MT-82 Transmission Additive Update - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

I can see it now well if 1 bottle all you need we just dump in 3 bottles to be safe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Well this morning at 5:00am I crank up and pull out on my way to work annnnd, 1st, right into second on a cold car. It has never went into second when the car was cold. I could alway start out in 2nd but never go 1-2. So the XL-18 did something. My fluid history is QS, QDC, Redline MTL, and now QDC with XL-18. We shall see how XL-18 likes 30 degree weather this winter, but for now it IS shifting better.

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Green View Post
Well this morning at 5:00am I crank up and pull out on my way to work annnnd, 1st, right into second on a cold car. It has never went into second when the car was cold. I could alway start out in 2nd but never go 1-2. So the XL-18 did something. My fluid history is QS, QDC, Redline MTL, and now QDC with XL-18. We shall see how XL-18 likes 30 degree weather this winter, but for now it IS shifting better.

That's good news. keep us posted

2014 GT Track Pack. JLT CAI. 94 dyno Tune,MBRP street catback, LCA, PHB, Springs.

Apprentice

XL-18 is a friction modifier, much like XL-3 for the differential. If you've ever heard the 8.8" without XL-3 in it, you'd understand XL-3's quieting/smoothing properties. The formulation was likely changed from XL-3 to work in the MT82. Heck, it may even be the same stuff in a different labeled bottle, just so customers wouldn't ask why they are using differential friction modifier in their transmission.

What color is XL-18? Does it look dark blueish/green?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcharlie View Post
Weird......On the Amsoil webpage, there are no product recommendations for the Mt-82 in the 11+ Mustang GT. They list products for the Auto trans.
Amsoil removed all MT82 recommendations from their website soon as customers starting having trouble with the transmission. Knowing it's mechanical failure, Amsoil wanted no part of it.

2009 Shelby GT500
PONY Member

XL-18 is medium tan color, similar to the color of QDC or regular motor oil. All I know is it is now day 3 and its even better. After adding it with fresh QDC the first run out of the driveway was better, but not convincing but after about 150 miles now, all I can say is wow. This is a totally differnt gearbox. 2nd gear blockout and notchyness on a cold car is gone, 3rd gear nibble before warmup gone ,4th gear slight whine gone. The shifter just feels the way it did in all of my previos Mustangs. Just slides right into gear. As far as longevity of the modifier, who knows. But I do know it has made me love my car again, before the nagging "wonder if this gear will engage" for the first 15 of driving is gone. I would recommend for everyone that has the same issues as me to go get a bottle. If this turns out to be bad for the tranny down the road, oh well....Ford recommended it so its their problem . Powertrain warranty is 60k and I'm at 15k, so I can give this XL-18 a good long test.

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.
post #81 of 269 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Green View Post
XL-18 is medium tan color, similar to the color of QDC or regular motor oil. All I know is it is now day 3 and its even better. After adding it with fresh QDC the first run out of the driveway was better, but not convincing but after about 150 miles now, all I can say is wow. This is a totally differnt gearbox. 2nd gear blockout and notchyness on a cold car is gone, 3rd gear nibble before warmup gone ,4th gear slight whine gone. The shifter just feels the way it did in all of my previos Mustangs. Just slides right into gear. As far as longevity of the modifier, who knows. But I do know it has made me love my car again, before the nagging "wonder if this gear will engage" for the first 15 of driving is gone. I would recommend for everyone that has the same issues as me to go get a bottle. If this turns out to be bad for the tranny down the road, oh well....Ford recommended it so its their problem . Powertrain warranty is 60k and I'm at 15k, so I can give this XL-18 a good long test.
I feel better now that someone else is getting the same results I got. Since I live in San Diego I only have one pair of long pants and I'm not sure where they are so I have no experience with really cold weather. It will be interesting to see how the guys in the northern states do this winter. I hated my tranny for 18 months and now I love it - good luck to all.

Harvey

2016 GT/CS - Axle Back Flowmasters - Previous GTs (2000 - 2005 - 2012)
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

My '13, that I bought this last winter, only has 5.5k on it but I have no problems with the tranny. This may just lend credence to what Brian Cour said about it being in the newer cars. Really, I'm happy with everything about my car.
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangInTexas View Post
My '13, that I bought this last winter, only has 5.5k on it but I have no problems with the tranny. This may just lend credence to what Brian Cour said about it being in the newer cars. Really, I'm happy with everything about my car.
I have a 14 and works great, but after it warms up.

2014 GT Track Pack. JLT CAI. 94 dyno Tune,MBRP street catback, LCA, PHB, Springs.
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Ordered a bottle today from Tousley for 19$.
Nobody has it in stock it comes directly from the supplier as it isnt available at the Ford depot yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2012 Grabber Blue GT, 6sp, FRPP Aluminator, 75mm pulley, Lund tuned Roushcharger, Roush cai, ID1000, Kooks super street, Magnafllow Street Series Axleback, MGW shifter, Steeda comp springs, Dynotech driveshaft, Koni Sport, BMR LCA & UCA ,Whiteline Watts link, Whiteline swaybars, JPC linelock, Forgestar F14 on Michelin SS 275/35/20 and 315/35/20
JL audio speakers & amp, Audio control LC2i, Raamaudio Ensolite.
Rookie

I put $60 of Royal Purple 75w90 gear(not SM) and $50 for Jiffy Lube to put it in. It shifts great when warm and for some reason leaks thru vent tube now and then. I wish I had known there was an additive. I really would like the smooth shift all the time because its als a daily driver,

2011 GT 5.0 Manual, 3.73 Brembo, Grey, Steeda CAI, SCT 93 Steeda tune, Eibach 1.5 lowered, camber bolt, MichelinPSS 275, tinted, roush grill, MT DR's. AT flowmaster catback , 1/4 et 12.6.
Rookie

Is there any place I can call that would ship the fluid to my house? I have called two dealers in the Pittsburgh area but none of them were able (or willing) to get me the product.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
...Amsoil removed all MT82 recommendations from their website soon as customers starting having trouble with the transmission. Knowing it's mechanical failure, Amsoil wanted no part of it.
I'm not sure it's fair to call it a "mechanical failure". More that the MT-82 is a "picky eater". For the majority of cases, the factory stuff works fine. For the edge cases, some aftermarket products work better, and now Ford has brought out an additive to help those edge cases perform better.

Regardless, Amsoil's decision to keep their distance from a no-win situation was probably wise.

2014 GT500
GT Member

Amoil doing fine by me, I've had it in for 2 years not 1 issue!

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSTANGBUZZ View Post
I put $60 of Royal Purple 75w90 gear(not SM) and $50 for Jiffy Lube to put it in. It shifts great when warm and for some reason leaks thru vent tube now and then. I wish I had known there was an additive. I really would like the smooth shift all the time because its als a daily driver,

Because they overfilled it
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

It's funny that most everyone here has the transmission problem. Ford is saying that like only 3% of the MTs have a problem. We must have all 3% here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page