New rims/wheels, need some help. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

New rims/wheels, need some help.

Hi guys/gals,
Seems I'll be getting new 18" rims (Elbrus 106 in machined silver w/ice coating) and new Michellin X ice XI 3 winter tires from Tire Rack as a Xmas gift from my wife.
I ordered all 4 rims with TPMS sensors installed,what is involved in getting the car to recognise the new TPMS sensors? is this something I can do myself or does it have to go to the dealer for setup?
Any insight regarding this would be greatly appreciated,thank you guys!
For local guys that are looking for a set of winter wheels( Toronto & GTA ) I've listed my 18" winter steelies with snow tires and TPMS installed on CraigList, here's the link: https://post.craigslist.org/k/popNLF...pjds?s=preview

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012
PONY Member

You may not have issues with the TPMS. I went through 4 different sets and didn't have to do anything once. If you have an issue, your dealer (or one that doesn't suck) should be able to help you for free.

2013 Mustang GT - 402A GT/CS - 6R80 - Glass Roof - Engine Block Heater - SGM Exterior - CB/Miko Interior

Steeda Adjustable PHB (Street) and Steeda PH Brace, Stainless Works Retro Catback Exhaust...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012
GT Member

You need this along with the sensors wich you already have.
Mustang TPMS Transmitter Tool w/ DVD Instructions at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

It's very easy to do and sync. It took me less than 5 minutes.

SOLD: Black 2011 GT 5.0.
1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

if your car doesn't automatically recognize the sensors, you will need the scanner to do that yourself but your dealer should do that for free.

if your car gives you a pressure reading or a warning for each tire instead of a general warning when any tire is low on pressure, then you should get them synced once you put the tires on, even if the car recognizes the sensors right away.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks for the helpful hints guys,interesting link fake, thanks... a little disappointed with Tire rack,They sell and install a TPMS valve, but don't offer a reset tool???If the guy I dealt with mentioned that I might need it, I would have ordered it,and this coming from a "tire expert".
I'll comb through the manual and see what Ford suggests,if all else fails I'll probably take it to my dealer for reprogramming.
Shipping, HST (13% tax) duty,tire tax, brokerage and a slew of other "government incentives" amounted to another $651.00 on top the $1500.00 spent on the package,just nuts up here in Canada.
Come to think of it, I will call Tire Rack and have a chat with a manager about the fact HIS "tire expert" did not even mention I "might" need a resetting tool to get these things to work!
OR; I might just try this to see if it would work;install the wheels,start her up,then go to each tire and let some air out and see if it detaches it,maybe around 10/15 psi... fingers crossed.

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Domesticpower;
"if your car gives you a pressure reading or a warning for each tire instead of a general warning when any tire is low on pressure "
Did you mean to say; if your car gives you a general warning and NOT a pressure reading for each tire,then it must be synced.?
just trying to understand,thanks

The rest is all FORD
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Candy REDCS View Post
Domesticpower;
"if your car gives you a pressure reading or a warning for each tire instead of a general warning when any tire is low on pressure "
Did you mean to say; if your car gives you a general warning and NOT a pressure reading for each tire,then it must be synced.?
just trying to understand,thanks
I think Domesticpower was correct in his original wording, it's just a little confusing. Basically, when you get a psi or warning light for a specific tire (like Driver Front side), then the TPMS sensor is communicating for that particular position. However, if you just get a general low psi warning and it doesn't specify which location is low, then you don't need to sync the sensors if you switch them around.

Not sure if I helped much clearing that up haha. Let me know if I need to clarify more!

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks Shane, I have a better understanding now... I spoke to Tire Rack early enough this morning before they shipped my wheels out, and they are sending a triggering tool along with the wheels,apperently, its easy enough to use and set up my own sensors,thanks again mate!
I SO cannot wait for this thursday to get here LOL.finally the look I want is within easy reach!!!

The rest is all FORD
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks for clarifying Shane! That is what I meant, sorry about the confusing wording.
PONY Member

5.0 Candy REDCS - I know it's a little late (maybe not, though), but next time you want to shop for a wheel and tire package, check out Discount Tire Direct. I ordered from them and they destroyed TR's prices. Just a heads up for future reference.

2013 Mustang GT - 402A GT/CS - 6R80 - Glass Roof - Engine Block Heater - SGM Exterior - CB/Miko Interior

Steeda Adjustable PHB (Street) and Steeda PH Brace, Stainless Works Retro Catback Exhaust...
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks katastrophe
I'll keep that in mind...I think the worst part is shipping, taxes, HST and a slew of other hidden costs ( taxes)with shipping to Canada,even if you buy Canadian, the prices get stupid high from all the research I've done so far!
Down the road,maybe this coming summer,Ill be looking to replace the stock 19" rims with new ones as well,so I will check out DTD to see how they compare with TR...Thanks again.
Taxes, shipping and the rest of it pumped the cost up just south of an additional $700.00...that's pretty insane.
My 18" Michelin's came to just under $200 each,each rim was around $144... but then I had to add the TPMS to each wheel which adds another $35 apiece, all hardware, mounting and balancing is included in the overall cost per wheel of $375.
All 4 rims, tires,TPMS and hardware came to exactly $1500, but the additional costs of taxes, shipping ect took that up to just north of $2151!!!
TR had cheaper tires,but I like the quality Michelin has in their snow tires ( Xice XI 3, one of the highest rated snow tires out there );I also found rims that were a lil cheaper, than the Elbrus 106 but I hated the look or design.

The rest is all FORD
PONY Member

Quote:
Thanks for the helpful hints guys,interesting link fake, thanks... a little disappointed with Tire rack,They sell and install a TPMS valve, but don't offer a reset tool???If the guy I dealt with mentioned that I might need it, I would have ordered it,and this coming from a "tire expert".
I'll comb through the manual and see what Ford suggests,if all else fails I'll probably take it to my dealer for reprogramming.
Shipping, HST (13% tax) duty,tire tax, brokerage and a slew of other "government incentives" amounted to another $651.00 on top the $1500.00 spent on the package,just nuts up here in Canada.
Come to think of it, I will call Tire Rack and have a chat with a manager about the fact HIS "tire expert" did not even mention I "might" need a resetting tool to get these things to work!
OR; I might just try this to see if it would work;install the wheels,start her up,then go to each tire and let some air out and see if it detaches it,maybe around 10/15 psi... fingers crossed.
Whoa...pump your brakes kid...TireRack absolutely offers the tool and, when you order online, there is a pop-up window that asks you if you want to add it to your order.

2012 Mustang GT Premium Kona Blue W/ 401A Trim
Electronics PKG, RR Sensing/Security PKG, HIDs PKG, Comfort PKG, Brembo Brake PKG, Glass Roof, Rear Camera
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

" Whoa...pump your brakes kid...TireRack absolutely offers the tool and, when you order online, there is a pop-up window that asks you if you want to add it to your order."

I did not order online, as I said,I placed my order with a "tire expert"and he failed to mention the resetting tool,if he did I would have ordered it,plain and simple...
They included it to my order after I called back,resolved through communication,amazing how well that works kid

The rest is all FORD
PONY Member

Quote:
Thanks katastrophe
I'll keep that in mind...I think the worst part is shipping, taxes, HST and a slew of other hidden costs ( taxes)with shipping to Canada,even if you buy Canadian, the prices get stupid high from all the research I've done so far!
Down the road,maybe this coming summer,Ill be looking to replace the stock 19" rims with new ones as well,so I will check out DTD to see how they compare with TR...Thanks again.
Taxes, shipping and the rest of it pumped the cost up just south of an additional $700.00...that's pretty insane.
My 18" Michelin's came to just under $200 each,each rim was around $144... but then I had to add the TPMS to each wheel which adds another $35 apiece, all hardware, mounting and balancing is included in the overall cost per wheel of $375.
All 4 rims, tires,TPMS and hardware came to exactly $1500, but the additional costs of taxes, shipping ect took that up to just north of $2151!!!
TR had cheaper tires,but I like the quality Michelin has in their snow tires ( Xice XI 3, one of the highest rated snow tires out there );I also found rims that were a lil cheaper, than the Elbrus 106 but I hated the look or design.
That price is ouch. Yeah, check out DTD. They only charge you $360 on top of what you are ordering...it works out to $40 a tire and $50 a wheel...including all taxes, shipping, BS, etc. As I don't have HST, I can't comment on it, but that's how it worked for me.

I know TR can't really do anything since you already bought the package, but man...you should really let them know that they are dropping the ball with Cdn customers. Not to mention overcharging you. I'd give them my 0.02...

Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by domesticpower View Post
Thanks for clarifying Shane! That is what I meant, sorry about the confusing wording.

No worries, everything made sense, it just had to be read carefully. You have no idea how many times I've spit out an answer and then go to read back my response wondering what the hell was I thinking! haha.

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page