School me on swaybars vs. understeer/oversteer - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012 Thread Starter
klp
Apprentice

School me on swaybars vs. understeer/oversteer

I have a '12 Brembo GT, great car but like many I want a little more performance without much ride quality sacrifice. I have looked at many suspension options and continue to look around before I pull the trigger.

Many of the more complete handling kits, FRRP comes to mind - include swaybars which claim to help handling. I understand that the stiffer bushings will likely deflect less and give more road feel, but what is the bars relation to over/understeer?

I have not tracked my car but have access to an open lot to play around. I know there are likely a lot of variables but my car seems to understeer at lower speeds, that tendency seems less the faster I go. Maybe this is because I am more likely to throttle up, I dunno.

Are the FRRP swaybars going to help my car handle better? Will it under or oversteer more? I know some are adjustable, how do they relate to initial turn in? Is it even worth the $ over the stock Brembo stuff?

Sorry if this is an overused topic, I have looked around a lot and not found too much.

Squidd posted some great information regarding dampers, stiction and their relation to plushness in suspension travel. I was wondering how swaybars factor into the overall handling picture.

'12 Brembo GT - 6MT, 3.73's, Shaker 1000, HID/Security, Comfort package, Steeda CAI, SCT tuner, Borla axle backs, Barton shifter+bracket, Steeda UCA+mount.

Last edited by klp; 12-05-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Another question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

almost any aftermarket piece is better than stock...rear sway bars prevent understeer...
the stock bushings are notoriously weak, soft, so even replacing those will improve handling/feel...it's a cost issue, and well, this is Ford we're talking about so do the math
I have great aftermarket Maximum Motorsport stuff on my Stangs...a world of improvement if you have the loot

post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

my understanding is that a stiffer anti-sway bar on the front shifts the balance toward understeer ;

a stiffer anti-sway bar on the rear shifts the balance toward oversteer

and all of this only matters when you are at the limits of adhesion and either the front wheels push (understeer) or the rear wheels slide out (oversteer)

so you want the right balance of front and rear anti-sway bar stiffness to produce the balance of under/over steer that you want

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012
GT Member

A rule of thumb is that anything you stiffen, will tend to make it push first. In other words, when you stiffen the rear, you increase oversteer; and when you stiffen the front, you increase understeer.

All that a sway bar does is increase effective spring rate when the wheels it joins are moving independently. For example, they don't increase spring rate as you drive over a speed bump and both wheels move in unison. But they do increase spring rate on the outboard wheel in a high speed turn when the car starts leaning over.

They are a tuning tool just like anything else. Most people want a suspension that is stiff enough to manage the dynamics of the wheels and the car at speed, but soft enough to be comfortable in normal street use.

I will tell you that (IMO) the stock bars are pretty big and do a good job of keeping the wheels planted. If you are planning on very high-G maneuvers such as those in autocross and road racing, you might try out a couple of different bars to dial-in body roll and grip.

2012 P8C, HP, 300A, 55D, 457
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
my understanding is that a stiffer anti-sway bar on the front shifts the balance toward understeer ;

a stiffer anti-sway bar on the rear shifts the balance toward oversteer

and all of this only matters when you are at the limits of adhesion and either the front wheels push (understeer) or the rear wheels slide out (oversteer)

so you want the right balance of front and rear anti-sway bar stiffness to produce the balance of under/over steer that you want
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
A rule of thumb is that anything you stiffen, will tend to make it push first. In other words, when you stiffen the rear, you increase oversteer; and when you stiffen the front, you increase understeer.

All that a sway bar does is increase effective spring rate when the wheels it joins are moving independently. For example, they don't increase spring rate as you drive over a speed bump and both wheels move in unison. But they do increase spring rate on the outboard wheel in a high speed turn when the car starts leaning over.

They are a tuning tool just like anything else. Most people want a suspension that is stiff enough to manage the dynamics of the wheels and the car at speed, but soft enough to be comfortable in normal street use.

I will tell you that (IMO) the stock bars are pretty big and do a good job of keeping the wheels planted. If you are planning on very high-G maneuvers such as those in autocross and road racing, you might try out a couple of different bars to dial-in body roll and grip.
^^^^^^^^^^What they said Most cars have some understeer "built in" to the stock suspension. That is easier for most people to deal with then oversteer. I took my 2011 Mustang V6 to a high performance driving school last summer. Where the car lost traction, it had a little understeer (It had KONI Yellow Sport adjustable dampers). Easier to correct that. You really have to be on a course that lets you take the car to the point of losing traction to try to "balance the car" at speed and some turning radius. One would expect most of the "fixed sway bar sets" will try to push the car closer towards neutral, without taking it to "oversteer." On the adjustables you are really on your own to test and verify.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by klp View Post
Many of the more complete handling kits, FRRP comes to mind - include swaybars which claim to help handling. I understand that the stiffer bushings will likely deflect less and give more road feel, but what is the bars relation to over/understeer?
I'm going to assume that the bushings you're talking about here are the bushings for the sta-bar and not for the control arms or the PHB. "Sta-bar" being shorthand for stabilizer bar, which is this part's correct name (common usage notwithstanding).

In a nutshell, as you stiffen the front bar (leaving everything else alone), you increase understeer. Likewise, stiffening only the rear bar reduces understeer.

Sta-bar bushings effectively reduce the effectiveness of the bar itself (it's a "springs in series" thing).

Quote:
I have not tracked my car but have access to an open lot to play around. I know there are likely a lot of variables but my car seems to understeer at lower speeds, that tendency seems less the faster I go. Maybe this is because I am more likely to throttle up, I dunno.
I'm guessing that you're guilty of overdriving at the slower speeds. Cranking the wheel over too fast (tires can't quite keep up), going in too hot, staying on the brakes, etc.

Geometrically, a tight turn gives away more camber than a wider turn does, and you may not even have enough static negative camber dialed in to the car to begin with.

Tire inflation pressures - there are better settings than Ford's 32f/32r. Trust me.

Quote:
Are the FRRP swaybars going to help my car handle better? Will it under or oversteer more? I know some are adjustable, how do they relate to initial turn in? Is it even worth the $ over the stock Brembo stuff?
Personally, I wouldn't ever get a non-adjustable bar when adjustable versions are available.

Kits that lack adjustment ask you to accept somebody else's definition of "improved handling" - and which need to consider a wider range of driver skill level. IOW, they'll tend to be a little on the conservative (understeerish) side.

I'm really new here, but not to the "corner-carving" stuff.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012
Grimace427

I'm shocked you came over here Norm. I see you in the 'corner carver' section at S197 quite a bit so I agree with your post.

...swaybar is just as accurate as stabilizer bar btw, and shortens a lot better too.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member

These are the swaybars I recommend:
2011-2012 Ford Mustang Anti-Roll Sway Bar Kit 35125.320 - UPR Products

Upgrading the swaybars makes a huge improvement in handling. The adjustable swaybars are nice too. (the front one is three way adjustable) Adjusting the bar makes a difference you can feel.

For example, when I had 275/40-18s all the way around, the handling balance was perfect, but when I switched to a staggered tire sizing, the car picked up some understeer. I softened the front bar and it balanced the handling. It's a nice tuning aid!

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
I'm shocked you came over here Norm. I see you in the 'corner carver' section at S197 quite a bit so I agree with your post.
I'm keeping an open mind.

Quote:
...swaybar is just as accurate as stabilizer bar btw, and shortens a lot better too.
Yeah, "sway" probably does roll off the tongue a little easier.

But some years back, I knew a guy who had worked at Roush, and "sta-bar" was the industry-insider shorthand (sway is not the same thing as roll, and if you google "trailer sway bar" you'll find an entirely different thing)

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
PONY Member

Never mind FOund my answer
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LitreRiceEater View Post
So if I have tires in 255/40/19 front and 275/40/19 back, which rear sway bar do you recommend to keep the car well balanced.

Judging by the fact that you have 19" wheels(and this in no way implies anything negative btw) tells me you won't be pushing 10/10ths at the racetrack. If I were you, I would run the stock setup until you find exactly how your car responds to the way you drive and go from there. You can't throw parts at the car and assume they are going to make the car respond the way someone over the internet tells you it will.

Upgrading to quality shocks will 99% of the time be an improvement over stock. However swaybars(aka sta-bar to Norm) can have a dramatic and even a negative effect on handling, especially to someone without the necessary prior track experience both in general and with that particular car setup and track.
PONY Member

Quote:
Judging by the fact that you have 19" wheels(and this in no way implies anything negative btw) tells me you won't be pushing 10/10ths at the racetrack. If I were you, I would run the stock setup until you find exactly how your car responds to the way you drive and go from there. You can't throw parts at the car and assume they are going to make the car respond the way someone over the internet tells you it will.

Upgrading to quality shocks will 99% of the time be an improvement over stock. However swaybars(aka sta-bar to Norm) can have a dramatic and even a negative effect on handling, especially to someone without the necessary prior track experience both in general and with that particular car setup and track.

TNX GRIMACE!! BTW got the DW extreme contact per your recommendation (not on yet until the spring). As to I have Koni yellow so shock wise Im covered pretty well.

You are right about track. Only 2 times last year.
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LitreRiceEater View Post
TNX GRIMACE!! BTW got the DW extreme contact per your recommendation (not on yet until the spring). As to I have Koni yellow so shock wise Im covered pretty well.

You are right about track. Only 2 times last year.

Hey, I'm still working on my first track day so I can only offer general advice. The experienced guys here can offer the more direct advice regarding suspension setups, but the best information you can arm yourself with is direct feedback between you, the car, and your instructor(<-which even experienced racers appreciate).
Apprentice

Quote:

just curious what wheel size has to do with how hard you push it on the track?

2012 Red Candy GT Premium, 6MT, 401A, Brembo, GT Acc Pack 5, HIDs, Sat Nav
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
sorry for nitpicking, but it is an ANTI-sway bar, meaning it prevents or reduces sway ; a "swaybar" would increase sway which isn't really what we want

but anyway yeah we know what we mean in the common vernacular

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page