HELP EXPLAIN clutch problem!! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Unhappy HELP EXPLAIN clutch problem!!

Came on to the freeway coming home from doing some "hard driving" and my clutch stuck in the down position... I coasted for a little way and hooked my toe under it and pulled it... did some more driving and it didn't stick again.... What happened?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013
Apprentice

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

The clutch pedal is spring assisted under stress wot has a tendency to bind. U can remove the spring clutch is about 15 % harder. Search for instructions no bigee

2013 Mustang GT Deep Impact Blue
Flowmaster american thunder cat back MGW shifter, LCA, CAI, AED tune, 3.73 gears, Focal Speakers, Craigs License Plate Bracket
TSW Nurburgring Wheels, Mickey Thompson Street Comps Staggered
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013
GT Member

Its a characteristic of the stock clutch not being able to handle high rpm shifts consistently. There are ways to minimize this but an upgraded clutch replacement completely solves the problem.

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

hey thanks guys found some you tube info.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013
Apprentice
S197 Member

I have a 2013 GT Prem that did the same thing. Build date 1/21/2013.

My clutch pedal assembly had 2 springs a return spring on the brake and the helper spring on the clutch. I did not have a return spring on the clutch.

This is IMO the most annoying thing about this car.

I removed the helper spring, better but still stuck to the floor with spirited driving.

I installed the high flow high pressure clutch line. Better but still did it.

I wanted the return spring I bought a new pedal assy to get this.

DR3Z2455A is the GT500 pedal assy. Perfect fit. It had the helper and return spring a 3 spring assy.

Installed, bleed the system. I used a vacuum to help bleed the system.

My clutch problem is gone and the clutch feels and acts perfect now. Three hard pulls through the gears and no issue at all.

Find a way to bleed the clutch system with a vacuum before you do anything else. It says its self bleeding but it's not completely. After bleeding the clutch was much more stable. It would get soft after it sat undriven for a day. It's firm every time now. The return spring was not that strong but it does help.

Based on what I've done the problem occurs because the return pressure on the clutch drops below the pressure of the helper spring leaving the helper spring dominate until the rotating mass slows and the pressure returns.

Ford knows there is an issue, there have been over a dozen pedal part number changes in 3 years.

I don't know the part number for the 2 return spring non helper spring version. I got the 3 spring version and took off the helper spring. I have two helper springs now if anyone wants one! Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[B]2013 Mustang GT Premium 5.0 [COLOR="DimGray"]Sterling Grey[/COLOR][/B] 6MT 3.31
35% Tint, MGW Shifter, JHR Hectic Motorsports High Flow Clutch Line, Borla S-Type Cat-back, Airaid Race CAI, Bama 93H Tune, Roush Chin Splitter, GT500 Style Spoiler, GT500 Pedal Assy, Ford Racing M-FR3A-MGTAA Suspension, 5W-20 Royal Purple API, High Performance Key Fob Battery.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Good info racer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page