Axle back exhaust with more power? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Axle back exhaust with more power?

Hi Guys,
Is there any axle back exhaust, that might increase power in the 5.0?

2011 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73 & Std. transmission, Steeda Sport springs & KONI STRT. GT500 strut mounts, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS + ATE DOT 4, Rear CS style pedestal spoiler. Eleanor style side scoops, "C" style side decals, Black AM BOSS style roof vinyl, black hood custom vinyl & Black pony.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012
Rookie

Pype Bomb

Check out the Pypes Pype Bomb I've noticed an increase in horsepower along with new xpipes and midpipes!

HOOAH
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012
GT Member

You will gain no noticeable power from changing mufflers. It'll sound more powerful though

I'm not saying it was aliens...but it was aliens.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The biggest restrictions in the exhaust are the cats...followed by where it necks down to 2.25'' in the h-pipe and resonators. I would think you might pick up a few (single digits) pones by switching to an X-pipe and deleting the resonators like I did.

2015 Gt with perf pack/Guard Green/MBRP race exhaust/Steeda shifter bracket/ ....... more to come

Originally Posted by cudaman ........
Let's hope you don't have the same problem with your zipper and your fueling rod, should you run into another female in a Camaro that needs genetic gas.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I haven't tried and dyno'ed myself but I highly doubt you would get any noticeable power, if any. it's basically just for sound and that's usually what they're marketed for.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012
5POINTO

A muffler delete axle back will give you about 2-4 HP, but nothing you will notice. They are all about the sound. Plus losing those heavy stock mufflers...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012
Banned

There is no power to be freed by replacing axle backs. All of the major restriction in the exhaust system happens well before the axle backs.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012
BOSS Member
S197 Member

I have Corsa extremes. They claim a 7 hp increase I believe. But that amout of increase would be hard to "feel" . They are a lot louder, which gives the illusion of more power though. :hihi:

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I've been told the various Flowmaster axle backs all are good for around 8-9 HP, but you're sure as hell not going to feel that in a 400+ HP car. 15-20 HP would be noticeable, but you'd need a very well-engineered cat back system, (at least) for that.
Grimace427

There are a few videos on YouTube showing a set of GT500 axlebacks gaining 10hp at the wheels on an otherwise stock 5.0, but when I looked closer I found they did their baseline in 4th gear and the after run in 5th. If anyone wants to show a YouTube video with a set of axlebacks gaining power pay close attention to how they perform their dyno run.

FWIW, when my car was dyno'd last year the operators made 3 pulls, and there was almost 5hp between them with no changes made to the car. Just something to think about.
Apprentice

Here is a YouTube example of 9 RWHP gained supposedly with the addition of GT500 axlebacks.

2013 Mustang GT Dyno (Stock, Axleback, and SVE Powerpack) - YouTube

2011 GT,Coupe,Race Red ,M6,3.73,Brembo,
HID,Security,401a,Comfort, FRPP Sports MGTLA,
Full size Brembo spare wheel/tire
GT Member

I netted 40 HP and 42 TQ over advertised stock Ford HP and Torque ratings and it cost me over 3K to get those numbers… So you decide if those 300 dollar axel backs change anything other than sound…

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneman91 View Post
Here is a YouTube example of 9 RWHP gained supposedly with the addition of GT500 axlebacks.

2013 Mustang GT Dyno (Stock, Axleback, and SVE Powerpack) - YouTube
This is my personal car. I still have the graph of that day sitting in my office. I will admit, it caught me off guard to see a gain like that with just an axle back. I'm still 50/50 on the gains myself.

9:41 am it made 363.
11:04 am it made 372
12:02 pm it made 393

The first 2 dyno pulls were done with a stock tune (2 pull is with the GT500 axle backs). After the 2nd pull, the JLT and tune was loaded to make the 393 number.

[email protected]
LatemodelRestoration.com

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
This is my personal car. I still have the graph of that day sitting in my office. I will admit, it caught me off guard to see a gain like that with just an axle back. I'm still 50/50 on the gains myself.

9:41 am it made 363.
11:04 am it made 372
12:02 pm it made 393

The first 2 dyno pulls were done with a stock tune (2 pull is with the GT500 axle backs). After the 2nd pull, the JLT and tune was loaded to make the 393 number.

Jarrod, wouldn't the atmospheric pressure of the day moving along explain it? I though (I'm no meteorologist) that on a stable day, air pressure is the densest typically around midday till about 3PM.
Apprentice

Exactly 3.14592653589739 hp's worth.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page