HURST W/ BARTON 12 10.43%
Other 7 6.09%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Short Throw MGW vs Hurst w/ Barton 2 post

Trolls, please ignore this post.

I know its been talked about many times in multiple forums and threads...

I just can't decide between the 2 though. I love the way the Hurst looks and have heard wonders of what the barton bracket does... I imagine a combination of these 2 would be pretty unique and capable.

Obviously the MGW is the bomb based on reviews, personal experiences etc etc etc. Im pretty much 60-40% on MGW but this Hurst/Barton set up is very tempting. Both would cost about the same, maybe 50 bucks more for the MGW.

PLEASE DECIDE FOR ME SO I BUY ONE ALREADY!!!

THANKS!

2013 Mustang GT Premium - Performance White - Track Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012
Grimace427

Find a cool shift arm for the MGW. If you find one, buy it.

post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012
GT Member

I have a MGW and a buddy of mine has the Barton on his GT500...

The Barton has a longer shifter handle then the MGW.

While sitting still and going though the gears the Barton shifter felt like it was attached to a more solid mount then the MGW.

Flip a coin and you won’t go wrong on your choice...

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
I have a MGW and a buddy of mine has the Barton on his GT500...

The Barton has a longer shifter handle then the MGW.

While sitting still and going though the gears the Barton shifter felt like it was attached to a more solid mount then the MGW.

Flip a coin and you wonít go wrong on your choice...

Two different designs as those were two different transmissions.

Apples to oranges. The way the Barton feels with the MT-82 won't be the same as the one for the Tremec.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012
Rookie

I'll let you know after the 19th, I am taking my GT to MGW for the install and it's a 4 hour ride home.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012
GT Member

any reason youre not considering the Barton shifter with the Barton bracket? very nice setup, love mine

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang259 View Post
I'll let you know after the 19th, I am taking my GT to MGW for the install and it's a 4 hour ride home.
You're going to drive 4 hours to have a shifter installed?

2012 Black GT, 3.73 gears, Vortech kit, JLT intake, Lethal xpipe, JMS BAP, GT500 axel backs, MGW shifter
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

It's easy. Do it yourself. Not worth the 4hr drive and mgw install price.

2013 Deep Impact Blue Metallic MT-82 401a
DiabloSport in tune - AirAid CAI - SVT GT500 AB - Ford Racing P springs - Forgestar F14 - Roush rear/side splitters - Stillen chin splitter - CS Fascia conversion - LED fog delete - 2 much 2 list.... Official mod addict: D
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LITER_MUENSTER View Post
It's easy. Do it yourself. Not worth the 4hr drive and mgw install price.
+1

I just installed mine last week. Time consuming if you install everything included, sound deadning, heat shield, etc. but not to difficult. Just a lot of steps to follow. Be sure to read the included instructions as the videos are now out of sync with the current product.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
any reason youre not considering the Barton shifter with the Barton bracket? very nice setup, love mine
I was considering it but I use this beast as a daily driver and a 40% reduction throw seems a little too much. Hurst is 27% and MGW is around 30%. I don't want it reduced too much. I also am not too fond of the reverse LED light that hurst offers since it does the hard left and down reverse as oppose to pushing down and left into the gate.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

2013 Mustang GT Premium - Performance White - Track Pack
Apprentice
S197 Member

Looks like MGW is the clear winner here, go figure

I've DD mine for over 6 months and it has performed flawlessly, though it does require more effort because of the stiff centering springs. Took the car to the track and every shift was spot on.

IMHO you cant get a better setup for the MT82.

Craig
2012 GT 300A Lava Red Metallic, Brembo's, 3.73's, Build date 6/17/11
372 RWHP, 354 RWTQ ; GT500 AB's, MGW
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Fire View Post
Looks like MGW is the clear winner here, go figure

I've DD mine for over 6 months and it has performed flawlessly, though it does require more effort because of the stiff centering springs. Took the car to the track and every shift was spot on.

IMHO you cant get a better setup for the MT82.

Like there was ever any doubt . It's been 7 months since my MGW install. Still love it. The spring has loosen over time, i don't feel the extra effort anymore. It's probably me getting used to it, but i prefer the "TIGHT" shifter that require more efforts to shift. Can i put in a stronger spring??

My Junk POS MT82 and tens of thousand POS mt82 survived TWO winters. How can it be? It's suppose to whine and grind all winter!!!! I love troll myth
2012 GT Premium, Glass Roof, 3.73, MT82, HID+SEC, 401A, MGW shifter, Gt500 muffler, Clear bra, 3M tint
Rookie

Don't mind the drive and MGW does not charge to install thier product, I am not set up to do the install at home so driving to MGW is a small price to pay.
Apprentice

Love my daily driven MGW.

If shift effort is a concern, just put a heavy weight shift knob on, makes all the difference in the world and in my opinion, makes the MGW perfect.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIL 5.0 View Post
I was considering it but I use this beast as a daily driver and a 40% reduction throw seems a little too much.
its not too much trust me, I drive me everyday and its a joy to drive with the Barton shifter/bracket combo, the 40% reduction is too much on shifter that pivot on a single axis, the Barton uses a dual pivot trunion that makes that 40% only on the forward>back shifts, not the side to side shifts btw I had the Hurst and it was rubbish

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page