MT-82 Transmission Additive Update - Page 13 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quoting Daysha's partial post above;

I tried with “XL18” in the part # search, and it came right up, stangheat. You guys can now order it from here.

Deysha

p: 800.392.FORD

Daysha, Can us guys in Canada also order "XL 18" from the same site you just indicated above, OR just simply relay this info to our Canadian dealers and let them track this product down through Ford Canada...
As temps get lower up here, I have been noticing a greater effort engaging 1st to 2nd with the nibble coming back...it's a disheartening grind slipping from 1st into 2nd, no matter how I try to slip into that 2nd gear...10 minutes of driving, and it starts to calm down, till the next cold start (regardless of starting up and letting the car come into operating temps) I usually don't start to drive until I start to get a slight hint of heat blowing through the heater...which to me, indicates the engine is well on it's way to reaching it's operating temp.
Any advice you may have for me in this regard, and my service advisor at Donway Ford would be highly appreciated.
If you would be so kind as to touch base with the service manager at Donway Ford and bring him up to speed on this one, would not only help me, but a ton of other Mustang owners that use Donway Ford as their primary service provider for all things, Mustang service.
Thanks ever so much for whatever help you can accomplish in this regard.
Mario

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Candy REDCS View Post

I tried with “XL18” in the part # search, and it came right up, stangheat. You guys can now order it from here.

Deysha

Daysha, Can us guys in Canada also order "XL 18" from the same site you just indicated above, OR just simply relay this info to our Canadian dealers and let them track this product down through Ford Canada...
As temps get lower up here, I have been noticing a greater effort engaging 1st to 2nd with the nibble coming back...it's a disheartening grind slipping from 1st into 2nd, no matter how I try to slip into that 2nd gear...10 minutes of driving, and it starts to calm down, till the next cold start (regardless of starting up and letting the car come into operating temps) I usually don't start to drive until I start to get a slight hint of heat blowing through the heater...which to me, indicates the engine is well on it's way to reaching it's operating temp.
Any advice you may have for me in this regard, and my service advisor at Donway Ford would be highly appreciated.
If you would be so kind as to touch base with the service manager at Donway Ford and bring him up to speed on this one, would not only help me, but a ton of other Mustang owners that use Donway Ford as their primary service provider for all things, Mustang service.
Mario
Hi 5.0 Candy REDCS,

I'm Bianca, the Ford Canada Service Rep and Deysha let me know you needed assistance. You will have to bring it in to your dealer and have your service manager look into it for you. Let me know if you need me; I'm always available to help.

Bianca

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.565.FORD
t: @FordServiceCA @FordMustang @FordCanada
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/FordCanada
Banned

Quote:

Deysha

Mario
I think the only real away around that in those cold temps is a 1-3 shift or starting in second. One trick I do that seems to work for me is to make that cold 1-2 shift at or below 2000 rpm. Be interesting to see if the so called "improved" MT82 in the 2015 experiences this problem.

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordServiceCA View Post
Hi 5.0 Candy REDCS,

I'm Bianca, the Ford Canada Service Rep and Deysha let me know you needed assistance. You will have to bring it in to your dealer and have your service manager look into it for you. Let me know if you need me; I'm always available to help.

Bianca
Thanks for the response Bianca, I guess I can get in touch with Barry at Donway Ford (service manager) and see if he's even aware of this new additive. Last time I took it in for basically the same complaint 1st/2nd gear grind, they replaced the tranny oil with the lighter viscosity, and that somewhat improved shifting...is it possible the replacement oil has already worn out?
If you could escalate this for me with Donway Ford, attention Barry, and bring him up to speed regarding this new oil development, it would be greatly appreciated.
I know some of the members here, choose to start rolling off in second gear during the cold snap, I'm just a little concerned what effect that has with escalated wear & tear on the clutch and syncros...I much rather drive off starting in 1st...I usually change into 2nd at well below the 3,000 rpm, especially when car's still cold ( although at start up I DO allow it to somewhat reach warm operating temps; till warmish air starts coming out the heater).
If you need me to forward you any info regarding my car, please let me know what you need and I send it to you.
Thanks Bianca :-)
PS.
Please pass my warm regards to Daysha is you happen to speak with her, thanks.
Mario.

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the response Bianca, I guess I can get in touch with Barry at Donway Ford (service manager) and see if he's even aware of this new additive. Last time I took it in for basically the same complaint 1st/2nd gear grind, they replaced the tranny oil with the lighter viscosity, and that somewhat improved shifting...is it possible the replacement oil has already worn out?
If you could escalate this for me with Donway Ford, attention Barry, and bring him up to speed regarding this new oil development, it would be greatly appreciated.
I know some of the members here, choose to start rolling off in second gear during the cold snap, I'm just a little concerned what effect that has with escalated wear & tear on the clutch and syncros...I much rather drive off starting in 1st...I usually change into 2nd at well below the 3,000 rpm, especially when car's still cold ( although at start up I DO allow it to somewhat reach warm operating temps; till warmish air starts coming out the heater).
If you need me to forward you any info regarding my car, please let me know what you need and I send it to you.
Thanks Bianca :-)
PS.
Please pass my warm regards to Daysha is you happen to speak with her, thanks.
Mario.
Hi Mario,

Message relayed to Deysha!

Were you able to talk with Barry? I'd like to escalate this but we'll need to get you an appointment at Donway, first. Once that is done, please send me a PM with your VIN, odometer reading, full name, and best daytime phone number so I can send this up the chain.

Bianca

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.565.FORD
t: @FordServiceCA @FordMustang @FordCanada
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/FordCanada
Rookie

I placed an order for two bottles through ford parts, which of course ends up at my closest dealer, Covert Ford.
that was about a month ago, when i first read this thread.
The order was pending the whole time. I finally contacted them and they said it was on national back order w/ no ETA. I also called a few online web parts places and they said the same thing.

I just now sent a request to Tommy Vaughn Ford and they called me back saying they had two cases of the stuff. I ordered two bottles (shipping was unusually high though, fyi).

Morgan
PONY Member

Send a message via MSN to Rorysbrown
Is there an official Ford response as to if currently we are supposed to have the XL18 additive? When Ford Canada changed my fluid recently in a previous post; Ford Canada told my dealer to absolutely not put that additive in. Yet people are still talking about putting this in? What is the official story Ford? I get my car back from my dealer today with the 1st gear syncro being replaced. I'm looking forward to seeing how the transmission shifts but I'd like to know about this XL18 additive question.

Rory S. Brown from Surrey, BC Canada
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2014 Mustang MCA Edition in Grabber Blue. Previously: 2016 Shelby GT350 in Race Red, 2015 Mustang V6 Competition Orange, 2012 Mustang V6 Premium ProCharged in Black, 2011 Mustang V6 Premium in Red Candy Metallic, and 1979 Mustang Cobra in Bright Red (My 1st New Car)
Website www.mymustang.ca
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorysbrown View Post
Is there an official Ford response as to if currently we are supposed to have the XL18 additive? When Ford Canada changed my fluid recently in a previous post; Ford Canada told my dealer to absolutely not put that additive in. Yet people are still talking about putting this in? What is the official story Ford? I get my car back from my dealer today with the 1st gear syncro being replaced. I'm looking forward to seeing how the transmission shifts but I'd like to know about this XL18 additive question.
EXTRA! EXTRA! Read all about it! New info/correction/final word!!

As per current work shop manual and service publications, the XL-18 is no longer used. The mentioned chart has not been updated on the site since June (as per the bottom right corner of such: Version 3.7 / Published 6/2013).

You may all breathe again. I hope this helps.

Deysha
Rookie

Deysha, so there are new publications that postdate the June document? Do they specifically say not to use the additive now? I was about to have the trans fluid changed and add the additive but I have not yet done it. This seems like a quick reversal for Ford and they are not known for either quick or reversals when it comes to things like this, LOL. Thanks for all your help trying to unravel this.
Apprentice

Deysha

So there is now documentation stipulating that this additive is to not be added? I was just about to order a bottle when I read your most recent post...

Best

2012 Mustang GT Premium --- Red Candy
MT82 --- MGW Shifter
3.73s --- SR Performance Strut Tower Brace
Borla-S Axle Backs --- Boom
Black Bullets with Polished Lip
Raxiom Tinted Tail Lights
Apprentice
S197 Member

I have the additive in my 11 GT and it significantly improved the 1-2 shift.
Apprentice

Angry

I was told from another Ford service representative not to put the XL-18 . the dealership said it is a ford motorcraft product so it would not Void my warranty, but by that reasoning I can put motorcraft 5w30 in my transmission for the warranty so don't believe a word they say. this is very frustrating that a large company doesn't know what fluid put in its vehicles. do I add the additive or not I have no idea...Chart says yes but no one at dealership and some reps at Ford have never heard of it...and now chart has changed. I want to add it but also want a warranty. Very very frustrating and disappointing...and confusing.

Rookie

Wow. So I started reading the all the posts in this thread. I had went to the ford site and put this fluid in my cart. I continued reading and went back to the ford site to checkout. I reentered the part number and now there is a message that ford no longer makes this fluid due to low demand.

Guess I'm not trying it now. I h ad the TSB performed last winter. It was immediately better. Prior to TSB I had no 2nd gear when cold. It' still does the nibble though and occasionally gets stuck trying to get 6th.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	298009  
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by clev357 View Post
Wow. So I started reading the all the posts in this thread. I had went to the ford site and put this fluid in my cart. I continued reading and went back to the ford site to checkout. I reentered the part number and now there is a message that ford no longer makes this fluid due to low demand.

Guess I'm not trying it now. I h ad the TSB performed last winter. It was immediately better. Prior to TSB I had no 2nd gear when cold. It' still does the nibble though and occasionally gets stuck trying to get 6th.
XL-11? That's what I see in your pic.... should be XL-18. Happy Holidays!

Cheers; JOE

2011 Sterling Grey GT Premium, 6MT, Brembo, 3:73, GT500 axlebacks, tint, Rousch white billiard ball shift knob, Stack Racing lower black billet grille.
Apprentice
S197 Member

[QUOTE]EXTRA! EXTRA! Read all about it! New info/correction/final word!!

As per current work shop manual and service publications, the XL-18 is no longer used. The mentioned chart has not been updated on the site since June (as per the bottom right corner of such: Version 3.7 / Published 6/2013).

You may all breathe again. I hope this helps.

Deysha

t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline Report Post Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!/QUOTE]

How is this supposed to make anyone feel better?

The people that may not now use it don't get the considerable benefit that it offers.

Those of us that have used it are left wondering what harm it will cause and who will pay for it. Ford must have found it harmful, why else would they have discontinued it? It certainly helps. My transmission is night and day better with it

Explanation please.

jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page