"Miles to Empty" readout goes crazy - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

"Miles to Empty" readout goes crazy

In an attempt to get my car running yesterday after a failed SCT tune upload, I disconnected the battery terminal for a few minutes. When I finally got the car running, the "miles to empty" readout said 345, which was more than 100 miles further than it's read previously--plus the tank was only half full. I filled up shortly afterwards and the readout shot up to 385, something I would expect to see on the wife's Accord.

Usually at fill up the readout will be in the 225 range. In the 7,000 mile life of the car, I've only averaged 15 mpg, so there's no way the number is anywhere near accurate.

Could disconnecting the battery and flashing the ECU make the readout go nuts? I drove the car 50 miles today and the readout is still insanely optimistic. Everything else seems normal.

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium, MT82, Comfort,
Electronics, 3.73 gears, Ford Racing Strut Brace,
Boss 302S 19" wheels,
255-40-19 Michelin Pilot Super Sports,
Bama 91 Octane Race Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Sounds like what you see after a full reset.

If you've ever noticed, it resets to a mileage number after fill-up based on the average mileage the computer had logged, and not a logging mileage you have any control over to reset except without unplugging the battery and loading a tune. So if your last couple hundred miles were high mileage highway miles, then a fill-up will display a high estimate for Miles-to-Empty.

Don't worry about for now, just drive a tank of gas through normally, and that number will return to normal.

2015 Mustang GT PP 401A Black | Roush Supercharger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page