what size rubber stop for sound tube delete? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

what size rubber stop for sound tube delete?

i bought a 1 3/4 and it was way too big. what is the correct size rubber stop/plug for the intake side? thanks!

2012 Black/black GT Premium, Brembo, HID, 3.73 - Borla LT's, Borla x-pipe, Borla touring cat back, Airraid CAI, Bama 93R tune, Steeda LCA/UCA, MM CC plates, panhard and bracket, front/rear swaybars, billet front/rear swaybar brackets/links, chassis brace, Bump steer kit, Tri-Ax shifter/bracket,Eibach Multi-Pro R2 CO's, FRPP diff cover, Weds Wheels 19x10, 275/40/19 Bridgestone Pole Position, GT500 rear spoiler, CDC chin spoiler. Full stereo system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012
Sean Reilly

First, I Assume That you Are Asking About The Stock Cold Air Tube??.......If Yes Then Why Do You Want To Remove The Sound Tube?.....If You Do,You Should Measure The Outside Diameter, (It Might Be In Milimeters For Jeez Sakes?) And Then Go To The Plumbing Store. Or Home Depot, And Get One Of The Rubber Caps With The Worm Clamp.......I Would Never Try To Install A Plug That Goes Inside The Elbow (Such As The Kind With The Wing-Nut In The Middle That Expands Outward) As It Could Get Sucked Right Up Against You Throttle Blade Causing Damage..............Sean

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Reilly View Post
Why Do You Want To Remove The Sound Tube?....
Because they sound like crap.

Quote:
I Would Never Try To Install A Plug That Goes Inside The Elbow (Such As The Kind With The Wing-Nut In The Middle That Expands Outward) As It Could Get Sucked Right Up Against You Throttle Blade Causing Damage..............Sean
Very unlikely because those style plugs have a taper to them. For added saftey you can also drill a small hole from the side through the tube and put a "set screw" in.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

When I was looking for the firewall plug I came acrossed this site and for 11 bucks decide to just buy this...
2011-2013 Mustang Sound Tube Delete Kit

Last edited by Sundaze; 12-30-2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spelling sucks
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012
Sean Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
Because they sound like crap.

Very unlikely because those style plugs have a taper to them. For added saftey you can also drill a small hole from the side through the tube and put a "set screw" in.
Yea whatever, he should Just do it the right way, and find the size cap that fits over the hole.......This way no drilling (And who cares if it " highly unlikely that it will get sucked in") I know that they are tapered, but with the major temp. differences between a cold under hood condition, and knocking the snot out of it in 90 degree weather.....Who needs to take the chance with expansion and contraction.........As you know these stock elbows are rubbery as hell compared to the aftermarket elbows! Why take the chance
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

I used a 1.5" plastic plug. It is Hillman part number 884314, found in the hardware section at Lowes. Had to trim it just a little for a very snug fit inside the tube. I put some clear silicone adhesive on it for added insurance.

For the firewall side, I used Ford part number W651016S300, which is about 55 cents at your local Ford dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1270.jpg
Views:	3095
Size:	891.4 KB
ID:	168934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1274.jpg
Views:	1100
Size:	611.2 KB
ID:	168935   Click image for larger version

Name:	008236974812lg.jpg
Views:	1420
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	168936  

2011 Mustang GT base, MT, 3.31 gears, E85 tuned, 47lb injectors, JBA stainless off-road h-pipe, GT500 axle-back, BMR springs, Roush UCA and billet LCA, CHE LCA relocation brackets, Strange 10-way struts/shocks, SPC aluminum adjustable panhard bar, BMR driveshaft loops, Barton shifter and bracket, JHR clutch line
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012
Apprentice

There is a thread about deleting the sound tube. It has a ford part # for just the right firewall plug. That's how I did mine. Looks like nothing was ever there.
I'll see if I can find it.

2011 Black GT Premium, Brembo brake pkg, 3.73 gears, 6 speed.
Barton shifter and bracket. Gt 500 axlebacks. Eibach pro springs. Redline tuning hood shocks.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012
Apprentice

Ford part # W651016S300, it is a 30mm rubber plug. This is the exact same thing Ford uses to plug holes that are not being used.
Looks like the factory put it there.

I got mine from Tousley Ford online, cost 55 cent,

2011 Black GT Premium, Brembo brake pkg, 3.73 gears, 6 speed.
Barton shifter and bracket. Gt 500 axlebacks. Eibach pro springs. Redline tuning hood shocks.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

got it done. there is no possible way that the plug could get sucked in lol. it's tapered heavily.

2012 Black/black GT Premium, Brembo, HID, 3.73 - Borla LT's, Borla x-pipe, Borla touring cat back, Airraid CAI, Bama 93R tune, Steeda LCA/UCA, MM CC plates, panhard and bracket, front/rear swaybars, billet front/rear swaybar brackets/links, chassis brace, Bump steer kit, Tri-Ax shifter/bracket,Eibach Multi-Pro R2 CO's, FRPP diff cover, Weds Wheels 19x10, 275/40/19 Bridgestone Pole Position, GT500 rear spoiler, CDC chin spoiler. Full stereo system.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjracing View Post
got it done. there is no possible way that the plug could get sucked in lol. it's tapered heavily.
You got that right. If I remember correctly, I just trimmed the leading part of the plug a little bit, put a little sealant on it, and tapped it home with a soft-blow hammer. If I ever find a need to take mine out, one or more power tools will be involved. :hihi:

With the off-road H and GT-500s, I have plenty of sound coming from places that sound should come from...

2011 Mustang GT base, MT, 3.31 gears, E85 tuned, 47lb injectors, JBA stainless off-road h-pipe, GT500 axle-back, BMR springs, Roush UCA and billet LCA, CHE LCA relocation brackets, Strange 10-way struts/shocks, SPC aluminum adjustable panhard bar, BMR driveshaft loops, Barton shifter and bracket, JHR clutch line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page