Best gear for FI 1/4 mile - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Best gear for FI 1/4 mile

I have a turbo car and was looking for some input from some other FI guys to find out what gears are making the best times in the 1/4 for them....I want to get a 10.99...

2012 Black on Black GT
8psi Hellion Single Turbo Kit
ID1000s with a BAP, and GFB controller
Tuned by BBR with GT 500 exhaust no Cats
MGW shifter, Dual aeroforce gauges BMR UCA and Panhard Brace
BBR LCA's and Panhard Bar, AMR wheels
331 gear 552/597 on 7.8 psi
Raptor dual mode shift light
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012
PONY Member

Have you ran in the 1/4? What car? Auto or manual? Hp?

2013 BOSS 302 #0838 GHIG, Recaros, Torsen, 3.73s, Borla S-Types, DSS CF Driveshaft, Paxton Novi 2200, Jegs Cat Deletes, MGW Shifter, Airaid CAI, Steeda Sports, GC CC Plates, UPR LCA Relocation Brackets, J&M Adj. PHB
SOLD-
2011 5.0 Premium Kona Blue
Brembos, 3.73s, 6M
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaizer View Post
Have you ran in the 1/4? What car? Auto or manual? Hp?
Oh sorry it is a 2012 M6 GT with a hellion Turbo kit. I have ran many times but only with my other cars...this one hasn't been to the track yet. I currently have 331s but looking to get whatever is best for the 1/4.

2012 Black on Black GT

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012
PONY Member

Actually, those might be perfect. Or at least not worth the trouble of changing at this point. Do you know how many hp the car puts down?

I'd recommend just hitting the strip a few times to see where you're at gear and RPM wise at the 1/4, and then going from there.

2013 BOSS 302 #0838 GHIG, Recaros, Torsen, 3.73s, Borla S-Types, DSS CF Driveshaft, Paxton Novi 2200, Jegs Cat Deletes, MGW Shifter, Airaid CAI, Steeda Sports, GC CC Plates, UPR LCA Relocation Brackets, J&M Adj. PHB
SOLD-
Brembos, 3.73s, 6M
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012
Grimace427

Start with the tallest available gear(you already have 3.31 so that is where I would start) coupled with 28" tall tires and go from there. There is no way to know what the optimum gear or any component until you've made several passes and found exactly what is holding you back. If you need to shift to 5th then you know they are too short. However, if they are too tall it would be easier to get shorter tires instead of changing the gears.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012
Rookie

Usually I like 410 gears in the quarter or maybe a hair lower for some guys
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
if all you want is 10.99 you should go to the 1/4 and try, you might already have that.

Freind has a Steeda tuned 5.0 with only muffler delete and CAI and with street legal slicks was able to run 11.78 so you have turbo you should be able to get your goal or darn close already.

2016 Mustang GT 5.0 Magnetic Metallic Performance Package
Interior - Recaro Bucket Seats, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Diode Dynamics LED Visor Mirror Lights, LED Glove Box Light, LED Trunk Light, and LED Map Light
Exterior -Dealer Installed Shelby GT350 Racing Stripes, SunTek Carbon 15% Tint, Diode Dynamics LED Switchback Blinkers, LED Reverse Light
Performance - MBRP Race Series 3" Catback
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012
GT Member

I am looking at going to a whipple or Kenne Bell blower and I was thinking 3.55 for that application… Sorry I cannot give any more input than this, I am not a turbo expert but I thought a turbo charger loves RPM’s … I personally would think 3.31 are too high… a lower gear would keep the car in the high rpm range between shifts and isn’t that where a turbo makes all of its power, you know like a Vortech or Paxton… You have dynode the car I take it… use this web page and it will help you determine what gear and tire size to run to meet your goal, and yes track time always helps... I also know someone that runs 3.55's 28 inch tall tire and runs mid 10s in his blown 2011 5.0 at the dragstrip...
1st = 3.66
2nd = 2.43
3rd = 1.69
4th = 1.32
5th = 1
6th = 0.65
Gear Ratio Speed Calculator

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012
Apprentice

take grimice427 advise. mess with the tire size first.
ford put 3.31 gears in the 662 hp shelby for referance.
i see guys with lots of boost keep 3.31/ 3.55 gears to get the most torque,power thru the 1/4. good luck on your research.

1993 south carolina ssp.
h/c/i 307rwhp 317rwtq.

2012 race red gt. 6m, 3.31
frpp tune. 374rwhp, 378rwtq.
one speeding ticket
PONY Member

JMVHO,, Unless you want to shift to 5th ... stay with the 3.31,, The lower 1st/2nd tranny gear will get you moving and the 3.331's will keep you in 4th in the 1/4,

You should get you into the mid-10's and 135mph on a 28" tire.

If you do change gear, 3.90's would probably be your best choice,, those will give you enough time to wind 5th out.

2010 Grabber Blue Mustang GT, Forged 4.6L Roush TVS and other stuff ... The modding shall never end ...

Wife's car ... 2014 Sterling Gray Premium GT 401A, stock for now ..
Apprentice

My car is procharged making 605 at the wheels. i currently have 3.73's and plan on switching to 3.31's alot of guys have made that switch and love it. Lethal performances old 2011 gt with a whipple was running 3.27's they found that to be the best gear for their setup

2012 Mustang GT premium, Brembos, hid/security, 3.73's, Kooks catback, Lethal off road xpipe, Spohn lca & relocation brackets, Spohn upper control arm, Procharger Stage II @ 8 psi tuned by Jon lund
BOSS Member
S197 Member

My car is Procharged. 544 rwhp stick. Running 325/40/18 Racemaster drag radials. I am finding that my stock 3:73 gears with the MT 82 supercharger combination is way too steep. In first gear, there is no way to control the wheelspin. Unless you baby it of the line. So IMO for FI cars, something less than a 3:73 ratio is a good place to start.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
PONY Member

I'm guessing my car is putting somewhere around 650 to the ground, maybe less. I'm going to do some track runs on slicks before I make any decision on gears. I can say with quite a bit of certainty, however, that I don't believe the 3.73s will be ideal for my set up. I'm thinking 3.31s or 3.27s but we'll see...

SOLD-
Brembos, 3.73s, 6M
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks to everyone for the information...Im guessing I will stick with the 331s for a bit and see how they do.

2012 Black on Black GT
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Stay away from the 3.73s or 4.10s if you are looking at drag racing. Those are for the guys that like to spin their wheels. If you are looking for better times, I think you would be better served with those stock 3.31s, but may actually choose to move to the 3.55s. After a few trips to the strip, you can make up your mind.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page