Oil pressure: what's normal for Coyote engine - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By XRacer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Oil pressure: what's normal for Coyote engine

I have a 2013 Mustang GT with track package. Also, I have the LS Ford racing gauges installed in the vehicle.

At idle the oil pressure read 80 psi:

(In this picture the engine temp is just under 160 degrees F. However, at normal temp which is 190 to 200 the oil gauges does the same thing.)

In this picture I have the rpms at 5000 and the oil pressure gauge is around 100 psi.

Last race event I didn't notice the oil pressure changing. I noticed this recently. So, my technical question is: what is the normal operating oil pressure range of the coyote engine?

Thank you in advance

(Also, you wont find this in the owners manual as i have gone through the whole thing twice.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Okay, still don't know the oil pressure operating range. However, I feel more comfortable about racing this weekend after taken the car for a drive.

The track pack comes with 5W50 oil compared to the non track package Mustangs that come with 5W20. Since this oil is thicker it takes more time to warm up to be more viscous.

Here's what I saw today: After driving the in 97 F and getting the car warmed up it held pretty steady at around 80 psi through out the rpms. Engine temp was 200 F. However, I took it up to 80 mph in 4th gear and it got to 90 psi (I was in a 70 mph zone with no traffic). After that the oil pressure for the rest of the drive held around 78 psi through out the rpms. Once stopped and idling the oil pressure was 30 psi.

The other day I had a leak from the oil sensor. After having that fixed is when I noticed the higher pressure. So, i don't know if the PCM just needed some miles on it after the fix to read the oil sensor right. It was 95 degrees the other day when I had the leak fixed and the engine temp was 200 F, so it couldn't have been the oil not being viscous enough.

After this weekend I will bring it to the dealer for an oil change and ask them all to look at the sensor.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013
Apprentice

Oil pressure at idle (engine at normal operating temperature) 69 kPa (10 psi)-103 kPa (15 psi) Oil pressure at 2,000 rpm (engine at normal operating temperature) 207 kPa (30 psi)-276 kPa (40 psi)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32V Stang View Post
Oil pressure at idle (engine at normal operating temperature) 69 kPa (10 psi)-103 kPa (15 psi) Oil pressure at 2,000 rpm (engine at normal operating temperature) 207 kPa (30 psi)-276 kPa (40 psi)
Is this for 5w20 oil or 5w50 oil? The 5w50 is thicker and will cause higher pressures than the 5w20. I realize higher pressure doesn't mean better lubrication. However, from my Internet research the Boss and the track package cars come with 5w50 because Ford believes these cars are going to be tracked. If your not tracking you car, with a track package, 5w20 will be fine and better for DD. also, do you have a link to the information you have?

Edit: to add

I think I will get the oil changed tomorrow and see what changes.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Update:

Just got back from the dealership. The service rep. said this was normal for the track package Mustangs. He said the thicker oil causes higher pressure. I had the oil changed and the pressures remained the same.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013
Apprentice

hmm i checked the workshop manual it doesn't specify either way 5w20 or 5w50
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

From research I have been doing the factory Boss Mustang PCV system increases engine pressure. I don't know if that is true for the Mustang w/ track package. I know that there are a few parts that were put on the track package from the Boss. Such as the Boss radiator and oil cooler.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32V Stang View Post
Sounds about right as this pressure will increases even more with higher RPM. ( notice mine getting up around 60 pounds or so at operating temp when RPM climbs) Im presently still using 5w-20 factory oil.
As has been said here, high oil pressure does not necessarily mean better lubrication. Volume is much more critical in my opinion. When In my drag car days, I always tried to get a good high volume oil pump to keep the oil moving through the rod bearings quickly to help take the heat away.
Since Ive installed an oil pressure gauge on my GT and been able to monitor the pressure Ive been more than pleased with the pressure of the stock pump.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014
Apprentice

Thanks for this post. I was seeing the same sorts of pressures with my track pack 14 when I installed an oil pressurge gauge and was kind of freaked out with the high pressures.

I drove myself batty trying to find out what I did wrong with the gauge install or thinking I had a bad sender or gauge. After checking, rechecking, bench testing in every way possible and finding nothing wrong, I hooked up a manual test gauge and confirmed the e-gauge was good.

I'll also checked with another gauged up BOSS owner today and confirmed the same "symptoms" with his car. I feel a lot better now and can hit the track this Saturday in confidence. Part of the reason I added the gauge was to know if it would lose pressure in a high G environment. I'm certainly less worried about that now.

Could have stuck with the "idiot" light. If the shoe fits...

Last edited by El_Tortuga; 05-21-2014 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling
BOSS Member
S197 Member

OP. I have Ford Racing gauges. Im running 5w30 oil on a fresh motor with less than 5000 miles. Once the engine ( and oil) are at operating temperature, I get around 25 pounds at idle and 50-60 so at high rpm. Im sure your pressures are higher because of the thicker 50 weight oil.
When I was building drag car engines we didn't concern ourselves with achieving high pressures. Volume, was much more important. And Im sure the volume of the stock pump is more than adequate for street applications.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
GT Member

I recorded amsoil 5w50 at 40-45 idle and 88-92 at around 2750rpms.

Amsoil 10w30 at 30-35 at idle and 75-80 at around 2750rpms.

So if motorcraft 5w50 is reading 80 psi then its shearing down alot. Its not even 5w50 any more.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
PONY Member

I installed an Autometer oil pressure gauge about a year ago on my '14 GT. I normally run 5w30 Mobil 1 full syn. The pressures I get at normal engine temps are 26 psi. at idle [ 750 rpm ] , 80 psi. at 2,200 rpm which is a typical interstate speed and 100 psi above 4,000 rpm. Idle pressure on a cold start is quite a bit higher, near 100 psi. no doubt the oil pressure bypass valve is opened up pretty good then. Boss 302's and track pack engines come with a oil to water cooler and call for 5w50 oil. The oil to water cooler also acts as an oil warmer when the engine is cold since the water temps will come up faster than the oil temps will. This is helpful given the relatively thick oil used in these engines. Still the cold flow rate is a 5 regardless if your using 5w20 or 5w50. Some people have reported overheating when using oil to water coolers as opposed to a true race type oil to air cooler when doing serious track days or racing. This is in spite of having two quarts greater radiator capacity on these cars. One final observation, older pushrod engines from Ford, GM and Chrysler all drove the oil pump from the camshaft drive which caused them to run at one half crankshaft speed. The Coyote engines drive the oil pump directly off the crankshaft causing the pump to run at the same rpm as the crankshaft. In so far as I know both GM's LS series engines and Chrysler's 3 rd. gen Hemis are driven off the crankshaft too. IMO this combined with the relatively thin oils used in modern engines is why we see such a wide spread in oil pressure from idle to red line compared to what we saw in older pushrod engines.
moonrakercat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page