MT-82 Transmission Additive Update - Page 17 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

PERFECT, now if only it wasnt on national back order and i could get my hands on some...

EKOPEL
2011 GT 5.0 PREMIUM
3.73, MT82, Short Shifter, Dropped, Steeda Adj. UCA, UPR Catch Can, 20x11's and 275s, Roush Exhaust, Steeda CAI, 91S and 91R tunes, Hawk/Brembos 4 corners, Black tails, heads, markers, emblems, etc, 2k watts audio, nav, roush front end w/fogs, roush rear and side lowers, roush 6 line grill, 43k on odo, getting ready for FI in a few months...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Candy REDCS View Post
It would be awesome if Deysha can confirm the compatibility of the XL-18 with the current tranny fluid FORD is filling up with. Long term negative effects are usually not immediate, but rather a slow degradation of oil/ components, then suddenly, you have issues on your hands... it could also constitute a decline of warranty...
Before everyone starts to interpret what I'm saying as " don't use this stuff in your tranny, or hell breaks loose" scenario, I am willing to get full confirmation from Ford. I remember looking at the chart posted back in this thread, and it mentioning it CAN be used as an additive, That was a FORD transmission oil type chart, OR it appears to be a legit document.
Daysha can clear this right up for members that are thinking of adding this to their tranny, with FORD's blessings.

Years ago, when I first bought my 2003 full size van, I had taken it in for a basic oil change....it was just around 5,000 KM and book called for oil change at that interval... guy in service ALSO told me the diff oil needs to be changed after seating in, he also said a "NEW" additive to gear oil has been released by Dodge and would be added in as well, something to do with improving the lubrication to the internal clutch plates.....within 20 KM of leaving the dealership, the rear end was binding something nasty, and ended up being towed back resulting in the entire diff having to be replaced on Dodge's dime, so as the saying goes " once bitten, twice shy".
Just being very cautious with this guys, not trying to spook anyone here... Daysha comes back with positive findings regarding this additive, great!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Candy REDCS View Post
Thanks for the answer Deysha, there you have it gentleman, no more, no less than what FORD recommends...
You’re very welcome, 5.0 Candy REDCS! There is no more info I can provide that I haven’t posted already on this additive.

Deysha

PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
It is not harmful, guys. However, like any other additive if you add too much of it itíll change the viscosity and cause slippage/damage. You should always consult with your service manager/tech at your dealer before adding anything to your vehicle.

Deysha
Thanks Deysha, what was the reasoning behind Ford saying not to use it at one point? Have they changed their mind about that now? Thanks again!

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade

PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekopel View Post
PERFECT, now if only it wasnt on national back order and i could get my hands on some...

I just ordered a bottle from AutoNation White Bear Lake (previously Tousley Ford) last Thursday and it arrived yesterday.

OEM Car & Truck Parts | Serving White Bear Lake, Minneapolis, St. Paul & Woodbury Minnesota | AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
Apprentice

I have a bottle for sale. Never opened. May ebay it this week. absolute 40 bucks a few months ago but what is the going rate now?

PONY Member

I feel like the syncros play a part in notchy shifting. If I delay inserting my shifter into 2nd gear fully, you can feel the syncro catch and place it into gear smoothly whereas if I try to go from 1st to 2nd gear naturally when the car is cold it feels forced and notchy. I might look into this additive but I also might just buy a new shifter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS MAN 13 View Post
Deysha mentioned in a prior post that all MT-82's made after 7-9-12 had XL-18 additive in the trans from the factory. My car was made 6-1-12, so it didn't have the additive. I asked my dealer for it, and they sent it to me by mail....................nice dealer!
That means I already have the additive. I ordered in August. I still have notchy shifting.
Rookie

I just added the xl-18 to mine, a local dealer had it in stock, it definitely made a big difference with all the gears, but 2nd is still notchy when cold once in while. It is better though.

Custom ordered 2012 Mustang GT Premium, Kona Blue, 3.73 rear, MT-82, Over the Top White Stripe and Optional 18" Polished Wheels. Built on Jan 4th, 2012.
Added: 2013GT Splash Guards, Ford GT Strut Tower Brace, MGW Shifter, Raxiom Smoked Aero Tail Lights, Moroso Air/Oil Separator, J&M Extreme Joint Rear Lower Control Arms, Infinity Reference 8602cfx speakers (x4).
PONY Member

Garage
I put some in a couple of weeks ago. Made a small improvement, nothing amazing. I already have an upgraded shifter so maybe that makes any improvement from the XL-18 less dramatic?

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
Apprentice

I appreciate that Desha is always here helping look out for us.

2012 GT Premium, Ingot Silver, 6SP, Brembo Pkg., Pedestal spoiler, Roush louvers, FRPP P Springs, F/R sway bars, adj. dampers, Flowmaster axle backs, Boss lower valence/splitter, Steeda shifter bracket, tint, Boss oil cooler, FRPP Brake cooling
JJH
Rookie

2nd gear was notchy on mine 'til the day I traded it. I had a MGW shifter which made the shifting pretty awesome except for 2nd. Additives and mystery oils just sound like a band-aid. Ford needs to step up and do the right thing already!

Black 2012 GT Premium Coupe
MT82 / 3.73 gears / Brembo Package
Rookie

I'm interested in this additive, but a little confused about the dates involved. Deysha said that the change to XT-11-QDC happened on 8/15/11, but my '12 GT was built on 6/27/11, so it still has whatever fluid came before that. Am I ok adding the XL-18 to it, or do I have to drain and fill with XT-11-QDC first?

Pat.

2012 GT Premium, 400A, Kona Blue, manual, electronics pkg, 3.73s, Brembos, no spoiler, no stripes.
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCam View Post
I'm interested in this additive, but a little confused about the dates involved. Deysha said that the change to XT-11-QDC happened on 8/15/11, but my '12 GT was built on 6/27/11, so it still has whatever fluid came before that. Am I ok adding the XL-18 to it, or do I have to drain and fill with XT-11-QDC first?

Pat.
Adding only the XL18 to your old fluid will be a waste of money and time.
You will see far more improvement by changing the trans fluid to QDC. Then the XL18 will improve on that a little.
I changed the fluid in my 12 GT after driving the car for nearly 2 years and it almost eliminated the 2 gear roughness, a month or so later I added the XL18 and I haven't had any 2 gear roughness since.

2012 GT Prem. Black, 6MT82, Brembo Package, Rear Sensing Security Package, Appearance Package #5 ,3.73 LS Axle, GT500 Axle Backs, MGW Shifter, FRPP Tune.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvanpool View Post
Adding only the XL18 to your old fluid will be a waste of money and time.
You will see far more improvement by changing the trans fluid to QDC. Then the XL18 will improve on that a little.
I changed the fluid in my 12 GT after driving the car for nearly 2 years and it almost eliminated the 2 gear roughness, a month or so later I added the XL18 and I haven't had any 2 gear roughness since.
Thanks for the info, Tvanpool!

Now, is this my best course of action, or are there any opinions about some other fluid such as Royal Purple or Redline, etc? I can still take the XL_18 back for a refund.

2012 GT Premium, 400A, Kona Blue, manual, electronics pkg, 3.73s, Brembos, no spoiler, no stripes.
Apprentice

The additive helps, had it in the Stang for about five months. Recently got around to installing my MGW shifer (awesome), that with the additive really made it as good as can be. I recommend that it be added regardless of shifter as it does make a little bit of a difference.

2012 Mustang GT Premium --- Red Candy
MT82 --- MGW Shifter
3.73s --- SR Performance Strut Tower Brace
Borla-S Axle Backs --- Boom
Black Bullets with Polished Lip
Raxiom Tinted Tail Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page