MT-82 Transmission Additive Update - Page 10 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

After reading all the reviews on here I decided to order some and have my dealer put some in when replacing my lower control arms. I defiantly noticed a difference. The gear engagement is a lot smoother. I have only put about 30 miles on the car since adding this, I have a 13 build so I guess I have 2 bottles in the car but obviously this stuff does not last long since I only have 4000 miles in 1 year. Time will tell if this will last for awhile but for now I am happy.

2013 GT Deep Impact Blue
6MT | Track Pack | Recaros | Steeda Sport Springs | Steeda Adj PB | Borla S-Type | Boss Side Exhaust | SVE Drift's | Roush Upper&Lower Grille | Steeda CAI | Accufab TB | Bama Tuned | Starkey Lower Fogs | Steeda STB | MGW Shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

After about 1500 miles my ole MT82 is still shifting pretty good with the XL-18. I did have a couple mornings in the 40 degree range where 2nd was a little notchy,BUT before the additive I had complete 2nd gear blockout if the car had been sitting for a few days. It didnt even have to be cold outside. So I'm still a satisfied customer...for now.

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.
PONY Member

I had the XL-18 added to my existing fill today.

I drove 60 miles on the highway to my home, so it should be mixed thoroughly.

I think it is shifting more smoothly, though I didn't have a lot of shifting problems to begin with.

I will test it some more tomorrow.

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

Apprentice

I put some XL18 in my tranny yesterday. Will give it a try for one interval then try AMSOIL on next interval and compare.

The shift from 1st to 2nd is noticeably smoother with the additive in it now.

I'd like to give a shout out to Tommie Vaughn Ford in Houston who ordered the XL18 for me, thanks guys!

PS. Saw a 2013 Mustang GT police cruiser in Panama City, Panama it looked bad to the bone.

2012 Mustang GT CS / Performance White / Black Leather / 302-MT82 / 3.73 / HID lamps and fogs / Bama tune / K&N air filter
PONY Member

I drove around today and there is a subtle difference in shifting smoothness.

So, on the whole, a positive experience.

Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

Apprentice

Garage
Just stopped by Beach Ford in Suffolk, VA and ordered a bottle. They had to get it from the vendor. Only $24 and should be here in about 10 days per the parts guy. We'll see what happens.

Arrest Me Red 2011 GT Premium
Six-pot Brembo upgrade; GT500 rear brake upgrade; Whiteline adjustable front and rear sway bars; Whiteline adjustable panhard bar; BMR rear LCAs and relocation brackets; Eibach Pro springs; Koni STR.T struts and shocks; Eibach cam bolts; Legato axle-backs; Forgestar Matte Black CF5s - 19x9/19x11; Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+
PONY Member

260 miles on the XL-18.

As I pull to a stop and downshift to first while still rolling, it goes into gear very smoothly for now.

It didn't used to be that way.

Rookie

So I put a bottle(.9oz) of XL-18 MT82 additive in my trans 2 weeks ago. Noticed a difference almost immediately. I wanted to give it some time to see if it would get better or possibly lose its effectiveness. The morning temps are now in the 40s and I can safely say the additive has made a huge difference. I can use second gear without having to drive 3-5 miles first. No nibbles on 3-2 and all shifts seem smooth and quiet.
Apprentice

So would you guys recommend doing this for 2014's? Anytime the temps are under 65f here in dallas area i get the crunchy grind trying to go into second gear until the fluids warm up within 7-10 mins of normal driving.
I would like to try a bottle but dont know if adding a second bottle of this (provided one was added at the factory??) would do more harm than its worth?

2014 Sterling Gray Gt 3.73's, MT82 Trans, Forgestar CF5's /w Michelin PSS tires, JLT Carbon fiber CAI, Bama 93R Tune, Borla S Catback, DSS Alum driveshaft, BMR springs, LCA, UCA, UCA mount, Panhard, Panhard brace, LCA Relo brackets, Viking Dbl adj shocks, Strange Adj struts, MGW shifter
PONY Member

Your car may have had it added at the factory, maybe.

Have you ever had a transmission fluid change?
I did mine at 1200 miles after new.

Transmissions have a break in period and sometimes small metal flakes are present in the oil.

Rather than potentially doubling up on the friction modifier, I think it would be best to go have the fluid drained, refill with new QDC and add the XL-18.

That's what I would do.

Apprentice

Do you need to add the additive if you use a better fluid?
If not... what type of fluid to use??

PONY Member

That's the thousand dollar question.

I worried and read everything I could find here at allfordmustangs and elsewhere regarding MTL, Amsoil, BG II and the rest of the trans fluids.

I even have some MTL here in my garage.

But I never used it.

I ended up staying put and doing a change and refill of QDC and there was a lot of difference from the original fill.
My build date was 1/12 so QDC was originally in it. But the new fill was a game changer for me.

Why I don't know.

Apprentice

774 Miles since added XL-18. I have found it has lost some of it's effectiveness. One of the biggest changes I noticed that finding first from a stop was much easier and never had to reset. That has degraded some. Cold shifting unfortunately is still a problem and I continue to skip 2nd until engine is at operating temp. Is there an overall improvement in feel? Yes. It did improve things so the additive certainly did not hurt.

Cheers; JOE

2011 Sterling Grey GT Premium, 6MT, Brembo, 3:73, GT500 axlebacks, tint, Rousch white billiard ball shift knob, Stack Racing lower black billet grille.
Apprentice

I'm going to put an order in for this additive ASAP. My only trouble like others are saying, is getting it into 2nd on a cold start up even after FRPP short throw install. Couple quesitons:

How much of the XL-18 do you add? The whole bottle?

Also, I order the the whiteline positive shift kit bushing that is suppose to help with shift engagement under dynamic load. Think that will help too?

-Black 2012 5.0 Mustang (manual); Cobra Jet intake with twin 67mm throttle body; MGW Race Spec shifter; 545g Flossy Shift Knob; MAC axle-back exhaust; SVE black GT4 wheels, 18x9 front, 18x10 rear SOLD
-Ingot Silver 2011 V6 Mustang (auto); 10 psi Procharger supercharged, full exhaust- BBK headers & catted x-pipe/Borla mufflers, 1-piece aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 gears 409rwhp/313rwtq SOLD
PONY Member

Buddy of mine works in the service aisle at a pretty good sized Ford/Lincoln store around here (Metro Detroit). They don't have it in stock, there isn't a dealer in MI with it in stock, 3 of their regional distribution warehouses don't have it either. He found 1 dealer 252 miles away with ONE bottle on hand. Other's were scattered throughout the midwest. I'm guessing it's popular stuff. Hopefully other areas have better luck.

'14 V6 Prem. 6 speed Perf. Pkg. Oxford White/Saddle
Mods in profile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page