Vortech initial impressions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Vortech initial impressions

I've been blabbering about getting this thing for a while now, and it's finally in and working properly. As far as the install goes, it went fairly smooth.. but it would be nice to get molded hoses instead of hacking up the existing coolant/pcv hoses. Regardless, it's a nice kit and you are getting alot for the money. The instructions were clear, but make it seem a little easier to pull off than it is. Overall it took me roughly 20 hours to install with my dad's help and a few hours of my cousin lending a hand. It is probably more involved than the procharger kit (mark that up as a win on their part), so leave a long weekend to do it at a comfortable pace. On the first run out I kept blowing off the coupler that connects the 120 bend from the throttle body to the 90 bend. I replaced the clamps with t-bolts and aligned the pipes perfectly and it hasn't blown off since. It really scared me the first time I nailed it.. the hose popped off loudly, my CEL went on and the car died. I though I blew #8 lol.

The first real drive was somewhat uneventful, putted around town, revved it up to make sure the coupler was holding and it seems good. Did a couple 2nd gear pulls in sport mode and was kind of dissapointed. It felt very much the same as the diablosport canned tune when I pedaled it to avoid wheelspin. Got on the parkway on the way home and gave it a little gas in 3rd and 4th.. yep, thats where the power comes in noticably. It feels great, and I'm happy with the purchase. I will say now I know what people mean when the say the canned tune will leave you wanting more. The car isn't frighteningly fast (kind of what I'm looking for), it's very smooth power.

More to come..
PS: thanks to Lou at Stage 3 Motorsports for the killer deal and excellent customer service

2011 Mustang GT - 6 Speed, White, Brembo package
Vortech v3si, homemade intake, Koni yellows, GT500 strut mounts and mufflers, BBK LCAs, Barton 2 post, MT Street Comp tires 255F 285R
567hp/460ft*lb wheel [email protected] / 1.883 60' ([email protected])
1973 Mustang Mach 1- Fuel injected 351c, toploader 4 speed, 9" trac-lok, Hotrod Flatz OD green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

That's one bad 5.0 you got there

Theres nothing like a supercharged 5.0 I remember picking up my 2011 GT after having a Kenne Bell blower installed.The acceleration was just wicked and it would just keep pulling like a freight train lol

Both Vortech and KB are local for me and I have nothing but good things to say about both.My friend had the first Vortech supercharged 5.0 and they did a lot of R&D with his car.

congrats and start saving up for some tires

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000142.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	207834  

2011 Performance white base GT 6MT 3.73 gears(sold)
Banned
4.6L Member

really it should be dyno tuned for best results, also you are seeing kinda the drawback on centris...lots of top end, not sure how useful that is for a daily...the twin screws make that great low end power that is so much fun , and top end...

PONY Member
4.6L Member

Damn 2Many, dont rain on his parade.

2oo1 Mustang Cobra Convert.
My mods? I'll tell you once we cross the finish line.
GT Member

I think when you get a dyno tune your gonna see even more fun down low!

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
post #6 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla8 View Post
That's one bad 5.0 you got there

Theres nothing like a supercharged 5.0 I remember picking up my 2011 GT after having a Kenne Bell blower installed.The acceleration was just wicked and it would just keep pulling like a freight train lol

Both Vortech and KB are local for me and I have nothing but good things to say about both.My friend had the first Vortech supercharged 5.0 and they did a lot of R&D with his car.

congrats and start saving up for some tires
Thanks! The Kenne Bell is nice too, but a little more than I was willing to spend and I'd be worried about all the torque grenading my driveline.. I like how the centri isn't there when you don't want it to be. I'll be getting some RTS's and M/T DOT slicks soon enough so I can really see what it's made of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
really it should be dyno tuned for best results, also you are seeing kinda the drawback on centris...lots of top end, not sure how useful that is for a daily...the twin screws make that great low end power that is so much fun , and top end...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona stang10 View Post
I think when you get a dyno tune your gonna see even more fun down low!
I think with a tune it will be exactly what I wanted, the vortech tune isn't as responsive as the diablosport was.. I'm just enjoying the whistles going WOOP WOOP lol, I'm almost never in the throttle during my daily commute so no regrets here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellasnake View Post
Damn 2Many, dont rain on his parade.
The weather for my 1 man parade is lovely lol .. I'm driving around with the windows open and the heat on just to hear it

Vortech v3si, homemade intake, Koni yellows, GT500 strut mounts and mufflers, BBK LCAs, Barton 2 post, MT Street Comp tires 255F 285R
1973 Mustang Mach 1- Fuel injected 351c, toploader 4 speed, 9" trac-lok, Hotrod Flatz OD green
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Congrats Spiral looks great. Nice write up!!!

15 F22 M235i, JB4 Stage II, Cat delete, CAI
12 GT Prem 5.0 (Sold)
post #8 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mann View Post
Congrats Spiral looks great. Nice write up!!!
Thank you!

Little update: Romped on it pretty good today, had it misfire twice up top (3rd + 4th at high RPMs) with proper AFR's in the high 11's. It threw a p300 code which is random/multiple misfire. I shut it down for the night in fear of blowing something up. One of my spark plugs looked a little worse than the others so I am going to try a plug change, and will be calling vortech tommorow to see what they suggest. I want to try clocking the MAF and see if it helps the surging/hesitation I have felt. I guess it's progress though lol..

Apprentice
S197 Member

Don't even listen to the knuckle draggersputting down your centri! You did good with the Vortech. Centris ultimately make more power. It is smoother. Torque down low does not help you go faster no matter what the troglodytes say. You will get plenty if you dyno tune. Gotta dyno tune. We should not even be having this conversation. Always dyno tune. Always. Good Luck. Be careful and Right On!

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 N/A 522 rwhp, 378rwt, Boss Intake Manifold, Comp Stage Two Cams, Livernois Ported Heads, Kooks Headers and X pipe, Wiseco Forged Pistons, Manley Rods, Polished / Balanced Forged Crank, Boss Valve Springs, Boss Oil Cooler, Boss Oil Pan, Cortex/JRI SA Coilovers, Boss 302 Springs, Boss 302r steering rack, Boss 302s front lower control arms, Cortex Watts Link, Cortex Torque Arm, Cortex Adjustable Lower Control Arm, MM K Member,MM Caster Camber Plates, Torsen T2r Differential,
post #10 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman View Post
Don't even listen to the knuckle draggersputting down your centri! You did good with the Vortech. Centris ultimately make more power. It is smoother. Torque down low does not help you go faster no matter what the troglodytes say. You will get plenty if you dyno tune. Gotta dyno tune. We should not even be having this conversation. Always dyno tune. Always. Good Luck. Be careful and Right On!
Thanks! No need for name calling lol.. I feel I made the right choice with the centri too, it does its job . I know a dyno tune will put a smile on my face, I just dont want to get it tuned if I'm having non-tune related issues.. no sense in doing it twice

Apprentice

I'm jealous! I'm am looking at yours and the procharger. Haven't decided yet, but I know I want a centri.
Apprentice

the vortech paxton kits on these cars are hands down, the best bang for the buck

nothing compares

i have more 10 / 9 second cars out there than just about all the other brands combined

Worlds Quickest Centrifugal Coyote - 8.75 @ 167
post #13 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydawg View Post
I'm jealous! I'm am looking at yours and the procharger. Haven't decided yet, but I know I want a centri.
Thanks Either kit is nice, I don't think you'd be dissapointed either way. The gentleman below (beefcake) knows alot about both setups, and sells the **** out of his very nice paxton kit (bigger head unit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefcake. View Post
the vortech paxton kits on these cars are hands down, the best bang for the buck

nothing compares

i have more 10 / 9 second cars out there than just about all the other brands combined
I haven't driven or been in a PD 5.0, but completely agree. I don't need any more low end torque, frying the tires in 3rd is a sign that I'm making enough lol. I have my reasons (pretty much your reasons) I chose the Vortech, but the Procharger's ease of install would have been nice. I'm very happy with my 2F above ambient temp IAT's.

Apprentice

Just a quick question for you. I'm beginning to research supercharges for our cars and I like what I see. I like the centri's better, but can you actually hear it when your driving? I used to own a supra and one of the things I loved about that car, other than the power, was the sound of the turbo spooling and the BOV, etc. Out of all of the videos I've watched of the vortech or procharger I can't ever hear them just the exhaust.

2013 Subaru WRX Premium | Nameless Catback | Cobb Intake and stage 1 tune

2013 GT Premium | Comfort package | Rear Sensing & Security Package | 19" Brushed Aluminum/Black Wheels | 6spd | Borla S-Type | BAMA Ghost cam tune | O/R X pipe | Airaid Intake (Sold)

1999 Mazda Miata | Hard Dog Hardcore Rollbar | Dual Borla Catback | Wilwood 4 Piston Front Brakes | Racing Beat Intake
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvancedSpecV View Post
Just a quick question for you. I'm beginning to research supercharges for our cars and I like what I see. I like the centri's better, but can you actually hear it when your driving? I used to own a supra and one of the things I loved about that car, other than the power, was the sound of the turbo spooling and the BOV, etc. Out of all of the videos I've watched of the vortech or procharger I can't ever hear them just the exhaust.
You can hear it trust me. The bov on this things sound crazy without the little filter.

2011 Musang GT 6MT. Ford Racing 4.10 gears, TA Rear End Girdle, Boss 302 intake manifold, O/R x pipe, Ford Racing K springs, upr pro-series lca/uca/mount NGK 6510 gap to 0.32, ID 1000 injectors, KB Boost a pump, Paxton novi2200sl w 3.6 inch pulley 10psi. tuned by lund racing. unknown power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page