Vortech initial impressions - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Cool, I actually scrolled down and saw your vid after I posted that message and I like what I hear! It sounds the way I imagined it would. Im definitely leaning towards the paxton/vortech kits, but I'm still doing my homework. It will be awhile before I buy anyway though I just replaced all the kitchen appliances.

2013 Subaru WRX Premium | Nameless Catback | Cobb Intake and stage 1 tune

2013 GT Premium | Comfort package | Rear Sensing & Security Package | 19" Brushed Aluminum/Black Wheels | 6spd | Borla S-Type | BAMA Ghost cam tune | O/R X pipe | Airaid Intake (Sold)

1999 Mazda Miata | Hard Dog Hardcore Rollbar | Dual Borla Catback | Wilwood 4 Piston Front Brakes | Racing Beat Intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
S197 Member

Whatver you get will be awesome. If you decide to go with a vortech or paxton I really recommend talking to beefcake. I have nothing but good things to say about the guy. He is the best vendor have ever delt with. By a long shot.

2011 Musang GT 6MT. Ford Racing 4.10 gears, TA Rear End Girdle, Boss 302 intake manifold, O/R x pipe, Ford Racing K springs, upr pro-series lca/uca/mount NGK 6510 gap to 0.32, ID 1000 injectors, KB Boost a pump, Paxton novi2200sl w 3.6 inch pulley 10psi. tuned by lund racing. unknown power.
post #18 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvancedSpecV View Post
Cool, I actually scrolled down and saw your vid after I posted that message and I like what I hear! It sounds the way I imagined it would. Im definitely leaning towards the paxton/vortech kits, but I'm still doing my homework. It will be awhile before I buy anyway though I just replaced all the kitchen appliances.
I have been driving around with the windows open and heat on.. You don't really hear the blower whine, but it sounds cool when the bypass valve is open lol. It makes a lovely symphony IMO.

2011 Mustang GT - 6 Speed, White, Brembo package
Vortech v3si, homemade intake, Koni yellows, GT500 strut mounts and mufflers, BBK LCAs, Barton 2 post, MT Street Comp tires 255F 285R
567hp/460ft*lb wheel [email protected] / 1.883 60' ([email protected])
1973 Mustang Mach 1- Fuel injected 351c, toploader 4 speed, 9" trac-lok, Hotrod Flatz OD green

post #19 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Captain's log: Day 5

I ordered a set of plugs from the Ford dealer, then called Shaun from AED on my lunch break with the intent of setting up an appointment for a tune to get my issues sorted out (CEL for misfire at high RPM, surging idle/1/4 throttle). He told me it doesn't sound like a tune related issue to him, and that it sounds like I need to have the crank sensor reset. I didn't swap the clutch out or anything, but the belt was off while the car was on ramps. I'm almost positive the e-brake was set so the car wouldn't roll, but could be wrong.. it could be possible that it moved a degree from the car rocking or something, who knows. I have read that certain tunes wipe out enough data to require a crank learn. Either way I have an appointment first thing in the morning tommorow at Levittown Ford. I have had positive experiences with them in the past, but I found it odd that the need to keep the car to "diagnose" it. I will speak with the service manager when I drop it off and see if it can be done on the spot, I know its a simple thing to do and would do it myself if I had the ability to. Will update tommorow with results

Vortech v3si, homemade intake, Koni yellows, GT500 strut mounts and mufflers, BBK LCAs, Barton 2 post, MT Street Comp tires 255F 285R
1973 Mustang Mach 1- Fuel injected 351c, toploader 4 speed, 9" trac-lok, Hotrod Flatz OD green
Apprentice

Good luck and please keep us up to date!

2013 Subaru WRX Premium | Nameless Catback | Cobb Intake and stage 1 tune

2013 GT Premium | Comfort package | Rear Sensing & Security Package | 19" Brushed Aluminum/Black Wheels | 6spd | Borla S-Type | BAMA Ghost cam tune | O/R X pipe | Airaid Intake (Sold)

1999 Mazda Miata | Hard Dog Hardcore Rollbar | Dual Borla Catback | Wilwood 4 Piston Front Brakes | Racing Beat Intake
post #21 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvancedSpecV View Post
Good luck and please keep us up to date!
Thanks.. Ford did a crank relearn, it might be my imagination trying to justify the wasted money but the car feels smoother. Unfortunately the misfire happened again at the top of 3rd gear. I am swapping my plugs tommorow and going over the car again. I am kind of pissed that I couldn't get the colder NGK plugs by Monday.. I have a track rental paid for, and really don't want to miss out on it. So far I have spent $230 trying to fix a $5000 kit and a week of my time. I'm getting a little frustrated, and really hope the plugs do the trick. One of the plug's electrode looked a bit smaller than the others.. If they don't I guess I'll throw some Torco in it and see if it helps to buy me Monday at the track.

GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downwardspiral View Post
Thanks.. Ford did a crank relearn, it might be my imagination trying to justify the wasted money but the car feels smoother. Unfortunately the misfire happened again at the top of 3rd gear. I am swapping my plugs tommorow and going over the car again. I am kind of pissed that I couldn't get the colder NGK plugs by Monday.. I have a track rental paid for, and really don't want to miss out on it. So far I have spent $230 trying to fix a $5000 kit and a week of my time. I'm getting a little frustrated, and really hope the plugs do the trick. One of the plug's electrode looked a bit smaller than the others.. If they don't I guess I'll throw some Torco in it and see if it helps to buy me Monday at the track.
I don't know close to what the guys at AED know. But I don't think is the plugs. The plugs could give you a small miss at idle but at part throttle or wot they shouldn't cause any misses or codes if you gap them to 0.32. Also make sure that your maf is clocked properly. Around 5 o'clock if you look at it from driverside fender. If all that is checked I'm sure that the issue is tune related.

2011 Musang GT 6MT. Ford Racing 4.10 gears, TA Rear End Girdle, Boss 302 intake manifold, O/R x pipe, Ford Racing K springs, upr pro-series lca/uca/mount NGK 6510 gap to 0.32, ID 1000 injectors, KB Boost a pump, Paxton novi2200sl w 3.6 inch pulley 10psi. tuned by lund racing. unknown power.
post #23 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolith View Post
I don't know close to what the guys at AED know. But I don't think is the plugs. The plugs could give you a small miss at idle but at part throttle or wot they shouldn't cause any misses or codes if you gap them to 0.32. Also make sure that your maf is clocked properly. Around 5 o'clock if you look at it from driverside fender. If all that is checked I'm sure that the issue is tune related.
I am pretty confident that Shaun knows what hes talking about, he said to check the clocking of the MAF too.. I don't want people to think he doesn't know what he's talking about, because I didn't quote him word for word.. I am just trying to eliminate any possible problems while I have time. If I didn't go to Ford yesterday for the relearn and buy the plugs I wouldn't be able to try either one by Monday. In my head, the miss would happen when the plug needs to work the hardest, high RPMs at high pressures. I think mine is clocked at 6 o clock (perpendicular to the DS fender.) I'll try clocking it to see what happens. Thanks for the info.

GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downwardspiral View Post
I am pretty confident that Shaun knows what hes talking about, he said to check the clocking of the MAF too.. I don't want people to think he doesn't know what he's talking about, because I didn't quote him word for word.. I am just trying to eliminate any possible problems while I have time. If I didn't go to Ford yesterday for the relearn and buy the plugs I wouldn't be able to try either one by Monday. In my head, the miss would happen when the plug needs to work the hardest, high RPMs at high pressures. I think mine is clocked at 6 o clock (perpendicular to the DS fender.) I'll try clocking it to see what happens. Thanks for the info.
Ofcourse Shaun knows what he's talking aboht man. What plugs do you have in there now?

post #25 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Ofcourse Shaun knows what he's talking aboht man. What plugs do you have in there now?
The stockers gapped to .034.. im going to switch them out for a new set of stockers gapped to .032. Btw I gapped them the right way. Without touching the electrode.. I clocked the MAF and it seemed to run smoother, but the CEL lit up and stayed on this time. I'm going outside to play with it now..

GT Member
S197 Member

Why don't you try a set of ngk 6510. That's what I have and they run good. Btw they should have them at your local autoparts.

Apprentice

def swap to the ngk 6510's, you should be running 1 heat range colder

Worlds Quickest Centrifugal Coyote - 8.75 @ 167
post #28 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Why don't you try a set of ngk 6510. That's what I have and they run good. Btw they should have them at your local autoparts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefcake. View Post
def swap to the ngk 6510's, you should be running 1 heat range colder
On the phone trying to get a set locally now.. Swapped the plugs and found the quick disconnect from the PS valve cover to the IAC housing wasn't clipped in all the way. I am looking at the Ford Racing M-12405-M50 plugs.. They are a step colder and supposedly pre-gapped to .035. I'll see which ones I can get locally I guess. I'd be kind of pissed at vortech if the colder plugs solve the issue. They specifically said not to use a colder plug in the instructions. If it didn't say this I would have ordered a set of colder plugs when I got the kit, It would make perfect sense if the heat range was causing the CEL.. It seems to only do it during extended pulls, I would imagine thats when the tip of the plug would absorb the most heat. Some of the plugs I took out of the engine looked kind of ******, but I can't understand why if I don't feel a misfire, the AFR is a steady 11.89 and the timing is a steady 15. I am going to try to figure out how to use SCT's datalogging software and make a "friendly" call to vortech so they can check it out.

:Before beginning installation, replace all spark plugs that are older than 1 year or 15,000 miles with original heat range plugs as specified by the manufacturer and reset timing to factory specifications (follow the procedures indicated within the factory repair manual and/or as indicated on the factory underhood emissions tag). Do not use platinum spark plugs unless they are original equipment. Change spark plugs every 20,000 miles.

GT Member
S197 Member

11.90 afr is generating a lot of heat dude. I would try to fatten the mix a bit.

post #30 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
11.90 afr is generating a lot of heat dude. I would try to fatten the mix a bit.
I am thinking of cutting half a degree of the timing and fattening it up a bump just to be on the safe side. I am willing to sacrifice a few HP in the name of safety. I am not 100% that the number was 11.9, but I was making sure it was in the 11's, not the 14s lol. I hope I am not totally screwing myself, but I am going to play with the tune using my diablo tuner. It is much nicer to work with than the supplied SCT and honestly I don't trust SCT's software.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page