"Tuner" companys... Tune before flash or after?? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

"Tuner" companys... Tune before flash or after??

Ok my car when cold is a pain to drive. Same thing goes for a few minutes even when warm.

Example:

Cold start the throttle is very uncontrollable. I will press the throttle down and it will lunge forward. So I will ease back on the throttle caue I am not trying to launch the car. But then I hit a spot and the car says "ok, no throttle". So now I have to try to gently easy into the throttle again...same story every time.

2nd Example:

Car will be completely warm. I will drive to a store park the car Maybe 5 min... Come out and start the car take off and the herky jerky is still there.

So I told my dealer my car is nothing like the car I test drove and they have a flash for it. LOL

So here is my questiom:

Do I get the flash or do I just go to Bama, Steeda, Breen Speed, Lund,...ETC ETC ETC and get a tune from an after market tuner First??

Sorry for the long post just trying to lay everything out so I can have a clear question.

Thanks in advance!!!

CJ

2013 GT Track Pack, Race Red, Recaro Seats, Hand Shaker, 13gt500 axle back and front bumper,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Garage
Get the flash done first so they cant blame it on the tune.
Bob

67 mustang - Sold
67 Gt Cougar -Sold
69 Mach ! - Sold
84 Mustang L 5.0L- Totaled
84 Mustang GT 5.0L
07 GT convertible
97 F-350 Powerstroke
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013
Apprentice

I have a really jerky throttle when the car isn't warmed up. You would bring the car up to 2000rpm and if you tried to hold it there the car would jerk violently as if you were jab the peddle repeatedly. I posted about it awhile ago and a lot of people have the same issue but I noticed it goes away if you let the car warm up before driving.

2014 GT MT, Track Package, Recaros
Magnaflow Competition Catback, Barton STS w/ 2-Post Bracket, Eibach Multi-Pro-R1 Coilovers, UPR Race Panhard Bar & Brace, SCT Livewire BAMA Tuned, Steeda Ultimate Adjustable Sway Bar Kit, BMR LCA's w/ Spherical Bushings & Relocation Brackets, BMR UCA Mount

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Something ain"t right,take it into the dealer and have it flashed,mine runs GREAT warm or cold,my dealer did all of the updates early 2011 GT.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the replies guys.

Im posting to see if updates will help of if I should simply tune it. I have no doubt something is not right. Just dont want Ferd to dumb it down to "fix" my issue. Went through an ecoboost thing with them... LOL

CJ

2013 GT Track Pack, Race Red, Recaro Seats, Hand Shaker, 13gt500 axle back and front bumper,

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

My 2011 GT ran MUCH better after Ford got done with the updates,seemed to have more even power band,+++ you keep your warranty.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

What updates are you exactly talking about 5.0 Coyote? Just flashing? I have the same issues and my car is tuned but not flashed by ford.. Actually I have a few of the 11' issues - clunky and sometimes notchy shifts, cold start issues and oil consumption (the last one is getting better with time though).

2011 GT - Premium, 3.73, Brembo.

Performance Mods:

Borla Cat-Back, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuned, Jlt Catch-Can, 55D Rear Springs, J&M LCA's.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

If you are having problems stock you should troubleshoot them and find the cause before doing any mods... you don't want to do mods unless it is running right, it may or may not fix the problem and may make it more difficult to address.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013
Site Sponsor

This is a great point ^^^. You should always wait until you have a mechanically sound car before modifying it. Otherwise, you'll be chasing your tail looking for any issues!

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks guys thats what I was looking for. I was just wondering if its just stock tune issues and the cure was after market tunes.

I meant 'flash" update. For the updates.

Then in that case I will schedule a date with the service man here.

Thanks everyone for the input.

CJ

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Purposebuiltgt-

I will let you know what happends after I get the flash done... or whatever Ford does to the car.

CJ

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red13 View Post
Thanks guys thats what I was looking for. I was just wondering if its just stock tune issues and the cure was after market tunes.

CJ
It is possible there is a problem with the stock tune, but in all honesty I doubt it, I would be looking for a mechanical issue like a vacuum leak or sensor issue, etc.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
Apprentice

Quote:
Purposebuiltgt-

I will let you know what happends after I get the flash done... or whatever Ford does to the car.

CJ
Thanks, I am curious since my car is a 2014 and should have the latest software update.

2014 GT MT, Track Package, Recaros
Magnaflow Competition Catback, Barton STS w/ 2-Post Bracket, Eibach Multi-Pro-R1 Coilovers, UPR Race Panhard Bar & Brace, SCT Livewire BAMA Tuned, Steeda Ultimate Adjustable Sway Bar Kit, BMR LCA's w/ Spherical Bushings & Relocation Brackets, BMR UCA Mount
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Racin366-

Yes my car to me is too new with only 3k miles for it to have mechanical issues. It has done this since day one. I just was thinking the car was learning, bad gas, etc etc... Must have a tard LOL

CJ

Site Sponsor

Quote:

CJ
Sounds good CJ! Definitely keep us updated after you get back from the Dealership. I have a feeling there's a few PCM updates your missing, that's all. Regardless, better safe than sorry as far as mechanical issues go.

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page