Will LCA's & Relocation Brackets really help? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaman View Post
The reason your are losing traction is that the control arms are no longer "parallel" to the ground, to give the 5.0 the "forward" thrust. With the LCAs on an "upward" angle from back to front, on acceleration, it actually pushes the tires up and off the ground more at acceleration times, unless you get the bracket to make the LCA parallel to the ground again. There are threads on here that explain it better but here is a short graphic;

STOCK:

Front.......... Rear
.... LCA arm
+=======+ stock ride height,no adjustable height hole brackets (taller height from GROUND to LCA centers, but parallel to GROUND

~~~~~~~~ GROUND

LOWERED with NO BRACKET:

+===--___+ Front LCA connection is higher than rear LCA connection height, measured at center of connection point

~~~~~~~~ GROUND

LOWERED with BRACKET on rear

...............} (LCA 3 or 4 hole bracket, usually the "middle" hole to raise up the rear connection again)
+---------+ lowered, with bracket to lower the rear to even the LCA height to ground, making F+R same height at center

~~~~~~~~ GROUND (shorter ground height to LCA center, but same height from GROUND)

Best way to see if you are parallel to the ground so that acceleration pushes the rear wheels straight "forward" instead of slightly "up" or down is to measure from the ground to the center of the rear LCA front connection and rear connection. If it's not equal, or close, you will lose traction as it will push the wheels slightly "up" while going forward.
cudaman unless I am reading this wrong I think you might have explained it opposite. Yes LCA about parallel when stock. Stock or lowered the LCAs are compression components in for forward motion. When you lower the car the front of the LCA is then lower than the back of the LCA. Yes this would tend to pull the front of car down and try to force the back axles upward. With relocation brackets you can get the LCA parallel to the ground or even get the rear lca connection lower than the front connection. This will then essentially try to push the front of the car up and lift the front wheels off the ground if you have enough horsepower/torque and traction. And it will try to force the axles down and thus increase traction. But they say that if you lower the back of the lca connection down too far that it might cause other problems. Not sure what those problems are. I have not experimented yet. Maybe somebody can explain?

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDmustang13 View Post
cudaman unless I am reading this wrong I think you might have explained it opposite. Yes LCA about parallel when stock. Stock or lowered the LCAs are compression components in for forward motion. When you lower the car the front of the LCA is then lower than the back of the LCA. Yes this would tend to pull the front of car down and try to force the back axles upward. With relocation brackets you can get the LCA parallel to the ground or even get the rear lca connection lower than the front connection. This will then essentially try to push the front of the car up and lift the front wheels off the ground if you have enough horsepower/torque and traction. And it will try to force the axles down and thus increase traction. But they say that if you lower the back of the lca connection down too far that it might cause other problems. Not sure what those problems are. I have not experimented yet. Maybe somebody can explain?
Ya, you are right, I may have that backwards. The front may be lower versus the rear. Sorry about that ... Automotive dyslexia. Still need the lowering brackets to bring it back parallel. The lowering springs/coilovers would make it lower in FRONT not REAR like my drawing. Still best to just go outside and measure the LCA centers to see how parallel they are to the ground. If not close, some adjustments will help the traction/plowing...... suspension shops will explain better than my cheesy diagrams.

Correction:

LOWERED, no brackets in rear

Front ........ Rear

+__ =====+

.................... GROUND

MACH I Member
S197 Member

I have a 1.5"f and 1"r drop and have mine in the lowest hole on the brackett with no adverse handling effects.

YMMV..

In theory, if you have too aggressive of an angle the vehicle will devolop a "snap oversteer" characteristic.

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page