBY GT 350 Member

RE worth it...

on my buddies car he never disliked the oem shifter but came across a good deal on a used MGW. Only thought it was ok till he had a chance to drive a car with the oem again and was wtf is this floppy lever and how could I have ever thought it was ok. It is up to you to decide worth it but my .02 is YES!

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffnuts23 View Post
I just got done installing my Barton shifter. While I had the stock shifter out, I was checking the little tab on the transmission that allowed it to be put into reverse. I noticed that while shifting from 1st to 2nd the shifter would rub against this, both on the stock and Barton shifter. I wish I would have taken a picture while I had it apart, but those of you that have installed your shifters should know what i'm talking about. Anyway, while I had everything out, I took some 240 grit sandpaper and smoothed out the tab on the transmission. My 1st to 2nd shifts are silky smooth
I know exactly what you are talking about and when I put the OEM one back on it rests against that piece you sanded down. I think some issues that people have on the 1-2 shift is you cant pull the shifter any further towards you basically to your left. I think this is why some people who have shimmed the shifter have had an improvement in the 1-2 shift allowing the shifter to be pushed a bit further to the right or passenger side. Mine rests completely against the metal piece I have zero play left to right while my shifter is placed in first or second gear. If I can get a bit more clearance here it might help my 1-2 shift. I am planning at some point here when I get some time to shim the OEM shifter and see what happens.

As far as any of these shifters being worth it, well thats subjective. I'm not sure what happened with mine it shifted fine in all the the gears except first and second. The throws were very nice more mechanical in feel and the unit itself is very nicely made. For whatever reason I was locked out of second gear, took several attempts to get it into gear.

2012 GT Premium, Ingot Silver, Brembo package, 3.73's, Clear Bra, GT500 Axle Backs, tint.
tj
PONY Member

Sorry I did not see this thread sooner. Please let me know if there is anything further that I can help assist with?

This is not a typical situation that we have with our shifters. We have engineered, tested, and manufactured the Tri-Ax to the highest quality.

We apologize for your experience and I am sure we will have a solution for you shortly.

Best Regards,

TJ
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Sorry I did not see this thread sooner. Please let me know if there is anything further that I can help assist with?

This is not a typical situation that we have with our shifters. We have engineered, tested, and manufactured the Tri-Ax to the highest quality.

We apologize for your experience and I am sure we will have a solution for you shortly.

Best Regards,

TJ
Thanks TJ. I have been in contact with Frank and Steeda's service thus far has been great. I just shippied the shifter out today. We will see what happens.

2012 GT Premium, Ingot Silver, Brembo package, 3.73's, Clear Bra, GT500 Axle Backs, tint.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffnuts23 View Post

I to have an aftermarket shifter (not Steeda) and have the same issue.
I watched the MGW video. They identified this issue early on and re-engineered the entire shifter assembly. I ordered one yesterday.

1965 Mustang Fastback, I6, C4
1985 Mustang SVO
1985.5 Mustang SVO
1989 Mustang GT Conv
1989 Mustang Coupe, 98 Cobra Motor, 04 Cobra IRS
2004 Mustang Cobra
2013 Mustang GT, Brembo package,Recaros
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

updated

Talked with Steeda this morning and they are going to issue a full credit for the shifter. Great customer service no complaints. Sorry it didn't work on my car. Thought I would update the thread.

GT Member

^get a Barton with the 2 post bracket

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
Already have the Steeda shifter bracket and at this point I think I am going to focus on suspension parts. I may look at shifters again in the future.

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post

LOVE it! ^^

Hey at least Steeda took care of you. Sorry it didn't work out. I have their shifter and it worked out really well for me.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

I'm sorry I did not see this sooner, but I'm glad we resolved the situation to your liking, please let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj View Post

Best Regards,

TJ
TJ, I have this exact same problem...shifter does not go into 2nd gear, all other gears are fine. Is there a solution?
PONY Member

Garage
The MGW Race Spec shifter sure is. It's a replacement of the entire unit.....completely changed my shifting experience; no more missed shifts.

JediDave

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page