Brake Caliper Seized :( - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Brake Caliper Seized :(

So recently I noticed when I'd brake the brakes were grinding from the back left side. I had metal on metal... The rotor was toast.

I was boggled about how a 9 month old car could have a single rear set of pads wear through so quickly.

Brought it to Ford and it turns out the left rear caliper seized. It would've been a one day job but I got a call back saying the caliper is on backorder for at least a week... Wtf?

Is this a common problem or something? How could they be on backorder?

It's possible it may have been contributed to by a fast backroad drive and forgetting to enable sport mode.

I heard CBaty had similar problems too and had to have his caliper replaced.

2012 Mustang GT Premium (Manual), Sterling Gray, Brembo Package, 3.73 gears, Electronics Package, Comfort Package, HIDs, backup camera, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport springs, Steeda HD mounts, UMI panhard bar, Borla S-Type catbacks, MGW shifter, Driveshaft Shop carbon fiber driveshaft, RTR wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Roush front fascia, DG Custom hidden fog billet grille, Roush lower billet grille, Roush front and side splitters, DG Custom quarter window louvers, GT500 rear diffuser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

I had the same issue, driver side rear caliper, but on a 96 Cobra. That sounds really strange to be happening on a new car though? I've heard that the lines can get old and cause calipers to seize (I replaced mine when mine seized), but your car is practically brand new!

1996 SVT Cobra:smilie
1986 5.0 GT
1986 Mercury Capri 5.0 T-Tops:hihi:

1995 Formula Firebird (P.O.S) *SOLD*
1989 LX 5.0 *SOLD*
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012
PONY Member

Time to upgrade to some 2 piece rotors

Car: 2011 Black Mustang v6, 6-Speed Auto, Premium Package
MODS: KW Variant 3 Coilovers w/ Maximum Motorsport CC Plates | J&M Adj. Panhard Rod | AEM Intake | Bama 91R | Borla S-Type Axle-Back | Boss Front Conversion w/ Saleen Grille + Foglight w/ Auto Headlight | Boss Rear Diffuser | Forgestar F14 18x10 +42 w/ Nitto NT05 275/35-18 (all around)| BMR LCA | SVT GT500 BBK|
Chuckwalla(CW)-2:21.065
Streets of Willow(CCW)- 1:29.661
Buttonwillow(CCW)-Let's not talk about it

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012
PONY Member

It may be on backorder but ask them if they ran it on the locator to see if any other dealers have one.

1999 V6

2000 GT

One's Nice, One's Nasty
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012
5POINTO

Why would not putting on sport mode have anything to due with it?
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5POINTO View Post
Why would not putting on sport mode have anything to due with it?
It wouldn't ---

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012
PONY Member

This is what happened to me. The rear brake pads are shite. They will flash rust (just like the rotors) and get stuck to the rotor. Remember the parking brake does not use a separate brake pad like most do and when moisture gets in there the brake pads get rusted together with the rotor when the parking brake is appied. I only drive my car on the weekends with a wash at the end of the weekend. The car was not driven for 2 weeks prior to my brake pads rusting to the rotors on both sides.

I replaced the pads with Hawk ceramics and had to remove the old brake pad material that was rusted onto the rotor and all is good now. The brake caliper was not seized, but rather the pad was rusted to the rotor. If the OP's problem is the same as mine, more than likely the problem will happen again since Ford will use the same shite brake pads. Interesting though, the fronts have been problem free (so far). Also, in 10,000 miles this has been my only problem with the car.

2011 GT Coupe Premium, Black exterior with Charcoal black turned leather interior. Rapid spec 400A with 6-speed MT, 3.73 limited slip axle, 19" painted aluminum wheels, HID headlamps, comfort package. FRPP tune with K&N air filter. FRPP Touring axle back exhaust with Borla 2 3/4" over axle pipes. ST Suspensions coilovers w/GT500 mounts. Spohn poly/del sphere adjustable lower control arms and Spohn adjustable panhard bar with Steeda panhard bar brace. Hotchkis Sport sway bars.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeaz View Post
It wouldn't ---
Umm... Pretty sure it would. When cornering, electronic stability control applies the brakes individually along with cutting engine power to make sure you don't break the rear end loose. It's settings are way relaxed when in sport mode, and it does nothing when disabled.

So in addition to my constant braking in corner after corner, it was applying brakes aggressively to keep me from sliding out... Meaning the brakes were being heated up super hot without my knowledge.

Once this is resolved Ill have some DBA slotted rotors (fronts are 2 piece) going on with Porterfield R4-S pads.

2012 Mustang GT Premium (Manual), Sterling Gray, Brembo Package, 3.73 gears, Electronics Package, Comfort Package, HIDs, backup camera, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport springs, Steeda HD mounts, UMI panhard bar, Borla S-Type catbacks, MGW shifter, Driveshaft Shop carbon fiber driveshaft, RTR wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Roush front fascia, DG Custom hidden fog billet grille, Roush lower billet grille, Roush front and side splitters, DG Custom quarter window louvers, GT500 rear diffuser
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012
Banned

Yep, even though the Brembo package gives you more relaxed control with advance trac on than a regular GT has, you could drive beyond those parameters and the computer could be clamping down on that disc and you may not even know it.
PONY Member

It's still not going to cause a caliper to seize.... Prematurely worn out pads, yes. Calipers seize from lack of use, not too much. I've never seen an issue with the pads sticking, unless you set the parking brake and let your car sit all of the time, and that is something you should never do regardless of pad quality. If it sits for long periods of time, do not set the parking brake.

2011 GT 6MT (Cookie Monster) - The 1/4 life crisis. Brembos, 401A, drop top, Grabber Blue.

1974 Dodge Challenger - The money pit. 408 SB stroker, Megasquirt 2 EFI, 904TF, 3.91 gears. 16MPG and 520HP goodness

2004 Hyundai Tiburon - The winter beater.
Apprentice

Whoa. I had a similar problem - left rear brake pad got 'cocked'/hung up somehow in the caliper - I ended up with metal to metal contact, tore up the rotor. Replaced the rear rotors & pads last weekend with PowerSlot cryo rotors and Hawk Performance ceramic pads, I am now watching wear patterns closely.

Front rotors are on special order, I should be able to swap out the front hardware in another week or so.

In my left brain there's nothing right, and in my right brain there's nothing left.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011GrabberGT View Post
It's still not going to cause a caliper to seize.... Prematurely worn out pads, yes. Calipers seize from lack of use, not too much. I've never seen an issue with the pads sticking, unless you set the parking brake and let your car sit all of the time, and that is something you should never do regardless of pad quality. If it sits for long periods of time, do not set the parking brake.
No, not that kind of seizure... It's an overheating seizure or maybe due to a factory defect... Sure. I agree it shouldn't happen but after all the issues I've had nothing surprises me anymore.

Nothing was sitting for a long time... The car has been driven every day and has 11k miles in 9 months.

Apparently this seizure isn't common but it's not uncommon either.

FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
So recently I noticed when I'd brake the brakes were grinding from the back left side. I had metal on metal... The rotor was toast.

I was boggled about how a 9 month old car could have a single rear set of pads wear through so quickly.

Brought it to Ford and it turns out the left rear caliper seized. It would've been a one day job but I got a call back saying the caliper is on backorder for at least a week... Wtf?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
No, not that kind of seizure... It's an overheating seizure or maybe due to a factory defect... Sure. I agree it shouldn't happen but after all the issues I've had nothing surprises me anymore.
Nothing was sitting for a long time... The car has been driven every day and has 11k miles in 9 months.
Apparently this seizure isn't common but it's not uncommon either.
Let me get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area, Seventh. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
PONY Member

What actually seized? The piston or one of the slider pins? A torn boot on either can lead to this, as can a lack of lube on the slider pins.

2011 GT 6MT (Cookie Monster) - The 1/4 life crisis. Brembos, 401A, drop top, Grabber Blue.

1974 Dodge Challenger - The money pit. 408 SB stroker, Megasquirt 2 EFI, 904TF, 3.91 gears. 16MPG and 520HP goodness

2004 Hyundai Tiburon - The winter beater.
GT Member

I'd say it is a common problem; I had my whole rear brakes (rotors, too) replaced under warranty on my '11.

2011 5.0 Sterling Grey w/Brembo's - JHR Shifter/Bracket/SS Clutch Line - Eibach Sportlines - Carroll Shelby CC Plates - JLT Catch - Axle-back ex. - BG SS II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page