Finally, We Will Be Receiving Info From Ford As Far As Piston Cooling Jets Install - Page 5 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Accept the fact,we will NEVER know the truth,no matter how many threads we beat to death, and Ford will never tell us the truth,bottom line drive your Mustang and enjoy it, isn"t that what"s it all about.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushmore View Post
I remember seeing a post several years ago where someone had a 4.6 that the assembly line forgot to add a oil drain plug. So it's entirely possible that if something as simple as a drain plug could be forgotten and made it past QC I can certainly see how a batch of engines with no oil squirters is entirely possible. Who knows, maybe the line was making blocks without squirters for the Boss and when they switched back to the GT 5.0 they forgot to add them.
I doubt that Slagburn's engine is a one off mis-build. I think it is one of a production run of many, many engines that had the POCJ's blocked off. What is Ford's explanation of that?

post #63 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Reilly View Post
Well here we go guys, the engineer that I spoke to twice on the phone (he just got back to me about 20 min ago), stated that Ford's official position on this matter is that all 2013-2014-MY Mustang GT's do indeed have P.O.C.J.

Sean
Thanks for the update, Sean. Next time you speak with him please ask if that is their "official position" with regard to the late MY2012 builds. If not then why were they taken out to only be put in again.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post
I doubt that Slagburn's engine is a one off mis-build. I think it is one of a production run of many, many engines that had the POCJ's blocked off. What is Ford's explanation of that?
Slagburn, by definition, is one of the 10%, then .... since 90% have them. I guess it all boils down to Clint Eastwood in "Dirty Harry" at times like this.....

"The question you have to ask yourself is..... Do I feel lucky?"

"Well, do ya punk?"

To prove anything, you need statistics that forum members just can't produce reliably. Only Ford makes the engines and has the numbers. If they don't tell the numbers (aside from 90% mentioned earlier), no reliable way can be made to measure where that 10% is "located" in the build stream. Perhaps Edward Snowden the PRISM security breach blabber-guy has a brother that works in the auto industry or Ford somewhere that can sneak out the info. Slagburn can give him asylum for 4 weeks, and then he can shift to another forum members house every 4 weeks so he's not "accidentally" run over someday at the ice cream truck by a Chevy Camaro rented by a Ford manufacturing engineering manager. Would be a total accident..... Uhuh... ya.....
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaman View Post
Slagburn, by definition, is one of the 10%, then .... since 90% have them. I guess it all boils down to Clint Eastwood in "Dirty Harry" at times like this.....

"The question you have to ask yourself is..... Do I feel lucky?"

"Well, do ya punk?"

To prove anything, you need statistics that forum members just can't produce reliably. Only Ford makes the engines and has the numbers. If they don't tell the numbers (aside from 90% mentioned earlier), no reliable way can be made to measure where that 10% is "located" in the build stream. Perhaps Edward Snowden the PRISM security breach blabber-guy has a brother that works in the auto industry or Ford somewhere that can sneak out the info. Slagburn can give him asylum for 4 weeks, and then he can shift to another forum members house every 4 weeks so he's not "accidentally" run over someday at the ice cream truck by a Chevy Camaro rented by a Ford manufacturing engineering manager. Would be a total accident..... Uhuh... ya.....

Haha, good one. I can't explain it either. Let me give a little background on our parts system. It's called VBOM, which I suppose is vehicle bill of materials. So say I'm working on a transmission out of an F-150. I give the parts guys the VIN and regardless of all possible options and variations in that year of production, VBOM tells the parts guy what exact part that transmission had from the production line. It is almost never wrong, I might be the victim of a cataloging error once every 18 months.

This is the same system we used today to find out which 6K868's were installed in my engine, squirters or plugs. Normally I would call this system far more reliable than talking to people at Ford. But it was wrong.

Ultimately it doesn't matter. If a squirter does vibrate enough to break off, it's not going to hurt the engine. The engines have been proven relatively durable with or without squirters. So it's really not worth getting worked up over.

The mystery to me is how these obscure parts ended up being the source of so much misinformation from Ford and why even VBOM can't seem to keep track of them.
PONY Member

I just want to know what I should request/demand. I'm promised a new long block from Ford -- Do I want squirters or plugs? Or should I not care and get on with life?

I would normally do the latter...but this will be my THIRD engine, and I don't want a fourth.

2012 GT Yellow Blaze MT 3.73 * Steeda CAI & 91 Tune * Koni Yellows * Steeda Sports * BMR Adj. Panhard Bar, UCA, LCA's & Brackets * Barton Shifter & Bracket * Ford Brake Duct Cooling Kit * Steeda Brakes * Hypersilver Eurotek O2 19x9.5's * 275/40ZR19 Michelin PSS's * Ford Racing Touring Mufflers * GT/CS Front Valance * Boss Splitter * Blackout Fogs, Deck Lid & MMD Tail Light Trim * GT500 Rear Diffuser & Splash Guards * Infinity Ref. Fr. Speakers * Custom Faux Gas Cap * Redline Hood Struts *.
post #67 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013 Thread Starter
Banned

I doubt they will be able to give you that choice and it sounds like the odds are leaning heavily towards the squirters.

What was going on with the first two?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #68 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post
I doubt they will be able to give you that choice and it sounds like the odds are leaning heavily towards the squirters.

What was going on with the first two?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Pac-man, never mind my question. I just read about your issues in another post.
PONY Member

Curious as to any commonality between the situation and conditions/builds that may cause the igniter tick issue and whether it's even squirter (POCJ) related. Since no definitive answer seems to be immediately "at hand", perhaps some weak statistics kept online will help reduce the question as to whether someone is part of the "10%" or "90%" from earlier posts in the thread. No guarantees, of course, but at least some commonality might show up.

If folks get a tick perhaps a thread or this thread could be used to check probability of getting a tick, over time, and larger numbers, and conditions that may-or-may-not be evident in the tick's appearance... This would take time though.

If enough folks with ticks putting in their build date may at least start hammering out some sort of statistical (weak stats though) probability of garnering:

1. The build date showing year/month
2. The mileage
3. Conditions which may have triggered the tick (oil change) if any
4. Differences in oil used + any "additives" (weights, synthetic, regular oil, additive-type)
5. Hard driver/ daily driver
6. Weather conditions in your area
7. Engines mods (if any), tune, etc. (could be a yes/no answer)

Over time perhaps some "commonality" will emerge from these igniter tick threads that are peppered everywhere. At first, an oil additive got rid of the tick, but nobody mentioned what that secret oil additive was.... Without the additive, the tick came back. Build changes, squirters, no-squirters, it's all a mystery. I just thank my lucky stars I have a 2012 (11/2011 build) that so far, runs awesome. Wondering where all these others that get ticking are popping up from. Totally stock engine cars would carry more "weight" in the matter since they won't have extraneous changes done that could skew the stats. Just an idea. Beats flipping a coin, or prayer, or calling a witchdoctor or palm reader.....
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slagburn View Post
Haha, good one. I can't explain it either. Let me give a little background on our parts system. It's called VBOM, which I suppose is vehicle bill of materials. So say I'm working on a transmission out of an F-150. I give the parts guys the VIN and regardless of all possible options and variations in that year of production, VBOM tells the parts guy what exact part that transmission had from the production line. It is almost never wrong, I might be the victim of a cataloging error once every 18 months.

This is the same system we used today to find out which 6K868's were installed in my engine, squirters or plugs. Normally I would call this system far more reliable than talking to people at Ford. But it was wrong.
So, from your comment, I am reading that it (VBOM) said you should have "squirters," but the engine was built with plugs. Is that correct?

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
BOSS Member

Garage
I know for a fact that the squirters make my transmission shift better.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #72 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
So, from your comment, I am reading that it (VBOM) said you should have "squirters," but the engine was built with plugs. Is that correct?
That is correct. Slagburn's engine has plugs. So much for Ford's "official position" that all 2013-2014 MY engines have squirters.

Still awaiting their "official position" on the late 2012 MY builds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page