MT-82 Transmission Additive Update - Page 7 - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Banned
 
stevegt2012's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,226
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSTANGBUZZ View Post
It shifts great when warm and for some reason leaks thru vent tube now and then.
That's 'cause Iffy Lube overfilled it. Correct level is 1/8" below filler hole. It should stop once the excess is blown out.

stevegt2012 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
GT Member
 
Kona stang10's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,168
 
I dont have any tranny problems even with 629 hp going through it. Theres a difference between having an actual problem and wanting your tranny to be better!


2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
Kona stang10 is offline  
Rookie
 
MUSTANGBUZZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: 33 valley dr
Posts: 49
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangInTexas View Post
It's funny that most everyone here has the transmission problem. Ford is saying that like only 3% of the MTs have a problem. We must have all 3% here.
Yes I think its more for prevention than actual a bad tranny. I drag it sometimes once a week a want it to not only shift smoother/faster but last longer with the aggressive shifts. Like with everything else I replaced on it that turned to make a real sports car I also changed fluids.

2011 GT 5.0 Manual, 3.73 Brembo, Grey, Steeda CAI, SCT 93 Steeda tune, Eibach 1.5 lowered, camber bolt, MichelinPSS 275, tinted, roush grill, MT DR's. AT flowmaster catback , 1/4 et 12.6.
MUSTANGBUZZ is offline  
 
GT Member
 
pdmustgt's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,160
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangInTexas View Post
It's funny that most everyone here has the transmission problem. Ford is saying that like only 3% of the MTs have a problem. We must have all 3% here.
Yep, that's because one who have issues scream the loudest. If that what Ford is saying it's mostly true. I know guys with issues will say NO it's more than that because internet forums say so. Forums don't represent all the Mustang owners
pdmustgt is offline  
PONY Member
 
skulls's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Portland
Posts: 398
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
Yep, that's because one who have issues scream the loudest. If that what Ford is saying it's mostly true. I know guys with issues will say NO it's more than that because internet forums say so. Forums don't represent all the Mustang owners
100% correct! Also most people on forums beat the sh!t out of thier car and notice things like this more, than the average driver.

It's like when I see threads of guys saying they waive to other mustang drivers and they DONT waive back or when talking with them aren't as giddy about thier car...people on forums are massive enthusiasts, a massive majority arent that way...

How many people are on this forum that have a mt-82 trans? Let's shoot for the sky and say 1,000 and anytime I read these threads there are maybe 50-75 people that complain...and how many mustangs has Ford sold with the mt-82....thousands upon thousands..so yes it is very conceiveble that it's only 3%. Plus an independent investigation was launched and it was determined it's not a massive issue, like everyone seems to think on the forums, like we are the only ford customers...lol...it sucks, but its not a sky is falling epidemic like the forum folk think it is.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
skulls is offline  
Apprentice
 
SleeperJoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Independent Hill
Posts: 127
 
XL-18 can be purchased through Ted Britt Ford Chantilly Va, cost out the door $24.08.
I have installed the .91 oz bottle and will report back later after I can evaluate if for a few days, etc.

Thx...

Cheers; JOE

2011 Sterling Grey GT Premium, 6MT, Brembo, 3:73, GT500 axlebacks, tint, Rousch white billiard ball shift knob, Stack Racing lower black billet grille.
SleeperJoe is offline  
PONY Member
 
mmike87's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Fluvanna County
Posts: 394
 
I assume the additive is only for the dual-clutch fluid? How do you know what fluid you have? Build date?
mmike87 is offline  
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
MustangInTexas's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Round Rock
Posts: 563
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skulls View Post
100% correct! Also most people on forums beat the sh!t out of thier car and notice things like this more, than the average driver.

It's like when I see threads of guys saying they waive to other mustang drivers and they DONT waive back or when talking with them aren't as giddy about thier car...people on forums are massive enthusiasts, a massive majority arent that way...

How many people are on this forum that have a mt-82 trans? Let's shoot for the sky and say 1,000 and anytime I read these threads there are maybe 50-75 people that complain...and how many mustangs has Ford sold with the mt-82....thousands upon thousands..so yes it is very conceiveble that it's only 3%. Plus an independent investigation was launched and it was determined it's not a massive issue, like everyone seems to think on the forums, like we are the only ford customers...lol...it sucks, but its not a sky is falling epidemic like the forum folk think it is.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yeah, I understand and agree with all of this. I was just being Capt. Obvious. Many people will come here after they have a problem and are seeking answers.
MustangInTexas is offline  
PONY Member
 
skulls's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Portland
Posts: 398
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangInTexas View Post
Yeah, I understand and agree with all of this. I was just being Capt. Obvious. Many people will come here after they have a problem and are seeking answers.
Im glad you agree...many people feel it's an epidemic and feel the forums are there proof.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
skulls is offline  
Apprentice
 
SleeperJoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Independent Hill
Posts: 127
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
I assume the additive is only for the dual-clutch fluid? How do you know what fluid you have? Build date?
Yes, Build date. The early 2011 and 2012? Mustangs came with the heavier QS fluid. The fluid was changed in 2012? When exactly I do not know. I am sure someone on the forums knows the answer.

Cheers; JOE

2011 Sterling Grey GT Premium, 6MT, Brembo, 3:73, GT500 axlebacks, tint, Rousch white billiard ball shift knob, Stack Racing lower black billet grille.
SleeperJoe is offline  
PONY Member
4.6L Member
 
Jimmy Toronto's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: toronto
Posts: 489
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojobee View Post
Ordered a bottle today from Tousley for 19$.
Nobody has it in stock it comes directly from the supplier as it isnt available at the Ford depot yet.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Called them up as well, will have me a bottle in a few days, Thanks for the info,

2014 GT Track Pack. JLT CAI. 94 dyno Tune,MBRP street catback, LCA, PHB, Springs.
Jimmy Toronto is offline  
Apprentice
 
dewyrussler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 146
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperJoe View Post
XL-18 can be purchased through Ted Britt Ford Chantilly Va, cost out the door $24.08.
I have installed the .91 oz bottle and will report back later after I can evaluate if for a few days, etc.

Thx...
Do you know if they have it in stock? Or do you have to order it? I'm only about 3-4 miles from there (that's where I bought my Mustang). Maybe I'll swing by this week.

Thanks!

-1983 5.0 GT Red/Black.5MT.3:73.FMS Lowering Springs
-2011 5.0 GT Prem.Kona Blue.6MT.19" Nickel Wheels.3:73.Comf Pack. Blk/Cshmr Int
dewyrussler is offline  
Apprentice
 
SleeperJoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Independent Hill
Posts: 127
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewyrussler View Post
Do you know if they have it in stock? Or do you have to order it? I'm only about 3-4 miles from there (that's where I bought my Mustang). Maybe I'll swing by this week.

Thanks!
They have to order it, 3 days max. See Collin and or Matt at parts.... Thx.

Cheers; JOE

2011 Sterling Grey GT Premium, 6MT, Brembo, 3:73, GT500 axlebacks, tint, Rousch white billiard ball shift knob, Stack Racing lower black billet grille.
SleeperJoe is offline  
Apprentice
 
SleeperJoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Independent Hill
Posts: 127
 
XL-18 Picked up at Ted Britt Ford Chantilly Va on 9/14/13 @9am, cost out the door $24.08.
Installed additive 9/14/13 @10am.

Car:
Early Build (June 2010) 2011 Mustang GT Brembo, 17.5K miles. 3:73 gears, trans factory filled with "QS"fluid, Stock shifter, cue ball knob, replaced cheesey stock rubber shifter bushing with polyurethane bushing ($20.00). Trans makes no noise, whining or whirring...never did and still is quiet after 3 different fluids. Car completely stock except for what's listed above. Car has not had any warranty or other service other than regular LOF every 5K miles and the TSB applied to fix hot hard start issues.

Trans issues:
1.Shifting into 2nd when cold, the typical nibble and or light grind. Learned to skip 2nd until eng warmed to temp. The colder out the worse the nibble/grind.
2.Occasional issue with finding 1st from stop.... have to reset to neutral, move to 2nd then re-engage 1st.
3.Trans at times appears inconsistent, sometimes notchy and vague in the 1st 4 gears. Most of time trans works well when hot.
4.Shifting 1st to 2nd when making turns, will grind or nibble every time regardless of direrction turned or temp of trans.


History/Observations/experience:
Shifted great the summer of 2010 (took delivery 6/29/2010). Shifted bad from 1st to 2nd fall/winter of 2010 when trans cold. Spring of 2011 switched from QS to Redline MTL which appeared to help some (maybe 10-15% improvement when trans cold) then of course the weather warmed and little isue with trans during summer months. (Although inconsistencies from time to time, occasional nibble into 3rd/4th when trans is fully warmed).
Late 2012 changed to QDC fluid, again a slight improvement in cold weather shifting, not enough to write mom though.
9/14/2013 added the XL-18 and noticed a slight improvement in feel.
Car sat outside overnight here in No. Va. (9/18/13) and temp dropped to 42F. 75 miles at this point on additive. Start, warm for 2 minutes take off in 1st, shift to 2nd and boom the dreaded nibble/grind. 8 miles to work... trans shifted fine once I neared work.

Conclusions:
1. Nibble/grind still apparent, no change noted. (Will it lessen after more miles?)
2. Finding 1st appeared better, although not a big deal to start with.
3. Shifting appears cleaner and crisper once warmed. I did notice an improvement in all around feel.
4. No change and frankly did not expect any as this appears to be motor mount related and the movement that occurs between motor/trans and the body mounted shifter. (Next upgrade: Whiteline trans insert once they finalize their design for NVH?)

Miles on XL-18 to date = 91 miles.

More eval to come as miles rack up.

In a nutshell: Some improvement and moving in the right direction. Certainly isn't making anything worse. Magic bullet? No such thing. Certainly others have worse issues and the vast majority have little to no issues.


All things mechanical have idiosyncrasies and you learn to live with them (Or die trying).

I'm probably one of the luckier ones, the only real issue is cold trans and shifting around corners. (Sounds like a personal problem).


Standard disclaimers apply. Placebo affect is always there since I am human. Your mileage may (read "will") vary .

Stay tuned.

.... Thx.

Cheers; JOE

2011 Sterling Grey GT Premium, 6MT, Brembo, 3:73, GT500 axlebacks, tint, Rousch white billiard ball shift knob, Stack Racing lower black billet grille.
SleeperJoe is offline  
PONY Member
S197 Member
 
jnagy75's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Greenville
Posts: 949
 
I have always had trouble while turning even with stiffer motor mounts. Removed them due to NVH. Hoping this additive helps some. we'll see. If all else fails (including transmission) they can be had for dirt cheap.


2011 v6 PP Race Red
Flowmaster Super 44's
K&N Drop In
3.73 Rear End
Axle Exchange Driveshaft
jnagy75 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1