MT-82 Transmission Additive Update - Page 16 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanjp View Post
I was driving in the snow a week ago (I have snow tires) and I noticed a CRAZY noise coming from either the clutch or transmission. I thought I was going to have to park it and call a tow! It was scary. It stopped whenever I came to a stop and when I revved it didn't make the noise. When I started moving again it slowly started making the noise again. Got it home and parked it for the night and the next day it was gone and has been ever since. Weird.
Snow packed in wheels and wheel wells can make some crazy noise, if it disappears after being parked, more than likely that was your issue. It more than likely melted and fell out. I've actually had wheel balance issues with my cars from frozen ice.

2013 BOSS 302 School Bus Yellow #1121
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Garage
I just received my bottle of XL-18! I was shocked to see the size of the bottle and even more shocked to feel how little XL-18 is actually in it. I'm planning on adding it tomorrow. I wonder how long it takes before I will notice a difference and will I notice a difference. I will update with some results soon.

Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvo View Post
I just received my bottle of XL-18! I was shocked to see the size of the bottle and even more shocked to feel how little XL-18 is actually in it. I'm planning on adding it tomorrow. I wonder how long it takes before I will notice a difference and will I notice a difference. I will update with some results soon.
It took me about 16 miles. I Cant believe the difference. I still get a little rub here and there but no missed shifts. I have not tracked the car yet since the fluid change.

2012 GT coupe 401a mt82, 3:73, Brembo, D1SC Procharger, BOSS intake, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni yellows, Steeda bump steer, Steeda adjustable panhard rod, Vossen 10.5 +45 offset with 305 35 20 Cooper Zeon rs3-s

Rookie

Theres a guy right now on the 'bay that has several quarts of the dual clutch fluid for sale. Best price I've found yet, even after paying the freight.

2011 GT Coupe Premium / 6 speed manual
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowellDoug View Post
The problem is I've yet to get confirmed that my MY vehicle does or does not have it from the factory. In my situation, kind of a moot point, as I swapped out the fluid for Redline a while back, and frankly it wasn't any better than the oem fluid (and modifier, if indeed installed.) I figure I have nothing to lose by swapping it out again.

My biggest issue with the trans. is the slight crunching going into 2nd when it's cold out. Otherwise it's been acceptable, but I don't think it's a stellar shifting transmission, crunch or not.
I've found that letting it war up 3 to 10 minutes depending on temp that unless I over baby the 1st to 2nd shift then its notchy. Drive it normal no issues. And I love this MT-82 as it's perfect so far.

2014 Black 3.7 6M. 20 inch black bullets, Pypes Axle back, matte black super snake stripes, next up JLT intake.
2011 Mustang 5.0 Race Red. gone and was sick
2011 Mustang 3.7, gone sold 3 times since, that I know of.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

The '14s aren't supposed to have the notchy issues though.
PONY Member

Garage
I thought the XL-18 additive was now being discouraged because it might have long term harmful effects on the synchros. I would not mind trying it, the $23 is worth the experiment, but if it negatively affects the longevity of the synchros, then no way.

My transmission mostly shifts fine but that 1 -> 2 nibble is there most of the time, weirdly, particularly when turning left.??? Makes me wonder if the transmission torques out of line with the shifter a bit during a left turn.

Deysha can you confirm whether use of XL-18 is now thought to be harmful or not?

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade

Last edited by wjbertrand; 02-13-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Rookie

I have not read anything about it being harmful?!
The package and label in it even says that it's specifically for use with the MT-82
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbertrand View Post
I thought the XL-18 additive was now being discouraged because it might have long term harmful effects on the synchros. I would not mind trying it, the $23 is worth the experiment, but if it negatively affects the longevity of the synchros, then no way.

My transmission mostly shifts fine but that 1 -> 2 nibble is there most of the time, weirdly, particularly when turning left.??? Makes me wonder if the transmission torques out of line with the shifter a bit during a left turn.

Deysha can you confirm whether use of XL-18 is now thought to be harmful or not?
???

Anyone know?

EKOPEL
2011 GT 5.0 PREMIUM
3.73, MT82, Short Shifter, Dropped, Steeda Adj. UCA, UPR Catch Can, 20x11's and 275s, Roush Exhaust, Steeda CAI, 91S and 91R tunes, Hawk/Brembos 4 corners, Black tails, heads, markers, emblems, etc, 2k watts audio, nav, roush front end w/fogs, roush rear and side lowers, roush 6 line grill, 43k on odo, getting ready for FI in a few months...
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Quote:

Who's you source on it being harmful? I haven't heard this!

Matt

2012 Mustang GT, Lava Red Metallic, Brembo, 401A, Cashmere leather, pedestal spoiler and hoodscoop. Mods - Boss shift knob, Weathertechs, GT fender badges, Steeda Ultra-lites/Tokico's D-specs/Steeda HD mounts & phb/GT500 iso's, 20% tint, Steeda UCA, Roush Axlebacks, Bassani X-pipe, no reso's, Painted lower valances, Boss mudflaps, MMD hood struts, MGW shifter, 275/40R19 Michelin Super Sports all around, Whiteline Sways/LCA's/Brackets, Steeda CAI, Bama 93 tune.
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrext View Post
Who's you source on it being harmful? I haven't heard this!

Matt
You know it has to be true!
It's illegal to put anything on the internet that isn't true.

2012 GT Prem. Black, 6MT82, Brembo Package, Rear Sensing Security Package, Appearance Package #5 ,3.73 LS Axle, GT500 Axle Backs, MGW Shifter, FRPP Tune.
PONY Member

Garage
I read it somewhere but I can't remember where. I'll see if I can find it. I thought it came from Ford though...

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

It would be awesome if Deysha can confirm the compatibility of the XL-18 with the current tranny fluid FORD is filling up with. Long term negative effects are usually not immediate, but rather a slow degradation of oil/ components, then suddenly, you have issues on your hands... it could also constitute a decline of warranty...
Before everyone starts to interpret what I'm saying as " don't use this stuff in your tranny, or hell breaks loose" scenario, I am willing to get full confirmation from Ford. I remember looking at the chart posted back in this thread, and it mentioning it CAN be used as an additive, That was a FORD transmission oil type chart, OR it appears to be a legit document.
Daysha can clear this right up for members that are thinking of adding this to their tranny, with FORD's blessings.

Years ago, when I first bought my 2003 full size van, I had taken it in for a basic oil change....it was just around 5,000 KM and book called for oil change at that interval... guy in service ALSO told me the diff oil needs to be changed after seating in, he also said a "NEW" additive to gear oil has been released by Dodge and would be added in as well, something to do with improving the lubrication to the internal clutch plates.....within 20 KM of leaving the dealership, the rear end was binding something nasty, and ended up being towed back resulting in the entire diff having to be replaced on Dodge's dime, so as the saying goes " once bitten, twice shy".
Just being very cautious with this guys, not trying to spook anyone here... Daysha comes back with positive findings regarding this additive, great!!!!

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
FordService

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekopel View Post
???

Anyone know?
It is not harmful, guys. However, like any other additive if you add too much of it itíll change the viscosity and cause slippage/damage. You should always consult with your service manager/tech at your dealer before adding anything to your vehicle.

Deysha
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

[quote=FordService;5934825]It is not harmful, guys. However, like any other additive if you add too much of it itíll change the viscosity and cause slippage/damage. You should always consult with your service manager/tech at your dealer before adding anything to your vehicle.

Deysha[/quote

Thanks for the answer Deysha, there you have it gentleman, no more, no less than what FORD recommends...

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page