Borla S-Type A/B affecting gas mileage? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Borla S-Type A/B affecting gas mileage?

I recently had Borla S-Type A/Bs installed on my 2013 GT and after the first couple of days stomping on the gas for kicks :smilie , yesterday, I filled up my gas tank and decided to play it more conservative (for a day or two!) to see how it affected my mileage. I normally keep the display on the gas mileage screen and in typical city driving, I tend to get between 15.5 - 16.1 mpg. Now, it's seems stuck on 15.1, no matter how conservative I drive.

From what I understood, I thought I might see a slight increase, but it seems to be having the opposite effect. Is there normally a "break-in" period??

It's strange because normally the mileage fluctuates quite a bit after I first fill up the tank and reset the gas mileage tracker, but after two days of commuting to work, it seems to be just sitting at the 15.1 mark.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

2013 Black GT Premium, manual, reverse sensing/security package, all weather mats, 19 inch painted aluminum wheels, Shaker Pro, glass roof, accessory package 5, Borla S-Type Axle Backs, Bama 93 Street Tune, Sun-tek Carbon 35% tint

Ordered 4/5/12, VIN 4/28/12, Window Sticker 5/21/12, Build Date 5/25/12, ETA 6/5/12 Revised ETA 6/10/12...grrr, 6/17/12...Delivered 6/12/12!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013
J Orbit

It should have no noticible effect. I say 'noticible' because letting it flow more will help the engine breathe marginally better but it's not enough to notice a increase or decrease in MPG.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Thanks for the response, J Orbit. I certainly didn't install them to see an increase but to see it running a bit lower and also seeing very little fluctuation in the mpg # at the start of a new tank is what baffles me.

I guess I'll just go back to making it roar and see how things shake out in the long run :yelpleased:

2013 Black GT Premium, manual, reverse sensing/security package, all weather mats, 19 inch painted aluminum wheels, Shaker Pro, glass roof, accessory package 5, Borla S-Type Axle Backs, Bama 93 Street Tune, Sun-tek Carbon 35% tint

Ordered 4/5/12, VIN 4/28/12, Window Sticker 5/21/12, Build Date 5/25/12, ETA 6/5/12 Revised ETA 6/10/12...grrr, 6/17/12...Delivered 6/12/12!!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Yeah, like he said, I would not expect any noticeable difference up or down.

Then again, if they are defective (like plugged), that would hurt . . . but they probably would be quiet, and from your description apparently they are not!

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Well, an update and I am feeling a little stupid... I reset the mileage tracker (again) and suddenly, the numbers were moving. On the upside, during the short ride home, I actually saw 1 - 1.5+ mpg average better gas mileage than than I've ever seen since I had the car.

Again, nothing to write home about, but it was noticeable. Thanks again for the responses!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013
Apprentice

Well my gas mileage has decreased but I know it's because I love the sound and I get on it much more often. My avg gas mileage dropped one mile per gallon

2013 Subaru WRX Premium | Nameless Catback | Cobb Intake and stage 1 tune

2013 GT Premium | Comfort package | Rear Sensing & Security Package | 19" Brushed Aluminum/Black Wheels | 6spd | Borla S-Type | BAMA Ghost cam tune | O/R X pipe | Airaid Intake (Sold)

1999 Mazda Miata | Hard Dog Hardcore Rollbar | Dual Borla Catback | Wilwood 4 Piston Front Brakes | Racing Beat Intake
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013
Grimace427

The onboard trip computer is not something you should be basing any legitimate fuel mileage tracking off of. If you really want to know if the mufflers affected fuel mileage, or anything for that matter, then you will need to calculate by hand. It should be pointed out that your driving habits will have a far greater impact on actual MPG's than any mechanical change to the vehicle other than attaching a parachute or rocket engine.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013
PONY Member

My mpg sucked after putting them on. I can't stop driving the car and hearing the exhaust.

2012 Premium Mustang GT 5.0 MT82 Red Candy Metallic 3.73's / HID & Security Pkg / Comfort Pkg / Barton 2 Post / Borla S-type Exhaust
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_02 View Post
My mpg sucked after putting them on. I can't stop driving the car and hearing the exhaust.
Well, after two weeks, +1 on this! lol I can't control myself :yelpleased:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page