MT-82 Transmission Additive Update - Page 18 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

There is a TSB for dealers to fluid swap the QDC lube for those complaining about trans shifting. Stop in and talk to your service manger, see if they will change it out as per the tsb. I had to pay for the XL18 and have the parts dept order it, cause the dealer had not a clue about it. The dealer added the Xl18 with the QDC. Even tho Ford lists the XL18 as the current fill with the QDC lube...Well worth the 21 bucks...

2011 GT, MT6, Brembo, 401a, 3.73, Heart Throb H mid, Borla axle back, Hurst, Barton 2post, Michelin Super Sports, CDC chin spoiler, drilled rotors, Redline DCTF. 2013 GT500 Rear rotors and adapters, EDC red stuff, Energy Suspension <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> insert,

Last edited by ddtmoto; 09-24-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

Hello all! New to the forum and just purchased a new '14 GT. I read all the pages, and still couldn't determine if I need this additive. Does it apply to the '14s?

Please forgive my ignorance and thanks for the help!
-Alex

Apprentice
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW1985 View Post
Hello all! New to the forum and just purchased a new '14 GT. I read all the pages, and still couldn't determine if I need this additive. Does it apply to the '14s?

Please forgive my ignorance and thanks for the help!
-Alex
I believe all the 13's and 14's have a factory fill of the QDC. I think the XL18 has been omitted from the fill requirements and probably not in a 2014.
It probably won't hurt to add it but unless you are feeling roughness when shifting 1-2 it will not help anything and if you are having problems take it back and have the dealer check it before you do anything.

2012 GT Prem. Black, 6MT82, Brembo Package, Rear Sensing Security Package, Appearance Package #5 ,3.73 LS Axle, GT500 Axle Backs, MGW Shifter, FRPP Tune.

Rookie

heading to the dealer to buy a bottle today

nice

Last edited by kenv; 09-11-2014 at 04:52 PM.
PONY Member

Everything built after July 7th 2012 has XL18 in the gearbox, my car was built 6/1 I added it, it helped tremendously.

2013 BOSS 302 School Bus Yellow #1121
Apprentice

My dealer will put XL-18 to my transmission today (2011 GT). I hope that I will get my car back today...

2011 Mustang GT Premium
Apprentice

I got my car back today and WOW what a difference! I never had really bad problems with my MT-82, but XL-18 really made it a lot smoother. I only drove it less than 10 miles, but it was already clear improvement. I think that it will get even better when I get more miles on it. Might be placebo, but I would even say that my transmission is now little bit quieter than before

I paid ~$30 for XL-18 and my dealer charged $25 to install it. One of the best investments so far. I am really happy and I can recommend this to everyone who does not already have XL-18 installed.

2011 Mustang GT Premium
Apprentice

I can't find XL-18 at any of my dealers. So since my car was bought used with no warranty, I dicided to go the motorkote route, and I must admit it works great. This is also a friction reducer which from all the rading I've done is what XL-18 is. If my car was under warranty i would not have tried such a venture, but to be honest keep in mind anything that happens is on me anyhow!!!! But It works, still not as smooth as my t56 on my last ZO6 but a huge improvement from the clunky hard shifts I was experiancing.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob47v View Post
I can't find XL-18 at any of my dealers. So since my car was bought used with no warranty, I dicided to go the motorkote route, and I must admit it works great. This is also a friction reducer which from all the rading I've done is what XL-18 is. If my car was under warranty i would not have tried such a venture, but to be honest keep in mind anything that happens is on me anyhow!!!! But It works, still not as smooth as my t56 on my last ZO6 but a huge improvement from the clunky hard shifts I was experiancing.
Are you over 60K on the miles? I ask because I've seen many folks here not realize the power train warranty is 60K and they think the power train warranty is the same as the 36K bumper to bumper warranty.
Apprentice

Oh yes sorry to say I'm over 60k actually slightly over 80k. I got the car extremly cheap. But believe me it doesn't look it. Looks like a car with about 10k at most.

Last edited by rob47v; 12-24-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Apprentice

I hate to bring a old thread back from the dead, but since it seems the mt82 issues continue my own included , I found some information on other branded oil for the dual clutch tranie use https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=146&pcid=9, Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid, this stuff is german and works great what I used to work on Pentosin - Transmission Fluid, also ,Motorcraft dual clutch transmission fluid XT-11-QDC has the additive , [url]http://k-mansparts.com/Ford-Motorcraft-MT82-transmission-additive-XL-18-detail.htmn,,. $21.99 for 27 ml bottle is steep but if it works and help, beat the 400 I just spent for 4 pairs of blocker rings 2 shift forks and 3 seals plus my labor to pull the trans and send it to the local tremec shop that built the godzilla 5 speed for my factory 5 cobra
PONY Member

I have Royal Purple SyncroMax in my 15 since about 2.5k miles, have 21k now.

It made a big difference in the smoothness of the shifting. Still a little notchy going into 2nd when its cold (below 30F) until the tranny warms up.

Dave
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
I have Royal Purple SyncroMax in my 15 since about 2.5k miles, have 21k now.

It made a big difference in the smoothness of the shifting. Still a little notchy going into 2nd when its cold (below 30F) until the tranny warms up.

Dave
With this product, do you drain and replace all the gear oil, or is this used as an additive?

I'm guessing it's a replacement for all the gear oil, I just want to be clear. One of my 2014 GT's could use some improvement, the other is slick as snot.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
PONY Member

It is replacement lube for the gear box not an additive. Amsoil and Redline manual transmission lubes also work very well.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page