MT-82 Transmission Additive Update - Page 12 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
Ok! I’ve done more research for you guys. This XL-18 additive should be available in a few weeks on Official Ford Parts Site | Buy Motorcraft & OEM Ford Parts Online | FordParts.com. There was some info missing on the site. Please keep checking it.

Deysha
I just found XL-18 on the Ford Parts website by searching by part number "XL18". It didn't come up, however, when I tried to search by vehicle type and part type. This direct link works for me - hopefully it will work for others too.

My Shopping Cart | FordParts.com

2011 GT Coupe/MT82/Grabber Blue/Premium 401A/Anti-theft+HIDs/
Rear video/18" Polished Alum/3M Crystalline tint+clear bra/Hoen H10 fog/ES shifter bushing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

I went ahead and paid for my XL-18 just to get it here and get the car done. Twenty two bucks, Ford paid for the rest. I figure it wasn't worth arguing over....for now anyway

2011 GT, MT6, Brembo, 401a, 3.73, Heart Throb H mid, Borla axle back, Hurst, Barton 2post, Michelin Super Sports, CDC chin spoiler, drilled rotors, Redline DCTF. 2013 GT500 Rear rotors and adapters, EDC red stuff, Energy Suspension <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> insert,
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterrolls View Post
Just figured I'd add my 2 cents, I picked up my 2014 about 5 weeks ago just a base Gt with track pack and recaros. Since the day I picked it up when it is cold, sitting over night, it is extremely difficult to get into 2nd gear even third is a little rough.
These 2 transmissions are totally different, scooterrolls. You’re can get a second opinion by a different Ford Dealer and let me escalate this for you if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangheat View Post
I just found XL-18 on the Ford Parts website by searching by part number "XL18". It didn't come up, however, when I tried to search by vehicle type and part type. This direct link works for me - hopefully it will work for others too.
I tried with “XL18” in the part # search, and it came right up, stangheat. You guys can now order it from here.

Deysha

Apprentice

Deysha,
So, why is Ford not paying for the XL-18? Like I said my dealer did the TSB on my MT82 but made me pay and order the additive they want in the gearbox? Weird....

2011 GT, MT6, Brembo, 401a, 3.73, Heart Throb H mid, Borla axle back, Hurst, Barton 2post, Michelin Super Sports, CDC chin spoiler, drilled rotors, Redline DCTF. 2013 GT500 Rear rotors and adapters, EDC red stuff, Energy Suspension <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> insert,
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtmoto View Post
Deysha,
So, why is Ford not paying for the XL-18? Like I said my dealer did the TSB on my MT82 but made me pay and order the additive they want in the gearbox? Weird....
If the TSB does not call for it, I’m guessing this is why it wouldn’t be covered, ddtmoto. Your service manager will need to check into that for you.

Deysha
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuan692006 View Post
Have the dealer get the latest fluid chart from Ford. I'm going through a similar issue. The TSB is for cars built on or before 8-15-2011. Mine build date is 8-17-2011. I'm waiting for the Service Manager to get in touch with Ford Corporate about them paying for the work.

He also had not heard of the XL-18 additive. I asked him to pull up the fluid chart (should be from June 2013). For the MT-82 it has "see note 6". Note 6 below the chart states to add 27ml of XL-18 to any full fluid change. The chart for reference can be downloaded here: https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...f/mantrans.pdf
Quote:
If the TSB does not call for it, I’m guessing this is why it wouldn’t be covered, ddtmoto. Your service manager will need to check into that for you.

Deysha
Deysha, did you see this post and the linked PDF? Ford is stating that for a total fluid change on the MT82, you need to "add 27mL of XL-18, MT-82 Transmission Additive." To me, that means that Ford needs to add the XL-18 any time they do a total fluid change. The TSB tells them to change the fluid, this document is telling them what fluid(s) to use.
Rookie

I have an early 2012 Mustang GT Premium Brembo. I too am experiencing the notchy shifting between 1 and 2 and sometime 3rd gear, especially as it gets colder. I bought the car used last Feb with 17000 miles on it and now have 23000 miles on it and couldn't be happier with the purchase as my DD. I went to the dealer and told them about the TSB to change the original trans fluid and the new Trans Fluid Chart, all of which I learned about on here. They were not aware of the TSB or the additive but indicated I qualified for the TSB and they ordered the XL18 on the spot, after I showed them the new fluid change chart and scheduled me a date to bring my car in for the trans oil change. I will update the forum as to how it turns out. Ive added the GT 500 axel backs, the Barton shift knob extension and old school shifter ball, and Hawk Ceramic Street brake pads and new rotors as a result of what I have learned here and they have all improved my Mustang experience.
PONY Member

Send a message via MSN to Rorysbrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorysbrown View Post
Thanks for that, I forwarded the link to the Service Manager at my dealership to look into it for me.
The Hallmark Ford Service Manager checked with Ford and they came back stating to absolutely not use the XL18 additive. Apparently, the TSB says not to use any additives. In my case, getting into first gear is my problem. Through the efforts of the Canadian Ford Rep through this forum and probably my Hallmark Ford Service manager, Ford has authorized the replacement of my 1st Gear Synco and/or 1st Gear cluster to see if this will fix my issue. Hopefully, this will solve my issue. Thanks to Ford for having Reps in this forum to help out customers.

Rory S. Brown from Surrey, BC Canada
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2014 Mustang MCA Edition in Grabber Blue. Previously: 2016 Shelby GT350 in Race Red, 2015 Mustang V6 Competition Orange, 2012 Mustang V6 Premium ProCharged in Black, 2011 Mustang V6 Premium in Red Candy Metallic, and 1979 Mustang Cobra in Bright Red (My 1st New Car)
Website www.mymustang.ca
Rookie

Thoughts on the XL 18 additive

Quote:
The Hallmark Ford Service Manager checked with Ford and they came back stating to absolutely not use the XL18 additive. Apparently, the TSB says not to use any additives. In my case, getting into first gear is my problem. Through the efforts of the Canadian Ford Rep through this forum and probably my Hallmark Ford Service manager, Ford has authorized the replacement of my 1st Gear Synco and/or 1st Gear cluster to see if this will fix my issue. Hopefully, this will solve my issue. Thanks to Ford for having Reps in this forum to help out customers.
Seems like the new trans fluid directive was written significantly after the TSB and would end up modifying the earlier TSB. Existing additives were not part of the solution at the time of the TSB but apparently are now. I will let you know how this all plays out for me with my dealer. I had the same issue on my Pantera and the friction modifier helps the syncros operate like they were intended. We ended up adding a friction modifier to get rid of the same notchy shift on our own because there was no warrantee issue. It was a little different in that case because it was a trans axel and the friction modifier helped the posi unit as well as the syncros in the trans. It was basically the same issue I think. I will add the XL 18 even if I have to pay for it as long as it doesn't affect the warrantee.
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangInTexas View Post
Deysha, did you see this post and the linked PDF? Ford is stating that for a total fluid change on the MT82, you need to "add 27mL of XL-18, MT-82 Transmission Additive." To me, that means that Ford needs to add the XL-18 any time they do a total fluid change. The TSB tells them to change the fluid, this document is telling them what fluid(s) to use.
I understand, MustangInTexas. The info is for the normal maintenance of the vehicle. When we’re talking warranty, the TSB does not call for it and does not show it to be covered. This is why I recommend you speak with your service manager when having this TSB performed.

Deysha
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I understand, MustangInTexas. The info is for the normal maintenance of the vehicle. When we’re talking warranty, the TSB does not call for it and does not show it to be covered. This is why I recommend you speak with your service manager when having this TSB performed.

Deysha
I don't understand. Why would the "normal maintenance" call for something better than what one would expect on a TSB to fix an issue? seems jlbell4444 got it right. The TSB was written before the XL-18 was out. It still seems that the Transmission Fluid Chart would supersede the TSB instructions if you're changing out the transmission fluid. Why would you ever do a partial fix because the OLD instructions tell you to? One should not blindly follow instructions without a thought.
Banned

Quote:
Could elaborate a little on not being able to get it into first? Is is that you have come to a stop and try to shift into first and occasionally it doesn't always want to go right in?

If so, I have the same operational characteristic, just as I have had on most every other manual transmission car I've had in the last 40 years. I just clutch it again and it goes right in.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post
Could elaborate a little on not being able to get it into first? Is is that you have come to a stop and try to shift into first and occasionally it doesn't always want to go right in?

If so, I have the same operational characteristic, just as I have had on most every other manual transmission car I've had in the last 40 years. I just clutch it again and it goes right in.
No, the issue is on up shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd in cold weather or under hard accelleration on early 2012 and 2011 6 speed manuals. The oil viscosity and friction of the original trans fluid is not letting the syncros match speed under these two conditions. From the posts it sounds like the dual clutch fluid change solves the low temperature problem with a lower viscosity fluid but with added trans noise and the friction additive takes care of the trans noise and further helps allow the syncros to operate correctly.
PONY Member

Send a message via MSN to Rorysbrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post

Clutch it again doesn't work. I have all kinds of experience with manual transmissions including 15 speed truck transmissions. When cold I have no issue. After less than 4 minutes of driving when you come to a stop, it won't go into 1st gear unless you rev it up to about 1500 rpm or more. No other issues with the transmission.

Rory S. Brown from Surrey, BC Canada
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2014 Mustang MCA Edition in Grabber Blue. Previously: 2016 Shelby GT350 in Race Red, 2015 Mustang V6 Competition Orange, 2012 Mustang V6 Premium ProCharged in Black, 2011 Mustang V6 Premium in Red Candy Metallic, and 1979 Mustang Cobra in Bright Red (My 1st New Car)
Website www.mymustang.ca
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangInTexas View Post
I don't understand. Why would the "normal maintenance" call for something better than what one would expect on a TSB to fix an issue? seems jlbell4444 got it right. The TSB was written before the XL-18 was out. It still seems that the Transmission Fluid Chart would supersede the TSB instructions if you're changing out the transmission fluid. Why would you ever do a partial fix because the OLD instructions tell you to? One should not blindly follow instructions without a thought.
You should get this addressed by your service manager and our Tech Hotline, MustangInTexas.

Deysha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page