MT-82 Transmission Additive Update - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef97 View Post
I thought the transmission took the 75w-90 manual gear oil? I live in south texas and that's what I've been using for over a year now with no problems
Quote:
Originally Posted by slink View Post
Amsoil MTF Synchromesh is 5w30. The MT-82 requires 75w90. Is the Amsoil safe to run in the MT-82.
Ford changed the specification from 75W-90 transmission oil to a very light Dual Clutch transmission fluid that is about as viscous as Low Viscosity ATF. Ford hasn't used 75W-90 in this transmission since the first MT82 TSB was released.

Ford DTC fluid = 6.x cSt @ 100*C
Amsoil MTF = 9.x cSt @ 100*C
Ford 75W-90 = ~14.x cSt @ 100*C

Amsoil MTF Synchromesh is more viscous that Ford DTC fluid, but less viscous than the initial fill of Ford 75W-90 fluid. Everyone who uses Amsoil MTF on SVT Performance are very happy with their transmissions after the swap.

Ford DTC fluid is simply a very lightweight synchromesh formulation.

2009 Shelby GT500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlue View Post
Where did you get a bottle of this?
Can you go get another and I will send you the cash to send the bottle to me?
Tell your dealer to order it from their "master catalog". They told me it could take up to 2 weeks to come in due to the fact the "suppliers" don't stock it...but it came in 2 days later. They had never heard of it, but it is in their system.

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Weird......On the Amsoil webpage, there are no product recommendations for the Mt-82 in the 11+ Mustang GT. They list products for the Auto trans.

2014 Sterling Gray GT, A6, Roush TVS, FRPP springs, 20" Velgen wheels, Bassani axle back

GT Member

I use this fluid in my transmission... Motorcraft® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid...

I have tried many others and all I got was more gear whine and even worse shifting... The main issue with this car... Some morron at Ford, more than likely the same one that started calling a Boss engine a RoadRunner... that’s Plymouth... anyway.. designed the shifter attached to the body and everything else freedom to move... Seriously.

Maybe with some luck, the people that buy a 15 or newer do not have to deal with this genius-ness

Quote:
The results have been amazing. The notchiness is gone – the gear nibble is gone. On a cold morning I can shift directly into second like butter where before I had to leave second out of the shifting pattern for 10 minutes.

Harvey

Glad to see it worked well for you Harvey... I do have a questions.. You put this is like a week or so ago? You are in Southern California?... It is summer time... when have you had a cold morning? I know the true answer is a morning with less heat but really, what are you calling COLD?

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Yeah, cold in Cali may not mean the same up here!

2012 Mustang GT, Lava Red Metallic, Brembo, 401A, Cashmere leather, pedestal spoiler and hoodscoop. Mods - Boss shift knob, Weathertechs, GT fender badges, Steeda Ultra-lites/Tokico's D-specs/Steeda HD mounts & phb/GT500 iso's, 20% tint, Steeda UCA, Roush Axlebacks, Bassani X-pipe, no reso's, Painted lower valances, Boss mudflaps, MMD hood struts, MGW shifter, 275/40R19 Michelin Super Sports all around, Whiteline Sways/LCA's/Brackets, Steeda CAI, Bama 93 tune.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Hell, even here in the summer in GA, when I pull out of the garage in the mornings, the 1-2 shifts for the first two miles are crunchy until it warms up. I'm willing to give this a shot if I can get my hands on some!

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's
PONY Member

So, I assume the additive is only for the dual-clutch, present-day fluid? How do I know which fluid I have? I have a 2012. Was there a build-date cut-off for the use of the original fluid?
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyshepherd View Post
I have put about 250 miles on my car since adding the XL-18 additive to my MT-82. The transmission is still shifting flawlessly.
For those that didn’t read the original thread board member JAJ5Point0 diligently dug out the 2013 Motorcraft Transmission Fluid chart which mentioned (note 6) an additive (XL-18) that should be added to the MT-82 transmission. I seem to be the first one to try it and the results have been nothing short of phenomenal.
Prior to this I had installed the Barton two post bracket (it helped a little) and switched to Redline (it helped a little). With the new information from JAJ I switched back to the stock dual clutch fluid and added the 0.9 oz of XL-18.
The results have been amazing. The notchiness is gone – the gear nibble is gone. On a cold morning I can shift directly into second like butter where before I had to leave second out of the shifting pattern for 10 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistid View Post
where can it be purchased
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
whats the cost for a bottle? I have redline in there now, so Ill have to switch to the QDC dual clutch fluid, which that **** expensive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlue View Post
Well, this is just ducky, the additive is now out of stock and on backorder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
-What do we want??
-[SIZE=6]XL-18!!!

[SIZE=2]-When do we want it??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona stang10 View Post
I think this fluid comes straight from area 51, thats why its on back order, it has to clear homeland security initiatives!
Ok! I’ve done more research for you guys. This XL-18 additive should be available in a few weeks on Official Ford Parts Site | Buy Motorcraft & OEM Ford Parts Online | FordParts.com. There was some info missing on the site. Please keep checking it.

Deysha
Apprentice

So, is this XL-18 now part of the TSB for the MT82 issues, or are we expected to purchase and install on our own dime?

2011 GT, MT6, Brembo, 401a, 3.73, Heart Throb H mid, Borla axle back, Hurst, Barton 2post, Michelin Super Sports, CDC chin spoiler, drilled rotors, Redline DCTF. 2013 GT500 Rear rotors and adapters, EDC red stuff, Energy Suspension <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> insert,
Apprentice

I am hoping this additive is like most additive in that it is designed to work for the task at hand, not just for some unique oil. Diff limited slip and motor oil additives are not dependent on a particular oil/lube be used as it's carrier. I plan on adding Xl-18, if we ever see it, to a fresh change of MTL already doing a good job, but still a bit of 1 to 2nd hesitation when in the 50s out...

2011 GT, MT6, Brembo, 401a, 3.73, Heart Throb H mid, Borla axle back, Hurst, Barton 2post, Michelin Super Sports, CDC chin spoiler, drilled rotors, Redline DCTF. 2013 GT500 Rear rotors and adapters, EDC red stuff, Energy Suspension <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> insert,
Apprentice

I just bought my 2014 two weeks ago, how do I know if my manual trans has this XL-18 additive or not already installed?
I'd like to know for certain before I add in a bottle of this stuff

2014 Sterling Gray Gt 3.73's, MT82 Trans, Forgestar CF5's /w Michelin PSS tires, JLT Carbon fiber CAI, Bama 93R Tune, Borla S Catback, DSS Alum driveshaft, BMR springs, LCA, UCA, UCA mount, Panhard, Panhard brace, LCA Relo brackets, Viking Dbl adj shocks, Strange Adj struts, MGW shifter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I am having a terrible time trying to find this in Toronto Canada, So far I have three dealerships trying to find the product, I emailed them pics of the bottle and box and still nothing,

2014 GT Track Pack. JLT CAI. 94 dyno Tune,MBRP street catback, LCA, PHB, Springs.
PONY Member

I'm going to change my fluid out tomorrow (adding the XL-18). I will post its effectiveness on my car. I seem to have the same trouble as most on here with issues. If it works...YAY.. if not, I'll be the first to say so. As I said before.. For all you guys that can't find it, tell the parts counter guy to look it up in the "master catalog". He will then have to call to order it. It is not listed in the dealer computer system, and nobody but Ford has heard of it..including dealers.

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.
Apprentice

3 dealers in NoVa had not heard of it. All 3 found it thru their systems. 2 of the 3 told me I would have to buy a case of them....!. All had to order it, none stocked. Convinced the 3rd dealer to buy a case and sell me 1 bottle. Stay tuned....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Cheers; JOE

2011 Sterling Grey GT Premium, 6MT, Brembo, 3:73, GT500 axlebacks, tint, Rousch white billiard ball shift knob, Stack Racing lower black billet grille.
Apprentice

OK folks, sorry for the stupid question but what problem does adding the additive solve? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page