Sound After Installing LCA, Relo Brackets, and Panhard bar. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Sound After Installing LCA, Relo Brackets, and Panhard bar.

I have a 2012 5.0 with Roush Extreme Lowering Springs. My buddy sold me some parts from his car he was returning to stock to sell. I got Whileline Relocation brackets, LCA and Steeda Panhard bar. I installed it and drove it home. I had a metallic rubbing/scraping sound coming from the rear. sounds like right rear but it hard to pin point from inside the car. I thought that maybe the Emergency cable was to tight from taking the cables of and putting them back on. I don't think that is the issue the sound is constant and changes with speed. does not change with brakes on or off. only time it goes away is about 1-2 seconds after a downshift. My buddy did similar mods and has the same sound. I heard 2 things. One was that it is the pinion angle is off. the second is it can't be the pinion angle since i have a 2 piece drive shaft. The fix i was told is a adjustable UCA to correct the pinion angle. Anyone have any useful input. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012
Apprentice
S197 Member

I have something similar, which can easily be managed with some soft volume settings on the radio. I accounted the new noise to the harsher parts/bushings that were installed. I believe what we're hearing is simply the NVH of the axle bearings being transferred up into the interior given their proximity to the LCA mounting points.

I had gear whine before the install and that really didn't change (increase) all that much with the install of the LCAs. So, noises coming from the middle of the rear seem less likely IMO... That might change though once I get the UCA and mount upgrade I'm waiting on (come on, Santa!).

Fortunately, the dealer is working on the gear whine issue and it should be wrapped up in the next week or two. Apparently, Ford created a new tool for the dealers to use in order to get the gear setup correctly. So, I'm just waiting on that to come in.

2013 Track Pack GT
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Cool thanks. I don't think I have any gear whine luckily. but I know it happened from installing the parts because the noise was not there before. I don't mind using my radio but I'm a true gear-head and like my exhaust as my radio. but that noise is interfering with that sweet music.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012
Apprentice

If you didn't have the noises prior to the install and your car already had the Roush extreme springs, then it is almost certainly related to the new parts.

Did you make sure everything was tightened down to the proper torque specs?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Just a thought?

Did you tighten and TORQUE all fasteners while the suspension was loaded (RIDE HEIGHT)? If not there are all kinds of noises that can appear due to interference and binding. Were all suspension parts installed seated, no binding bushings, proper lube applied where needed?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yes the suspension was loaded and everything was torque correctly from what ive hear the relo brackets sometimes pull the pinion out of its alignment. getting and Adjustable uca fixes the problem. so i guess im going to buy one this week and install it and try to get it back to the proper angle.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012
Banned

I've have the same sound in my car. It sounds like it is coming from the right rear and only when I turn my ear to it. It definitely has something to do with the wheels turning. I can't hear it if I am looking straight forward. Loudest around 40 - 50 mph. Does that sound like yours?

Only difference is I don't have any suspension mods on my car. I just attributed it to normal NVH.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yea very similar
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013
Grimace427

There were several guys who have had their rear brake pads replaced due to a scraping sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
lca , uca

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page