Mustang GT needs more power? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Mustang GT needs more power?

On the one hand, I'm amazed that we have relatively affordable 400+ HP ponycars back from Ford, Dodge, and Chevy. Fifteen or twenty years ago, that would have seemed very unlikely.

But as the power on the Mustang and the other ponycars has increased, so has the power in mundane family sedans and luxobarges. Hyundai makes a 400+ HP sedan, and BMW, Jaguar, and many other makers are over 500 HP on some models. Granted, the 500+ HP cars are generally quite expensive.

Anyway, I can't help but think that the Mustang GT could handle even more power. But I don't know how Ford could do it without increasing cost beyond the target market. Plus the high cost of fuel and increasing CAFE targets would make it even harder...

Could Ford make a 475-500 HP Mustang GT for under $40k that gets 25 mpg highway? A direct injected Coyote with about 4 psi boost?

2011 Kona Blue GT Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012
GT Member

You're asking a bit much. The current model has 420hp, the Boss has 440hp, and the Shelby has 662hp. There's not another lineup with the same hp/dollar out there. I don't think a 475+hp Mustang for under 40k is possible.

I'm not saying it was aliens...but it was aliens.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
On the one hand, I'm amazed that we have relatively affordable 400+ HP ponycars back from Ford, Dodge, and Chevy. Fifteen or twenty years ago, that would have seemed very unlikely.

But as the power on the Mustang and the other ponycars has increased, so has the power in mundane family sedans and luxobarges. Hyundai makes a 400+ HP sedan, and BMW, Jaguar, and many other makers are over 500 HP on some models. Granted, the 500+ HP cars are generally quite expensive.

Anyway, I can't help but think that the Mustang GT could handle even more power. But I don't know how Ford could do it without increasing cost beyond the target market. Plus the high cost of fuel and increasing CAFE targets would make it even harder...

Could Ford make a 475-500 HP Mustang GT for under $40k that gets 25 mpg highway? A direct injected Coyote with about 4 psi boost?
I think this is possible. I think the 2015 GT will be under $40k. It should also be direct injected. And I think hp will be right around what you are looking for.

2012 automatic black Mustang 5.0, the most basic model LOL.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Im pretty sure the 15 will just be redesign of exterior and drivetrain and that irs crap. The 5.0 just came back so i dont see them chagnging it or adding 75 horses unless they supercharge it which would take away aftermarket companies money so who knows.

Current
12 5.0 white A6 stormtrooper 18x9 18x10 amrs borla s types tru fiber 3in cowl , gt500 spoiler, mmd louvers now to performance and suspension
11 5.0 black on black 6mt comfort package , bama tune, airraid cai, elenor scoops, side scoops, gt500 wing, speeddawgs shift knob gb. Vortech blow - sold
2005 V6 grabber blue , elenor hood wing scoops , foose rims 18x9 18x10 , Bama tuned, dual exhaust. Sold
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member

With leaving pony cars on the side, American cars these days have no chance competing with germans and especially sedans and suvs.
The only fast rwd is the 300/charger srt and doesnt have any chance with german hyper sedans. Previously we had the fastest suv which is the jeep srt8 in 06 and now its one of the slowest.
The 475hp srt engine performed worse than the previous 6.1!

Ford mustang gt premium with HID/ Ford racing adjustable handling pack/ Hurst short throw shifter/ Borla ATAK/ ARH long tube headers/ JLT Cobra jet CAI/ Jon Lund tune/ GT500 spoiler and diffuser/ CS front fascia/ Boss splitter/ Aeroforce interceptor Gauges/ SOS gauge pillar/ Valentine 1/Redline tuning hood struts/ GT500 Mud Guards/Ford Racing SVTPP rims/ Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position/Roush side skirts/CobraJet intake/Cobrajet throttle body/JLT oil separator
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by haitham View Post
With leaving pony cars on the side, American cars these days have no chance competing with germans and especially sedans and suvs.

The Taurus SHO can run with cars way over it's price point, especially when comparing with European luxury models. Other than Volkswagen, every Euro company focuses on the amenities over pure performance anyway.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
The only fast rwd is the 300/charger srt and doesnt have any chance with german hyper sedans. Previously we had the fastest suv which is the jeep srt8 in 06 and now its one of the slowest.

...did we somehow drop the CTS-V off the planet while I was gone?

Most "hyper sedans" also come with a hyper price tag. I don't really see the point in competing with a field already full of overly expensive techno toys. Since the retirement of the GTO and G8 (both of which are fantastic cars...) the caddy is the only player in a relatively small market.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Been driving street /strip cars for 40 years. Trust me. With regards to power. Its never enough.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
Been driving street /strip cars for 40 years. Trust me. With regards to power. Its never enough.
Me too at 40+ years and I couldn't agree more. Been down that road a few times and it's never enough. To that I will add there is always someone faster. So I've learned not worry about who/what is faster or you will empty your pocket book and drive yourself crazy. Instead enjoy what you have and mod as you wish to what makes sense for you. A stock 5.0 is already faster than probably 95% of the cars on the road anyway.
Apprentice

Meh, power is fun but overrated. I don't have 40 years...more like 17 I suppose. However, I've owned about 65 cars over than span of time, beat on/wrenched on damn near everything from junkers to hyper-exotic (F40 was by far a highlight of my driving career).

I've gone from one end of the spectrum to the other. Started out with "**** it, make it fast" approach. Driving a 69 440 6bbl 4spd Road Runner at any speed with drum brakes is about the scariest thing one can do in the modern world :kooky:I peaked my lust for power around the 1200hp mark, when it finally reached the point of absurdity. Now I focus more on suspension, brakes, and ancillary systems before power even comes into play. This has more to do with spending money on road course lessons vs. parts than anything. "The one part people forget to fix is the loose nut behind the steering wheel" :smilie

Reality is that the vast majority of people couldn't drive a Miata to it's limits, let alone a 400hp stock RWD chassis like the S197. Too many overcompensating by being able to just push the loud pedal and go fast in a strait line. Anyone can do that -- few can make a car truly dance on command (which I can't by a long shot, but I am better than most).

Power is fun. Power is addictive. But power is nothing without control. Just my .02

...now I really miss some of my old cars :*(
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

I think the answer to your question is coming in 2015. The 5.0 with Ecoboost should be a 500 HP vehicle. At least on paper.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Why is everyone excited in adding turbo or a twin turbo engine into a mustang?
First it doesnt sound as good as a v8, isnt as efficient and wont last longer.
2nd: anti lag will be present
3rd: Most new turbo engines I've tried such as hyundai 2.0t and vw turbo engines all shake at idle and cause in cabin vibration that is felt if no one is moving.

Ford mustang gt premium with HID/ Ford racing adjustable handling pack/ Hurst short throw shifter/ Borla ATAK/ ARH long tube headers/ JLT Cobra jet CAI/ Jon Lund tune/ GT500 spoiler and diffuser/ CS front fascia/ Boss splitter/ Aeroforce interceptor Gauges/ SOS gauge pillar/ Valentine 1/Redline tuning hood struts/ GT500 Mud Guards/Ford Racing SVTPP rims/ Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position/Roush side skirts/CobraJet intake/Cobrajet throttle body/JLT oil separator
PONY Member
5.0L Member

And for who says domestics compete by their price point, I do respect that.
But we no longer,
1.have more luxurious cars than domestics (remember when lincoln and cadillacs were the best in offering big luxury cars) We dont have that now.
2. No longer have sport sedans, at least they should compete in terms of power. And the SHO doesn't qualify because imports have more power such as hyundai has an N/a 330hp v6 or a 5.0 400+
3. In SUV competition we lost too, the jeep srt8 was the only hope but it didnt compete.
The best thing here is trucks.
I hope it gets better, muscle cars always impress.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncshooter View Post
Meh, power is fun but overrated. I don't have 40 years...more like 17 I suppose. However, I've owned about 65 cars over than span of time, beat on/wrenched on damn near everything from junkers to hyper-exotic (F40 was by far a highlight of my driving career).

I've gone from one end of the spectrum to the other. Started out with "**** it, make it fast" approach. Driving a 69 440 6bbl 4spd Road Runner at any speed with drum brakes is about the scariest thing one can do in the modern world :kooky:I peaked my lust for power around the 1200hp mark, when it finally reached the point of absurdity. Now I focus more on suspension, brakes, and ancillary systems before power even comes into play. This has more to do with spending money on road course lessons vs. parts than anything. "The one part people forget to fix is the loose nut behind the steering wheel" :smilie

Reality is that the vast majority of people couldn't drive a Miata to it's limits, let alone a 400hp stock RWD chassis like the S197. Too many overcompensating by being able to just push the loud pedal and go fast in a strait line. Anyone can do that -- few can make a car truly dance on command (which I can't by a long shot, but I am better than most).

Power is fun. Power is addictive. But power is nothing without control. Just my .02

...now I really miss some of my old cars :*(
I've had an F40 poster on my wall since before I could say the word...

2013 Mustang GT - 402A GT/CS - 6R80 - Glass Roof - Engine Block Heater - SGM Exterior - CB/Miko Interior

Steeda Adjustable PHB (Street) and Steeda PH Brace, Stainless Works Retro Catback Exhaust...
Apprentice

Quote:
If you do not mind paying about twice as much for the car. Sure you can get an 3XXi for under $40K but it is a stripped down anemic version lacking power, handling and creature comforts. Want a sporty variant and you are into the M3 at the price point of a GT500. Mercedes is no different, sure you can get a C class, again for under $40K but everyone knows you own the "C" for Cheap Mercedes. Want a real Mercedes and you are at least into the E class ($50+K) if not the S class ($70+K).

-Ken
2011 5.0 Convertible 401a with Accessory Package 6 and 19" Wheels

Other rides:
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
2007 H-D VRSCD Nightrod
Beechcraft King Air 300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page