Steeda tri-ax shifter install issues - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Steeda tri-ax shifter install issues

Well I decided to put on my new Tr-ax shifter this weekend and I have had it apart about five times trying to get it to shift properly. First and second gear are very difficult to shift. I was hoping this shifter would make things better but its been nothing but a pain in the butt. The boot is on correct and I have the shifter as far to the right as it will go for the first and second gear adjustment. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm out of ideas and I doubt I can return it.

2012 GT Premium, Ingot Silver, Brembo package, 3.73's, Clear Bra, GT500 Axle Backs, tint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012
Banned

When you installed the shifter, did you crawl under the car to detach the shifter assembly?

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

If you are referring to the shifter bracket yes. It needs to be undone to gain access to one of the bolts.

2012 GT Premium, Ingot Silver, Brembo package, 3.73's, Clear Bra, GT500 Axle Backs, tint.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftoy View Post
If you are referring to the shifter bracket yes. It needs to be undone to gain access to one of the bolts.

Right, when you reinstalled it, did you have any chunky feelings when remouting the bracket or have any difficulty lining the shifter back up? What about when the car is turned off/not moving? Is the shifter action very stiff? Crunchy? Obscenely notchy? Mine was a bit stiff at first but since then has broken in. I was surprised since there's no springs you're directly replacing.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I had no issues bolting the shifter bracket back up, which is a Steeda bracket. The shift action is a little stiff but I anticipated it would be. First and second gear are crunchy and notchy very difficult to get into second not smooth at all. I had to use more force than I should. I'm going to pull it apart again here in few.

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012
Apprentice
S197 Member

I was in Florida and stopped at Steeda's shop. I had them install the tri-axe shifter in my 2011 GT.
The shifter has always been rude between first and second, you know the crunch.
Being spring loaded I thought second to third would be good....but....at 5 grand the system is torqued up and the body mount gets contorted and you can miss third. Not the fault of the shifter but Steeda didn't solve the whole issue.

Look at Barton's system....whole problem solved.
I wish I had done that.

2011 GT 5.0 Premium 401a, MT82, Glass roof, Brembo, Comfort, 3.55, accessory trim 5 (scoups, flat panel, Pedistal spoiler)
mods: CS front valance with fogs & Roush harness, Roush side splitters, LMP sport hood, RTR rear valance, MRT hood struts, invisible bra, Corsa Extreme & X pipe, anniversary staggered wheels, Steeda shifter, Oracle LED halos, Ultra Silverstar.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012
Grimace427

Remove the boot completely and drive it just to be 100% sure it is on correctly.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
Remove the boot completely and drive it just to be 100% sure it is on correctly.
Just got done pulling it all apart and putting it back together. Grimace that is exactly what I am going to do. I am going for a spin now Ill post back in a few.

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Still very notchy into second not smooth. Another thing I noticed is excessive play in the upper part of the shifter meaning where the knob screws onto it, it moves quite a bit where the OEM one does not. Some of it might be the boot but I have it sitting in the groove on the shifter where it is suppose to be and on the body. Looks like the OEM one is going back on I'm tired of screwing with it. I have a call into Steeda.

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftoy View Post
Still very notchy into second not smooth another thing I noticed is excessive play in the upper part of the shifter meaning where the knob screws onto it, it moves quite a bit where the OEM one does not.

Contact Brandon in the forums. See if you can do an RMA/warranty service. Mine's a joy to use, sorry to hear about the troubles. :sad:
BOSS Member

Garage
Did you take the plastic "cap" off of the old shifter ball and install it on the new one?

I installed the Tri-ax shifter a few months ago and it works just fine for me. It doesn't have a huge reduction in shift throw but the shifter feels quite a bit more solid in your hand. That difference is also quite noticeable looking at the factory shifter and the Steeda shifter side by side.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yes I removed the plastic piece and put it on the Steeda shifter. The shifter was installed properly I am very mechanically inclined the instructions were very clear. I have got the stock one back on and it shifts fine, in fact maybe better than before. Something is definitely not right with the Steeda shifter. I have been in contact with Steeda I'm sure they will make it right one way or the other.

GT Member

seems you have done all process of elimination ending with the stock shifter which works fine, definitely sounds like a faulty shifter, as said Im sure Steeda will take care of it. keep us updated

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I just talked with Steeda this morning and they have instructed me to send the shifter back. They will then take a look at it and let me know from there.

Apprentice

are these aftermarket shifters worth the $$?

2011 Premium GT 401A Brick Red interior 19 inch charcoal rims, 373 gear 6 speed, Elenore side window scoops, 5.0 floor mats,black 5.0 badges,tinted taillights, AM black retro grille, "BMF" hood spears, MGW shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page