MT-82 Transmission Additive Update - Page 14 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

While this latest info is a bit confusing, I don't feel that just because they aren't using it anymore, doesn't mean there's not a real benefit to it. There may be something else in the works, who knows.

I for one am going to drain my trans. come spring and install fresh oem fluid and the bottle of additive I have. I've read too many good things about the additive and I'm not going to get too bent out of shape over this latest announcement.

'14 V6 Prem. 6 speed Perf. Pkg. Oxford White/Saddle
Mods in profile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperJoe View Post
XL-11? That's what I see in your pic.... should be XL-18. Happy Holidays!
Well crap! That explains a lot.

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowellDoug View Post
While this latest info is a bit confusing, I don't feel that just because they aren't using it anymore, doesn't mean there's not a real benefit to it. There may be something else in the works, who knows.

I for one am going to drain my trans. come spring and install fresh oem fluid and the bottle of additive I have. I've read too many good things about the additive and I'm not going to get too bent out of shape over this latest announcement.
According to what I have read around here, this is not recommended for the '13 and '14 as they have this factory installed. You'd just be draining it out to add more so that you feel better.

Apprentice

I've gone ahead and ordered a bottle - will post my experience as soon as possible!

2012 Mustang GT Premium --- Red Candy
MT82 --- MGW Shifter
3.73s --- SR Performance Strut Tower Brace
Borla-S Axle Backs --- Boom
Black Bullets with Polished Lip
Raxiom Tinted Tail Lights
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangInTexas View Post
According to what I have read around here, this is not recommended for the '13 and '14 as they have this factory installed. You'd just be draining it out to add more so that you feel better.
The problem is I've yet to get confirmed that my MY vehicle does or does not have it from the factory. In my situation, kind of a moot point, as I swapped out the fluid for Redline a while back, and frankly it wasn't any better than the oem fluid (and modifier, if indeed installed.) I figure I have nothing to lose by swapping it out again.

My biggest issue with the trans. is the slight crunching going into 2nd when it's cold out. Otherwise it's been acceptable, but I don't think it's a stellar shifting transmission, crunch or not.

Mods in profile
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
My biggest issue with the transmission is the slight crunching going into 2nd when it's cold out. Otherwise it's been acceptable, but I don't think it's a stellar shifting transmission, crunch or not.
Interesting, I really wonder what is causing that. It doesn't happen on all MT-82s. Really, probably a small percentage over all. Normally, the Red Line seems to be fixing it. And, if it's a fluid thing, why are people changing out the shifter and fixing this? Anyway, I wish you luck in getting yours to work as it should.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangInTexas View Post
Interesting, I really wonder what is causing that. It doesn't happen on all MT-82s. Really, probably a small percentage over all. Normally, the Red Line seems to be fixing it. And, if it's a fluid thing, why are people changing out the shifter and fixing this? Anyway, I wish you luck in getting yours to work as it should.
Thanks!

I had installed the shifter prior to doing the fluid swap, and the shifter/bracket were clearly an improvement over the stock items. The fluid swap seemed to make zero difference. When I pull the car out of storage in the spring, this is one of the first things I'll address, fingers crossed, of course.

Mods in profile
Banned

The 1-2 crunch in cooler temps is common to just about all MT82's. Design flaw IMO. Do a 1-3 or start in 2
until the transmission warms a bit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbell4444 View Post
Deysha, so there are new publications that postdate the June document? Do they specifically say not to use the additive now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEddie87 View Post
Deysha
So there is now documentation stipulating that this additive is to not be added? I was just about to order a bottle when I read your most recent post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exslider400 View Post
I was told from another Ford service representative not to put the XL-18 ....Chart says yes but no one at dealership and some reps at Ford have never heard of it...and now chart has changed. I want to add it but also want a warranty. Very very frustrating and disappointing...and confusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captcarb View Post
How is this supposed to make anyone feel better?
The people that may not now use it don't get the considerable benefit that it offers.

Those of us that have used it are left wondering what harm it will cause and who will pay for it. Ford must have found it harmful, why else would they have discontinued it? It certainly helps. My transmission is night and day better with it

Explanation please.
Quote:

I'm not going to get too bent out of shape over this latest announcement.
Quote:
The problem is I've yet to get confirmed that my MY vehicle does or does not have it from the factory. In my situation, kind of a moot point, as I swapped out the fluid for Redline a while back, and frankly it wasn't any better than the oem fluid (and modifier, if indeed installed.) I figure I have nothing to lose by swapping it out again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
EXTRA! EXTRA! Read all about it! New info/correction/final word!!

As per current work shop manual and service publications, the XL-18 is no longer used. The mentioned chart has not been updated on the site since June (as per the bottom right corner of such: Version 3.7 / Published 6/2013).

You may all breathe again. I hope this helps.

Deysha
Hey guys,

The change to the XT-11-QDC fluid occurred on 8/15/2011 the XL 18 additive began on 7/9/2012. Keep in mind that all manual transmissions will be more difficult to shift when cold and the transmission should be allowed to warm up bit (a few minutes of driving depending on the temperature) before attempting to shift the transmission aggressively.

The info I posted above was to clarify, the previous statements regarding XL-18 “must” be added when replacing the transmission fluid.

Once again, if you’re experiencing any concerns with your vehicle, be sure to visit your dealer for full diagnosis and let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Apprentice
S197 Member

One more time:

The XL-18 cured my 1-2 cold shift issue. No warm up required.

Caveat: the coldest temp the car has seen is 30 degrees. The shift from 1-2 was smooth the first time at that temp.

jim
PONY Member

Deysha,

My car was built 6-01-12, so no XL-18 was added at the factory, could I request my dealer to add it under warranty? I baby my car till it warms up, but I do get the 1-2 synchro crunch at times.

2013 BOSS 302 School Bus Yellow #1121
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS MAN 13 View Post
Deysha,
My car was built 6-01-12, so no XL-18 was added at the factory, could I request my dealer to add it under warranty? I baby my car till it warms up, but I do get the 1-2 synchro crunch at times.
No, BOSS MAN 13. Any service/repair you’d like for your dealer to perform (per your request) on your vehicle will be customer pay.

If you’re having a concern, you will need them to fully diagnose your vehicle. They will then advise of any repairs needed, and if the additive is necessary. I can also get this escalated for you if you’d like. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Apprentice

The local Ford service dept did the QDC fluid change over (TSB 11-11-1) today at 7220 miles, in response to my shifting concerns. I discussed adding XL-18 too with my service advisor (offered to pay for it), but since the TSB didn't call for it - he ended up not putting it in, and suggested that if I still had problems that it might be an option later. I could tell an immediate difference driving home - more like driving a sports car and less like a truck!

I'm still curious what additional information there may be from Ford regarding the advisability of adding XL-18 for my (June 2010 build) MT82, as I'm pretty sure the extent of my service advisor's research on the subject was limited to determining if my car qualified for the fluid change TSB.

2011 GT Coupe/MT82/Grabber Blue/Premium 401A/Anti-theft+HIDs/
Rear video/18" Polished Alum/3M Crystalline tint+clear bra/Hoen H10 fog/ES shifter bushing
Apprentice
S197 Member

see note 6
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...f/mantrans.pdf

Last edited by captcarb; 12-30-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: image issue
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcarb View Post
Yes - thanks - I showed this to my service advisor today too. That's why I'm wishing for more information, or an updated TSB, or both.

2011 GT Coupe/MT82/Grabber Blue/Premium 401A/Anti-theft+HIDs/
Rear video/18" Polished Alum/3M Crystalline tint+clear bra/Hoen H10 fog/ES shifter bushing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page