Direct Injection Thoughts - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Direct Injection Thoughts

So everyone including ford is saying that the 5.0 coyote has been set to receive direct injection in its future... who knows when... when the time does come how hard would it be to mod, finagle, rig, glue, or weld the system on to our cars? Would it be a head, ecu, injector, fuel rail swap? Anyone else have these same thoughts?:?:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013
Banned
4.6L Member

I dunno man, to me these "great improvements" seldom are good for hot rodding...
My tuner is taking off the fuel saving tech on new Camaros and getting big hp gains

My next project will clearly be an LS based car..so much cheaper to build, the parts are readily available and make great hp

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013
PONY Member

That's almost always been the case though. That's why so manny budget street/strip cars use a Chevy power plant. Parts for Chevy's are just cheaper, older ones at least... I'm not sure if it would push me into buying a Chevy car but I would drop a Chevy motor in a street/strip car any day.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013
PONY Member

Direct injection is a nightmare overall. Dirty valves, expensive injectors IF a company even decides to make injectors at all (cost of manufacturing vs market demand doesn't stack up) and unless you can get HUGE hp gains from switching over, I highly doubt that it would be justifiable for the cost.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013
Seadog

DI has great promise, but at much more cost at this time. I think the real key is the development of laser based ignition. It allows the possibility to run an ultra-lean gas/air mix.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013
PONY Member

DI is proven to make more power, but there are downfalls to it for now. Look at all the issues BMW is having with HPFP's and like others have said the dirty valve issues BMW, VW and Audi are having.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I believe the forums have educated me more than my entire high school years....... sad
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedub21 View Post
DI is proven to make more power, but there are downfalls to it for now. Look at all the issues BMW is having with HPFP's and like others have said the dirty valve issues BMW, VW and Audi are having.
THIS.....

I had a Mazdaspeed 3....if ford goes to di I'll be keeping my 12 for a long time

2015 Gt with perf pack/Guard Green/MBRP race exhaust/Steeda shifter bracket/ ....... more to come

Originally Posted by cudaman ........
Let's hope you don't have the same problem with your zipper and your fueling rod, should you run into another female in a Camaro that needs genetic gas.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfsmith View Post
So everyone including ford is saying that the 5.0 coyote has been set to receive direct injection in its future... who knows when... when the time does come how hard would it be to mod, finagle, rig, glue, or weld the system on to our cars? Would it be a head, ecu, injector, fuel rail swap? Anyone else have these same thoughts?:?:

The heads, pistons, pcm, injectors(of course) and fuel system are all different and would have to be changed over to add it to the current motor.

Would absolutely not be worth the cost to do it.

GT Member
S197 Member

I don't like DI. But we really have no choice on the matter. I just hope that ford does not stick it on the coyote.

2011 Musang GT 6MT. Ford Racing 4.10 gears, TA Rear End Girdle, Boss 302 intake manifold, O/R x pipe, Ford Racing K springs, upr pro-series lca/uca/mount NGK 6510 gap to 0.32, ID 1000 injectors, KB Boost a pump, Paxton novi2200sl w 3.6 inch pulley 10psi. tuned by lund racing. unknown power.
GT Member

it was built for DI and we'll be getting it. It's the only way to continue to meet mileage and emissions standards on this motor going forward. Di isn't really new, it's been around since 1902.

It's got issues but, benefits too. Tuning DI is totally different than tuning PI. Start applying PI think to a DI application and you'll have a toasted motor in no time.

Big issue with larger engines and DI is the amount of head pressure you need, plus the volume of fuel. An engine of this size will be looking at 3000 psi of head pressure and designing and engine driven pump that can give that pressure + provide the volume to feed 5.0 of engine is something tough. Pressure and volume are inverse so, you get pressure by giving up volume, same as when you stick your thumb in the end of the garden hose.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Rookie

Like to see.

Based on Fords recent ability to make good changes to engines, I would like to see it. However I have owned direct injection as well as old school forced induction in sport compacts. I like the old school turbo ability to be normal under regular throttle and turn it up under wot. A turbo coyote makes my wallet open like doors in an old western bar.

13 GT Premium 6MT/ Brembo Pack/ magna flow glass pack axle back/ o/r x pipe/93r Bama Tune/ SR springs/ J&M pan hard bar and lca/ white line relocation brackets
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolith View Post
I don't like DI. But we really have no choice on the matter. I just hope that ford does not stick it on the coyote.
Me neither.. it's great for a stock car, but a nightmare for anyone trying to modify the system. I'd rather have the existing coyote until the DI system is more accessible. It's like adding a blower to make another 30 HP to me, yeah it works but the complexity and cost negates the gains.

2011 Mustang GT - 6 Speed, White, Brembo package
Vortech v3si, homemade intake, Koni yellows, GT500 strut mounts and mufflers, BBK LCAs, Barton 2 post, MT Street Comp tires 255F 285R
567hp/460ft*lb wheel [email protected] / 1.883 60' ([email protected])
1973 Mustang Mach 1- Fuel injected 351c, toploader 4 speed, 9" trac-lok, Hotrod Flatz OD green
Apprentice

This conversation sounds an awful lot like the ones from the 80's when fuel injection was just starting to become more mainstream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page