Drone with Roush A/B's?? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Drone with Roush A/B's??

I have been noticing lately that my car is droning between 70-80 MPH. It is loud enough that my ears ring after long drives! I did drive it for a total of 16 hours in a span of 3 days, which is much longer than I typically drive it in that amount of time. Maybe it has been this loud since I installed the Roush A/B's in January, but it's starting to drive me nuts! I think I am going to purchase the Borla S type mufflers and replace the Roush's with those. I don't mind it on short drives, but on these long road trips, it can really start to be bothersome.

Anyone else running the Roush A/B exhaust notice annoying Drone/ loudness on your cars? Like I said, its no big deal on short trips. However, on long drives it can really get tiresome! If I do end up with the Borla's, I'll offer the Roush's here first. I'm sure they are fine, I just want to go with something quieter I think.

2012 Mustang GT Premium, Black, GB and Black Interior, 6AT, Electronics Package, Backup Cam, Comfort Package, HIDs, Remote start, Reverse Sensors, 19" wheels...

Ordered: 10/05/2011 Delivered: 12/31/2011 Picked Up: 1/2/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012
PONY Member

Well, the Roush's are loud!

I have them and I never noticed any drone at highway speeds or any other speed. Are you running 3.73's that would make your RPM's a bit higher at that speed?

When I added the Boss 302 side pipes there is a little drone with the windows up at around 2000 RPM, not noticeable any other time.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012
Banned

Check for exhaust leaks. They should not be doing that.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012
Banned

If you do switch to the Borla S, I can say mine have absolutely no drone. At 65 mph, 6th gear, 2K rpm, 3.73 gears, I can't even hear them. At 75 I will hear an exhaust note, not loud and no drone.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

check the welds on the roush mufflers there have been some that have rusted out mine included and it made it louder/sound bad ended up tossing them and getting bassanis best switch i ever made
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

I don't think I had any drone with the roushs, they were just really loud.

2011 Mustang GT black. Mods: JLT CAI, JBA Long Tube Headers Catted H-pipe, GT500 axle back, Bama 93 Race tune, Koni STRTs, Speeda Sports, GT500 mounts, BMR LCAs, relo brackets and panhard bar
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire009 View Post
I don't think I had any drone with the roushs, they were just really loud.
Yeah. I think there is occasional drone on the highway, but I generally only drive city... I drove to Florida and I loved the cruise sound.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcakez72 View Post
check the welds on the roush mufflers there have been some that have rusted out mine included and it made it louder/sound bad ended up tossing them and getting bassanis best switch i ever made
I had mine replaced under the 3 year warranty because of the welds breaking. I ended up selling mine when I got sick of the noise. Ended up getting the GT500s for the price that I sold the Roush for.

Received 7/2/10: 11' GT base with 3.73,
Installed: Steeda CAI, SCT, Steeda tune, GT500 axlebacks, SVT leather wheel, Infinity Kappas, Boston amp, Bazooka powered sub, yellow fog light bulbs, dark front corner lights, GT500 splash guards, tint, SVE Drift matte 18"x9" wheels with 265/40s and SVE 1" drop springs, Koni Yellow, HP+ pads, brake duct coolers with CS front lower and splitter
Bought and soon to be installed: Edelbrock E-force stage 2
Stable: 14 SHO, 10 Road Glide
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012
PONY Member

I never had any "drone," but like others have said they were very loud!

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Manual
5POINTO

The problem with the Roushs IMO is not the volume, it is the rasp. Most loud exhausts will drone at some rpm.
PONY Member

Over 10K miles on my Roush AB. No drone at all. I love 'em!

2011 GT Premium 6M convertible. Sterling Gray w/401A package, charcoal seats w/grabber blue stripe. Security package. Roush front fascia, splitter and rear wing. Black bullit wheels with 18x9 front, 18x10 rear. FRPP suspension. FRPP x-pipe. Roush axle-back exhaust w/square tips. JLT carbon fiber CAI with custom tune. Carbon fiber engine cover & coil pack covers.
Apprentice

I have the Borla S and they have a bit of drone around 2100-2200 rpm. Its there and gone before you know it so I can't complain.

2013 Mustang GT Premium - Performance White - Track Pack
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIL 5.0 View Post
I have the Borla S and they have a bit of drone around 2100-2200 rpm. Its there and gone before you know it so I can't complain.

You might be talking about something other than drone.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12 View Post
I have been noticing lately that my car is droning between 70-80 MPH. It is loud enough that my ears ring after long drives!
Anyone else running the Roush A/B exhaust notice annoying Drone/ loudness on your cars? Like I said, its no big deal on short trips. However, on long drives it can really get tiresome! If I do end up with the Borla's, I'll offer the Roush's here first. I'm sure they are fine, I just want to go with something quieter I think.
Drone is cause by a completely different cause then the sound you hear from the exhaust note coming out of the muffler. Drone is cause by the entire exhaust system, from the headers to the exhaust tip, resonating (vibrating) over a narrow frequency range. The resonating is caused by the engine exhaust pulses being "frequency related" to the length and weight of the exhaust system. The whole exhaust system resonates (vibrates and gives off a tone) just like a large pipe on a "pipe organ." What you usually hear, in the car, is the pipes running under the cabin "resonating (vibrating)" at a single tone - making it very loud in the cabin - when the engine RPM are within a specific range. Ford "designs out" the "drone" by adjusting the gas velocity in the pipes (done with bends/pipe shaping), by canceling certain frequencies in the exhaust stream and by adjusting the weight of various components to minimize their vibration/resonance. Few aftermarket exhaust component manufacturers do the engineering required to completely eliminate drone. Any change to the "factory designed exhaust system" can easily result in exhaust drone. If it "bugs you" I would sure call any future manufacturer to see what they will "warranty" about drone on your specific car.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

A friend of mine with an 2011 GT 5.0 automatic had Roush A/B mufflers and was not having a problem until he went to Lethal offroad cat delete exhaust. After that he could not carry on a conversation with anyone at highway speeds. He replaced the Roush mufflers with GT 500 mufflers, problem solved. Sounds great too. I have the same set up (H-pipe instead of X-pipe) on my 6M with the GT 500's. They are loud but no drone problem at all. Not to mention the GT 500 A/B mufflers cost about half of what most other muffler options for the 5.0 cost.

2014 GT 5.0 Premium (Ordered 2/1/2013, received 3/20/2013) 6A - 401A premium trim - Steeda CAI - (Mike Rousch) SCT Dynojet custom tune - Lethal offroad H-pipe - J&M LCA's - BMR relocation brackets - Circle D 5C converter - DSS aluminum drive shaft - front sway bar delete kit - stock mufflers - and a stock 3:15 gear. Best pass so far - 60 ft. 1.577, 1/4 mile e.t. 11.567, mph 117.22.

(Traded in on new 2014)
2011 GT 5.0 Premium - Black - 6M - 3:73 gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page