K&N vs. Royal Purple - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

K&N vs. Royal Purple

2013 GT.

First oil change. Thinking about doing my own. So, do you do your own oil changes while car is in warranty? And the BIG question.....K&N or Royal Purple? Or some other preference?

Mahalo,

MauiGTMan

Sterling Grey 2013 GT Premium, Auto, Roush Stage 1 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune, 626 HP, Nav, Brembo Brake/Wheel Package, Eibach Lowering Springs, Whiteline Panhard Bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012
Rookie

I use a good synthetic and change more often then I need to. There is always a lot of talk of oil break down and viscosity. Use a good synthetic and you should be all right.

Regarding doing your own oil changes while in warranty, I ran into a problem with this on a previous car. Stealership said that I had voided my warranty on a Mazda Speed3 by doing my own oil changes. Since then I have taken a photo of the receipt next to the mileage in the car and keep the photo in a oil change folder. This will show that you are doing scheduled (or in my case, extra) oil changes.

2013 Black GT
JLT Cold Air ~ Bama Tune ~ SR Lowering Springs (1.4" Drop)
MMD Classic Quarter Panel Louvers ~ MMD Side Scoops
Kid seat in the back
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

K&N vs. Royal Purple

Thanks for your reply. I am concerned about the assertion that I might be voiding my warranty especially with the dealership known as Jim Falk-You Motors!

Sterling Grey 2013 GT Premium, Auto, Roush Stage 1 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune, 626 HP, Nav, Brembo Brake/Wheel Package, Eibach Lowering Springs, Whiteline Panhard Bar.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012
Rookie

Royal purple is what i use ony car....if you do just normal driving, ill use 5w-20. If not..10w-30
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012
PONY Member

I would have thought dealerships would have given up messing with people for doing their own oil changes by now ...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiGTMan View Post
2013 GT.

First oil change. Thinking about doing my own. So, do you do your own oil changes while car is in warranty? And the BIG question.....K&N or Royal Purple? Or some other preference?

Mahalo,

MauiGTMan
The dealer can't void your warranty for changing your own oil but you do need to keep a file of all your receipts for proof if there ever is an oil related issue.

K&N or RP, I assume your question is regarding an oil filter? I don't think K&N makes motor oil. The RP filters are very good filters I would have no issue using there filter as for there oil I'm not a fan. Amsoil also makes excellent oil filters as well. The OEM motorcraft filter is also good and the Ford racing filter as well.

As far as oil is concerned I'm a fan of Amsoil good stuff. I run 5/30 versus 5/20.

2012 GT Premium, Ingot Silver, Brembo package, 3.73's, Clear Bra, GT500 Axle Backs, tint.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012
GT Member

If you are worried about a warranty conflict on when and who changed your oil… The best place to start is with a Motorcraft Oil Filter… I had a dealer hassle me about some other brand of oil filter than Motorcraft… Why some people don’t like Motorcraft is beyond me, that’s their choice… If Ford says it is good enough for the warranty it good enough for me… Just keep all receipts and a good log of when oil change date and millage you should be OK…

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012
PONY Member

Motorcraft Oil filters are some of the highest quality out there, no reason not to use them, if you want a super premium filter use the Ford Racing 820S, has more filter media, less restriction and a premium silicone gasket.
Steve

6 Piston GT500 Brembos, 3.55, 6 speed manual, Sparco Ergo seat, Ford Racing Sparco race steering wheel, Koni Yellows, Boss 302S WC splitter, GT500 rear axle cover, Differential cooler, Cobra Jet Intake, Boss Graphics, Setrab 934 Air to Oil Setrab cooler, M-2004-MB brake cooling kit, Ford rotors, Carbotech XP24/XP20 pads, M-5300-P springs, FRRP Laguna Seca 19x9, 19x10 wheels, GT500 axlebacks, ARH 1 7/8" Headers/3" X-Pipe, Ford Racing SCJ throttle body, Ford Racing CJ CAI, AED tune.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012
GT Member

Royal Purple 5w20 and Motorcraft oil filter. I change my own oil and always will.

SOLD: Black 2011 GT 5.0.
1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I do my own oil changes,use fully synthetic oil (Mobile One) but I buy my oil filters at the dealership.believe it or not the filters at my locale delership are cheaper than at the locale parts store.
Banned

Another vote for the Motorcraft filter. Also I would hold off on going full synthetic for the first change. Reason is full synthetic may hinder or slow proper break in of the motor. May be a little old school thinking but what would it hurt?

Also don't forget to pre-fill the oil filter so you don't have a dry start up. Engine takes 8 qts of oil and check it often during the first 10K miles of break in or until you are comfortable with the oil consumption. Some engines drink the oil during break in.
GT Member

I was using mobil 1 and got a deal on some royal purple so I bought it will be switching on next oil change, bought RP filter too

Blower and stuff

622 whp and 545 wtq @ 8.5psi
AED Tune = Best mod of all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2013 gt oil changes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page