MT-82 Transmission Additive Update - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

I think this fluid comes straight from area 51, thats why its on back order, it has to clear homeland security initiatives!

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusman59 View Post
I wonder if the shortage is because its going in the transmision on the assembly line as they might have priority.
Excellent point!

GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
This additive doesn't necessarily mean you would have to go back to the Ford fluid to use it.
I would think you would have to if you wanted the best results. Various fluids have differently proportioned and structured friction modifiers in them. I have no doubt that Ford developed XL18 to work with their Motorcraft QDC, and not with MTL or Synchromax.

Sychros are pretty touchy with different fluids. The MT82 seems to be touchier than most, so I wouldn't chance it with a non-Ford spec oil.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

PONY Member

Harvey - you're the hero here - you actually went out and did what Ford said should be done and demonstrated that it works. Congratulations! It take courage to buck the internet wisdom, and you did it. Well done!

2014 GT500
Apprentice

So would this stuff be worth a shot if I'm already using Amsoil in the tranny?
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef97 View Post
So would this stuff be worth a shot if I'm already using Amsoil in the tranny?
If you are already using Amsoil MTF Synchromesh, you are wasting your money. Motorcraft DCT transmission fluid + the cost of the new "miracle" additive @ 39.00 per bottle is a rip off.

Especially when Amsoil MTF corrects all shifting issues in the MT-82, for all climates, and at only $9.80 per quart for preferred customers.

The money this thread will provoke Mustang owners to invest is astounding, when MTF has already solved the issue for a lot less.

2009 Shelby GT500
post #37 of 269 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ5Point0 View Post
Harvey - you're the hero here - you actually went out and did what Ford said should be done and demonstrated that it works. Congratulations! It take courage to buck the internet wisdom, and you did it. Well done!
I appreciate the pat on the back but YOU are the one that dug the information out of obscurity. If it wasn't for you sharp eye I'd still be driving around cursing my tranny. Good job to both of us. I sure hope this miracle drug becomes available for the rest of the sick patients.

Harvey

2016 GT/CS - Axle Back Flowmasters - Previous GTs (2000 - 2005 - 2012)
Apprentice

[QUOTE=UnleashedBeast;5016825]If you are already using Amsoil MTF Synchromesh, you are wasting your money.

I thought the transmission took the 75w-90 manual gear oil? I live in south texas and that's what I've been using for over a year now with no problems
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I'm not sure just what the issue is but my '13 is not having any issues in shifting. She only has about 5200 miles so if it's something that takes time to show up, that could explain it. Also, I don't race her so I'm not abusing the shifter or tranny. All gears seem very smooth going in or out though.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
If you are already using Amsoil MTF Synchromesh, you are wasting your money. Motorcraft DCT transmission fluid + the cost of the new "miracle" additive @ 39.00 per bottle is a rip off.

Especially when Amsoil MTF corrects all shifting issues in the MT-82, for all climates, and at only $9.80 per quart for preferred customers.

The money this thread will provoke Mustang owners to invest is astounding, when MTF has already solved the issue for a lot less.
Gotta agree with you on this one. Especially with the op replacing the oil and adding the mystery additive at the same time. There is no way to quantify which of the 2 made a difference. 3 quarts of MTF on order.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2012 Kona Blue Brembo GT, 3.55, TVS2300/Phase2, MGW Shifter
Apprentice

Amsoil MTF Synchromesh is 5w30. The MT-82 requires 75w90. Is the Amsoil safe to run in the MT-82.

2012 Mustang GT, Kona Blue, MGW STS,Steeda Sport Springs-Pro Action Shocks-C/C Plates,BMR panhard bar, Roush axlebacks, 3DCarbon Eleanor Grill, Steeda CAI& 93 tune
PONY Member

I got my XL-18 in today, but guess what they were out of stock on Dual Clutch trans fluid, so my review will have to wait a couple days..SMH. I am surprised at how hard to find this XL-18 is, However it does state on every single piece of the packaging "MT82 Trans Additive" so it is different than the XL17 that so many dealers use on engines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130829_142034_312.jpg
Views:	1137
Size:	759.4 KB
ID:	261897  

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Green View Post
I got my XL-18 in today, but guess what they were out of stock on Dual Clutch trans fluid, so my review will have to wait a couple days..SMH. I am surprised at how hard to find this XL-18 is, However it does state on every single piece of the packaging "MT82 Trans Additive" so it is different than the XL17 that so many dealers use on engines.
Please let us know how it turns out! I have a 2011 early build MT-82 which had the trams TSB done with whatever tranny oil the dealership used.

The car has around 15k miles and I wonder if I can just buy this additive, open the trans oil cap, dump this in and be good to go?

2011 GT 5.0 Performance White | 6SPD MT82
Borla | Corsa | 3DCarbon
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Green View Post
I got my XL-18 in today,
Where did you get a bottle of this?
Can you go get another and I will send you the cash to send the bottle to me?

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

Apprentice

"I want my XL-18 and I want it now.

-What do we want??

-XL-18!!!

-When do we want it??

-I'll f***ing cut you!!"

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

'12 GT Premium, Race Red, 6spd, Roush 575SC, JLT Oil Catch Can, MGW shifter, Eibach Pro springs, FRPP Jounce kit, Steeda Adj UCA, Shaftmasters Aluminum DS, J&M Adj Panhard, UPR PH Brace, J&M LCA's, Black C stripe, 1/4 louvers, Boss spoiler w fogs, 19" staggered Chrome GT500's, MGP Caliper covers, 7 bar AM Grill, rear camera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page