MT-82 Transmission Additive Update - Page 11 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjunabeats91 View Post
How much of the XL-18 do you add? The whole bottle?
Yes... the whole bottle is added. It is a small bottle of less than one ounce. Super easy to do and IMO, worth the cost.

I'm not sure on the bushing but I know several folks have stated that aftermarket bushing kits do make a difference. Please report back on the bushings (may be a good experiment to do the bushings first and report the results, and then add the xl-18). Good luck!

-1983 5.0 GT Red/Black.5MT.3:73.FMS Lowering Springs
-2011 5.0 GT Prem.Kona Blue.6MT.19" Nickel Wheels.3:73.Comf Pack. Blk/Cshmr Int
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Garage
I finally got the bottle added. My 2012 GT/CS has 18k miles on it when I bought it and is sitting at 31k now. I have no idea if the PO did anything with the tranny fluid and I haven't. I went to add the XL-18 with just the front on ramps and when I removed the fill plug fluid started dumping. So I grabbed a quart of QDC from the dealer and made sure the car was leveled out on jacks the second attempt. I used a funnel and tubbing from the engine bay. Added the XL-18 and replaced the QDC that had spilled. I can definitely say shifting is much smoother both cold and hot. A lot of the notchiness I experienced while depressing the clutch and re-engaging the tranny is now gone. I also had a slamming feeling coming from the tranny/DS when under-driving sixth (cruising at 45, releasing the gas, and re-applying) that is all but gone.

I'm still debating switching to Redlines MTL or RP's Synchromax to see if there's any additional improvement using a higher quality fluid vice the QDC/additive mix.

Arrest Me Red 2011 GT Premium
Six-pot Brembo upgrade; GT500 rear brake upgrade; Whiteline adjustable front and rear sway bars; Whiteline adjustable panhard bar; BMR rear LCAs and relocation brackets; Eibach Pro springs; Koni STR.T struts and shocks; Eibach cam bolts; Legato axle-backs; Forgestar Matte Black CF5s - 19x9/19x11; Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuan692006 View Post
I finally got the bottle added. My 2012 GT/CS has 18k miles on it when I bought it and is sitting at 31k now. I have no idea if the PO did anything with the tranny fluid and I haven't. I went to add the XL-18 with just the front on ramps and when I removed the fill plug fluid started dumping. So I grabbed a quart of QDC from the dealer and made sure the car was leveled out on jacks the second attempt. I used a funnel and tubbing from the engine bay. Added the XL-18 and replaced the QDC that had spilled. I can definitely say shifting is much smoother both cold and hot. A lot of the notchiness I experienced while depressing the clutch and re-engaging the tranny is now gone. I also had a slamming feeling coming from the tranny/DS when under-driving sixth (cruising at 45, releasing the gas, and re-applying) that is all but gone.

I'm still debating switching to Redlines MTL or RP's Synchromax to see if there's any additional improvement using a higher quality fluid vice the QDC/additive mix.
My thoughts exactly. Mtl and xl-18?

Rookie

Just figured I'd add my 2 cents, I picked up my 2014 about 5 weeks ago just a base Gt with track pack and recaros. Since the day I picked it up when it is cold, sitting over night, it is extremely difficult to get into 2nd gear even third is a little rough. Once I give it 10-15 mins. to warm up seems to be fine. Don't know about additives but according the local techs this is considered "normal" for the MT-82. When I change the fluid I will try the additive just to see if it helps, since it down in the 30's here lately. It's sad in a way I still have my 2005 with the lowly TR-3650 and 130,000 miles on it never gives me a bit of trouble and works perfectly no matter how hard I lean on it. I guess there might be something to be said for where the metal comes from!
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exslider400 View Post
My thoughts exactly. Mtl and xl-18?
I don't think I would mix the two. The XL-18 was designed to compliment the QDC from Ford. Being that I'm no chemist, I don't think I would leave it to chance that mixing XL-18 with anything but QDC could lead to disastrous results. Even if there was a difference with the immediate results, who's to say that the XL-18 wouldn't cause premature breakdown in other fluids and cause increased wear within the tranny?

Six-pot Brembo upgrade; GT500 rear brake upgrade; Whiteline adjustable front and rear sway bars; Whiteline adjustable panhard bar; BMR rear LCAs and relocation brackets; Eibach Pro springs; Koni STR.T struts and shocks; Eibach cam bolts; Legato axle-backs; Forgestar Matte Black CF5s - 19x9/19x11; Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterrolls View Post
Just figured I'd add my 2 cents, I picked up my 2014 about 5 weeks ago just a base Gt with track pack and recaros. Since the day I picked it up when it is cold, sitting over night, it is extremely difficult to get into 2nd gear even third is a little rough. Once I give it 10-15 mins. to warm up seems to be fine. Don't know about additives but according the local techs this is considered "normal" for the MT-82. When I change the fluid I will try the additive just to see if it helps, since it down in the 30's here lately. It's sad in a way I still have my 2005 with the lowly TR-3650 and 130,000 miles on it never gives me a bit of trouble and works perfectly no matter how hard I lean on it. I guess there might be something to be said for where the metal comes from!
All 2014 any any 2013 built after 7/9/12 already has the additive.
This thread, page 9, 5th post.

Apprentice

Quote:
I don't think I would mix the two. The XL-18 was designed to compliment the QDC from Ford. Being that I'm no chemist, I don't think I would leave it to chance that mixing XL-18 with anything but QDC could lead to disastrous results. Even if there was a difference with the immediate results, who's to say that the XL-18 wouldn't cause premature breakdown in other fluids and cause increased wear within the tranny?
I do agree. Seeing if anyone has already done it before I try but kinda thinking NO. I have another post asking what fluid to change to (Redline MTL, Amsoil, or Royal purple) but only 1 reply for Amsoil so far.... should have done a poll I guess. I have read where MTL works great but Redline (& Amsoil) pulled the spec out for our transmissions recently and wanted to see if RP not only meets the spec but has same improved results.

Rookie

?

My point wasn't if it was there but that even with it being factory added the problem still exists in my car, which is dis-hearting to me. So if I control the situation maybe I can make an improvement. The ford people I know locally estimate a repair rate of over 6% of the early MT-82's had to have mechanical repairs or replacement. Could have something to do with the higher viscosity oil being used?
Apprentice

This morning I had my dealer do my fluid swap under the Ford TSB for the MT82, QDC with XL-18. For some reason my dealer said they could not find anything about Ford paying for the XL-18. Since it wasn't part of the TSB, even tho the fluid chart lists the XL-18 added to the QDC as the recommended/approved fluid for the tranny....so I needed to order and pay for it. Took about ten days. Ford covered the labor and QDC gear fluid. I could feel a difference on the drive home, 4 miles, in the better shifting. I will try a cold 1st to 2nd shift in the next day or two when the rain stops....

2011 GT, MT6, Brembo, 401a, 3.73, Heart Throb H mid, Borla axle back, Hurst, Barton 2post, Michelin Super Sports, CDC chin spoiler, drilled rotors, Redline DCTF. 2013 GT500 Rear rotors and adapters, EDC red stuff, Energy Suspension <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> insert,
Apprentice

The XL-18 on top of fresh QDC id definitely an improvement. But, it sure is not perfect still. The first 1-2 shift out of the garage this morning was great tho. No crunch or lockout. Still a nibble here and there on the way, softly, to 6th till she warms up. But all in all a little bit better. I had tried BG syncromesh2 and MTL redline. I liking the Ford fill the best so far...I will learn to just live with the idiosyncrasies....I suppose.

2011 GT, MT6, Brembo, 401a, 3.73, Heart Throb H mid, Borla axle back, Hurst, Barton 2post, Michelin Super Sports, CDC chin spoiler, drilled rotors, Redline DCTF. 2013 GT500 Rear rotors and adapters, EDC red stuff, Energy Suspension <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> insert,
Banned

Thanks for the update. My transmission is about as good as an MT82 gets, but as you said there are unique idiosyncrasies. I've learned to drive around them but once in a while one catches me by surprise.

I'm going to do a fresh fill of QDC with the XL18, disconnect skip-shift and put in an energy suspension shifter bushing to see how it all works.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post
Thanks for the update. My transmission is about as good as an MT82 gets, but as you said there are unique idiosyncrasies. I've learned to drive around them but once in a while one catches me by surprise.

I'm going to do a fresh fill of QDC with the XL18, disconnect skip-shift and put in an energy suspension shifter bushing to see how it all works.
The ES bushing is an amazing bang for the buck major upgrade. You will wonder why you didn't do this long ago.

PONY Member

Send a message via MSN to Rorysbrown
My dealer just did the TSB11-11-1 on my 2012 Mustang V6 because I was having issues trying to get into 1st gear. This TSB in Canada replaces the transmission fluid to XT-11-QDC but doesn't include nor have they heard of the XT-18 Additive. This TSB has improved my shifting greatly but I'd like to have this XT-18. Anyone know anywhere where I can order a bottle?

Rory S. Brown from Surrey, BC Canada
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2014 Mustang MCA Edition in Grabber Blue. Previously: 2016 Shelby GT350 in Race Red, 2015 Mustang V6 Competition Orange, 2012 Mustang V6 Premium ProCharged in Black, 2011 Mustang V6 Premium in Red Candy Metallic, and 1979 Mustang Cobra in Bright Red (My 1st New Car)
Website www.mymustang.ca
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorysbrown View Post
My dealer just did the TSB11-11-1 on my 2012 Mustang V6 because I was having issues trying to get into 1st gear. This TSB in Canada replaces the transmission fluid to XT-11-QDC but doesn't include nor have they heard of the XT-18 Additive. This TSB has improved my shifting greatly but I'd like to have this XT-18. Anyone know anywhere where I can order a bottle?
Have the dealer get the latest fluid chart from Ford. I'm going through a similar issue. The TSB is for cars built on or before 8-15-2011. Mine build date is 8-17-2011. I'm waiting for the Service Manager to get in touch with Ford Corporate about them paying for the work.

He also had not heard of the XL-18 additive. I asked him to pull up the fluid chart (should be from June 2013). For the MT-82 it has "see note 6". Note 6 below the chart states to add 27ml of XL-18 to any full fluid change. The chart for reference can be downloaded here: https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...f/mantrans.pdf

PONY Member

Send a message via MSN to Rorysbrown
Quote:
Have the dealer get the latest fluid chart from Ford. I'm going through a similar issue. The TSB is for cars built on or before 8-15-2011. Mine build date is 8-17-2011. I'm waiting for the Service Manager to get in touch with Ford Corporate about them paying for the work.

He also had not heard of the XL-18 additive. I asked him to pull up the fluid chart (should be from June 2013). For the MT-82 it has &quot;see note 6&quot;. Note 6 below the chart states to add 27ml of XL-18 to any full fluid change. The chart for reference can be downloaded here: https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...f/mantrans.pdf
Thanks for that, I forwarded the link to the Service Manager at my dealership to look into it for me.

Rory S. Brown from Surrey, BC Canada
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2014 Mustang MCA Edition in Grabber Blue. Previously: 2016 Shelby GT350 in Race Red, 2015 Mustang V6 Competition Orange, 2012 Mustang V6 Premium ProCharged in Black, 2011 Mustang V6 Premium in Red Candy Metallic, and 1979 Mustang Cobra in Bright Red (My 1st New Car)
Website www.mymustang.ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page