PONY Member

double post

2013 gt premium m6 3.73 with lots of aftermarket bits

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3RM1N8R View Post
I really dont know what to tell you. He showed me their technical service hand book provided by Ford for that engine and it stated that using 5w30 oil in this engine is advantageous. I dont know if it was some kind of error or typo, but i dont see any reason for that to be the case. Running 5w20 certainly cant do any harm nor is it much different. If anything, according to my theory 5w20 would be a better choice because its not as thick.
Supposedly the 5-20 is used here in the states due to cafe standards. I have done no research on this, but others state that in different countries the recommendation is 5-30. Using 5-30 will drop 1-2mpg per gallon apparently. I use 5-20 full synthetic but bring my own FRPP filter in and have them use that when they change the oil. It's a bit larger but fits just fine, is better made, collects more particulate, and because of its size it flows better. No tick so far. But I imagine that once the tick appears, there's not much to be done to get rid of it.

Rookie

Does anyone have any advice to get the dealer to address the issue with ford and not get blown off?

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey73 View Post
Does anyone have any advice to get the dealer to address the issue with ford and not get blown off?
I just found out today the dealer is ordering a new long block for me.

My advice is first to document the noise on video. I have two or three good videos documenting the noise. I have 40 or so failed attempts. The second is to try to find a dealership you know have dealt with it before. I am lucky in that the dealership to which I took my car dealt three years ago with a fellow who is no longer active on this forum and his oil change tick. A friend or acquaintance of his saw a thread I posted when this started in July and alerted me. Then I was fortunate enough to have the guy see my PM after a while.

Then perseverance is absolutely necessary. My friends will tell you I drove them absolutely nuts with my worry that something has been developing going wrong in my car. Every single time I got the car serviced I asked the dealer if the noise it was making was normal--I posted a thread earlier in which I took a video of the car around idle, in which you can hear it had quite a tick-ey idle, even without the oil change tick. The dealer that I bring my car to normally has been saying it is normal--injector noise--for months. My friends have been saying 'normal wear and tear' on the last thread I posted, Choate insisted the car sounded normal, and, despite my insistence that the reason I posted the video I did, is that the camera audio matched exactly what the human ear would hear, that it sounds just like his car and nothing to worry about.

The dealer ordered a new long block for me because they found a lot of metal debris in the engine--this despite the oil had 6 miles on it. I have no idea how that happened unless there was sludge buildup, which itself is unnerving considering like most of us here, I take obsessive care of my car, and do not drive it like I stole it. The dealer I took it to initially said they thought there was a problem with the timing chain--this is their head tech, and ostensibly the guides were worn or out of spec--and two days later told me changing the oil made it much better. I drove 2 hours to pick it up and asked the service writer if it would sound like a bowl of rice crispies, and he said they test drove it and it sounded fine--the ticking is characteristic of the vehicle. I drove 4 miles and the engine greeted me with the terrible oil change tick noise. I brought it back, demonstrated the noise that "[the other fellow] demonstrated hundreds of times each time they tried to fix it." The shop foreman said that it sounded fine to him, and it was up to the service writer, who finally sided with me. This is the story. The nut of it is don't give up and document all that you can.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013GTBBQ View Post
I just found out today the dealer is ordering a new long block for me.

My advice is first to document the noise on video. I have two or three good videos documenting the noise. I have 40 or so failed attempts. The second is to try to find a dealership you know have dealt with it before. I am lucky in that the dealership to which I took my car dealt three years ago with a fellow who is no longer active on this forum and his oil change tick. A friend or acquaintance of his saw a thread I posted when this started in July and alerted me. Then I was fortunate enough to have the guy see my PM after a while.

Then perseverance is absolutely necessary. My friends will tell you I drove them absolutely nuts with my worry that something has been developing going wrong in my car. Every single time I got the car serviced I asked the dealer if the noise it was making was normal--I posted a thread earlier in which I took a video of the car around idle, in which you can hear it had quite a tick-ey idle, even without the oil change tick. The dealer that I bring my car to normally has been saying it is normal--injector noise--for months. My friends have been saying 'normal wear and tear' on the last thread I posted, Choate insisted the car sounded normal, and, despite my insistence that the reason I posted the video I did, is that the camera audio matched exactly what the human ear would hear, that it sounds just like his car and nothing to worry about.

The dealer ordered a new long block for me because they found a lot of metal debris in the engine--this despite the oil had 6 miles on it. I have no idea how that happened unless there was sludge buildup, which itself is unnerving considering like most of us here, I take obsessive care of my car, and do not drive it like I stole it. The dealer I took it to initially said they thought there was a problem with the timing chain--this is their head tech, and ostensibly the guides were worn or out of spec--and two days later told me changing the oil made it much better. I drove 2 hours to pick it up and asked the service writer if it would sound like a bowl of rice crispies, and he said they test drove it and it sounded fine--the ticking is characteristic of the vehicle. I drove 4 miles and the engine greeted me with the terrible oil change tick noise. I brought it back, demonstrated the noise that "[the other fellow] demonstrated hundreds of times each time they tried to fix it." The shop foreman said that it sounded fine to him, and it was up to the service writer, who finally sided with me. This is the story. The nut of it is don't give up and document all that you can.
New tick on new motor. You probably need another long block

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
PONY Member

I have had that tick since my first oil change. Seems like an engine replacement is the solution. I bought new and only have a little over 13,000 miles. Seems a shame to have to replace the engine but I guess that is the solution. Thanks for the updates and finally a documented solution to this. Glad to hear Ford is stepping up on this issue. Hoping I get a loaner while they do the replacement. How long should it take?

Just hoping it doesn't happen to the new engine also. Will it have the same warranty?
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by choate View Post
New tick on new motor. You probably need another long block
You're not the only one who said it's normal, don't feel badly. Also your car is fine, no need for you to worry. It took the shop a week tearing apart my engine to decide. All I asked was a diagnosis and a fix.

If I get it again, I'd have to trade it in. I'll rep a Honda Accord for the rest of my life. I'll also get a gypsy to put a hex on you. I ask every person I see with a 5.0 if they had anything like that. None. So I'll chalk it up to being struck by lightning twice.

Rogan, it seems like some people get pictures of damage and some don't see a problem. I think the guy at the dealership before me they couldn't find anything. It worries me though. If my engine started ticking like this from the very beginning and I never realized it.

Also I don't think I get a new warranty on this motor. I will definitely ask, because by the time I break it in my original powertrain warranty will be expired.
PONY Member

Definitely ask about the warranty. It should hopefully be the same as the original. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan01 View Post
Definitely ask about the warranty. It should hopefully be the same as the original. Good luck and please keep us posted.
I can't imagine them giving me an engine warranty until 120,000 miles but I really hope I get the 2 year/24000 miles warranty that comes with their crate motors. It would elate. I will let you know. Good luck on your side as well. I am still going to try to get pictures from them, because I'd really like to know what they found. I have no doubt they did not order an engine needlessly. After all before I demonstrated the oil change tick, literally 15 minutes before I brought the car back to the dealership, they said, 'the new oil makes it sound much better, any noise is characteristic of the vehicle. It's fine.'
PONY Member

Yes, I think I would be happy with a new engine and a 2/24 warranty. I hope that they can provide some kind of explanation also and finally get to the bottom of this. Thank you.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan01 View Post
Yes, I think I would be happy with a new engine and a 2/24 warranty. I hope that they can provide some kind of explanation also and finally get to the bottom of this. Thank you.
I forgot to ask about the warranty when I called them. I'll do so when I pick it up next week. A 2 year/24000 mile warranty would be absolutely awesome. I can say that with the way this went I will definitely consider getting a GT350 when (if) I can afford it. With an extended warranty, however. This was cutting it way too close. Above all I am incredibly grateful I never succumbed to temptation to modify it.

I will also ask if it had sludge buildup. They said there was no sign of oil starvation, however, and they were as stumped as I am.

I called them to ask about pictures. They said they already reassembled the old engine, put it on the crate the new engine brought, and shipped it to Detroit. They said Ford was interested in finding out what caused the problems, but I don't think I will know. I hope it helps Ford discover something to prevent this.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013GTBBQ View Post
I forgot to ask about the warranty when I called them. I'll do so when I pick it up next week. A 2 year/24000 mile warranty would be absolutely awesome. I can say that with the way this went I will definitely consider getting a GT350 when (if) I can afford it. With an extended warranty, however. This was cutting it way too close. Above all I am incredibly grateful I never succumbed to temptation to modify it.

I will also ask if it had sludge buildup. They said there was no sign of oil starvation, however, and they were as stumped as I am.

I called them to ask about pictures. They said they already reassembled the old engine, put it on the crate the new engine brought, and shipped it to Detroit. They said Ford was interested in finding out what caused the problems, but I don't think I will know. I hope it helps Ford discover something to prevent this.
I am going to say I know nothing about the motor but IMO they let you have a new motor b/c they could not identify or make the ticking stop. If you raise a fuss (your user name is 2013BBQtick so that says something about how upset you were about it) and keep at it as you mention, you can get things approved you may not thought possible (ie a new long block). Since they didn't find any damage, I stand by my internet diagnosis of "normal'. May you have the best of luck and no issues with the new engine. Then you can change your user name

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by choate View Post
I am going to say I know nothing about the motor
Think about a UOA. Measures contaminants and wear materials in the parts per million. They said they found lots of metal debris and shavings. Why should they waste their time finding more if it's enough to condemn the engine and let Ford do it? Either way. Thanks for the well wishes Choate. You're a good sport...
Rookie

Purchased my 13 last July and I just had my first oil change done (at least first for me at 15000miles) at a local Ford Dealer. After reading this thread and worrying about it, the car came back with no tick. What a relief...thanks for all the info.

2013 GT Premium *MBRP Black Series Catback Exhaust*Forgestar CF5 18"*Eibach Sportline*Falken Azenis RT-615K Tires*Stallion Adjustable Pandhard Bar
Apprentice

Got my car back today. Much better. Not only does it sound normal again, but the car actually drives better. This seems in keeping with what others have said. I didn't go WOT on the 80 mile drive home but I did vary speed constantly and do my best to facilitate 300 miles of break in. Traffic helped me in that regard.

As for the old engine, I talked to the service writer and he went over their diagnostics with me:

-Car made noise with or without serpentine belt (obviously)
-Car made noise no matter which cylinders they turned off
-There were enough metal shavings in the oil to make it 'glitter'
-There were metal shavings in the oil pan and oil pickup
-There were metal shavings in the oil filter
-There was scoring on the cylinder walls
-The engine failed their oil pressure tests
-There was scoring on cam towers in the heads

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page