GT Oil Pressure Gauge Question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

GT Oil Pressure Gauge Question

As everyone knows, the stock GT oil pressure gauge is just an idiot light with a needle. I am curious if the oil pressure sending unit simply sees pressure and sends a constant signal to the gauge, with this having the needle sit in one position. Or, is it that the gauge is only capable of giving one constant position? If the gauge is actually capable of operating as a real gauge (even if it has no numbers to indicate the actual pressure) could we change the sending unit to a different model and make it work? Anyone done this?

PS : does anyone know the actual oil pressure operating range from idle to redline for the Coyote?

2012 GT premium 6r80 Kona Blue with Saddle interior : Magnacharged, 3.55s, BFG G-Force Super Sport A/S 255/45-18, GT500 axlebacks, Saleen grill, CS lower valance, SLP trunk panel, MRT adjustable head restraints, BOSS oil cooler, BOSS brakes lines, C-Max ceramics for street and SP Performance Street Plus pads for light track duty, NAPA 5.1 brake fluid, BMR springs, LCA relocation brackets, panhard bar, Steeda ProAction shocks and struts. GT500 strut mounts, other small mods. Daily Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012
PONY Member

Stock sensor and gauge are a dressed up warning light I don't think the gauge is calibrated to a variable resistance sender so even if you replaced it I don't think it would read correctly. I installed a gauge pod on the A Pillar and installed Auto Meter Oil Pressure, Water Temp and Oil Temp gauges. For the oil pressure I used brass fittings to create a Tee to allow the stock and new gauge to have a source tap. You have to keep the stock sender as the switch is read by the ECU and will go to limp mode without the signal.

Normal Oil Pressure range warmed up is 30 psi at Idle to 68 psi at 7000 rpm, above 2000 rpm the pressure varies from 50-65 depending on rpm. This is why Ford stopped giving us real working gauges, too many nuisance service calls when owners see the needle move up and down.
Steve

6 Piston GT500 Brembos, 3.55, 6 speed manual, Sparco Ergo seat, Ford Racing Sparco race steering wheel, Koni Yellows, Boss 302S WC splitter, GT500 rear axle cover, Differential cooler, Cobra Jet Intake, Boss Graphics, Setrab 934 Air to Oil Setrab cooler, M-2004-MB brake cooling kit, Ford rotors, Carbotech XP24/XP20 pads, M-5300-P springs, FRRP Laguna Seca 19x9, 19x10 wheels, GT500 axlebacks, ARH 1 7/8" Headers/3" X-Pipe, Ford Racing SCJ throttle body, Ford Racing CJ CAI, AED tune.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012
BOSS Member
S197 Member

I have a Ford racing oil pressure gauge on mine. When cold oil pressure can get up near 100 pounds. Once warmed up it runs around 20-25 pounds at idle and around 40-45 at cruise. Under more throttle it can go as high as 60-70 pounds. Regardless, more than enough pressure.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
I have a Ford racing oil pressure gauge on mine. When cold oil pressure can get up near 100 pounds. Once warmed up it runs around 20-25 pounds at idle and around 40-45 at cruise. Under more throttle it can go as high as 60-70 pounds. Regardless, more than enough pressure.
^ What he said. I have the FRPP Oil pressure gauge as well. 25 at idle, 45-50 cruising.

-2011 GT , 6AT, ROUSH TVS 2300 Phase 3 Supercharger w/ CAI, 82mm Pully, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Bassani Longtubes, Bassani HiFlo Cats., Bassani Cat-Back Xhaust, Eibach Pro Suspension, J&M Panhard bar, BMR LCAs, BRENSPEED Tuned...(More in profile)
-1965 Fastback "A-Code" 2+2 , 289 4bbl Edlebrock Performance, Ravin Exhaust..
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012
Apprentice

They put a real one in the focus st
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page